Apt electrolysis

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

fudwamper

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Ok I have had my Dish up since August 2008 and this is what my sat dish looks like.
Polesetup.jpg

electrolysis.jpg

I am thinking it is the bolts/nuts mixed with the Hawaii's heavy mineral water. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?

Right now I unplugged my receiver from power and took the dish off the setup. The penny was a suggestion to divert the electrolysis away from the bolts and nuts and to it.

Ok I have had my Dish up since August 2008 and this is what my sat dish looks like.
Polesetup.jpg

electrolysis.jpg

I am thinking it is the bolts/nuts mixed with the Hawaii's heavy mineral water. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?

Right now I unplugged my receiver from power and took the dish off the setup. The penny was a suggestion to divert the electrolysis away from the bolts and nuts and to it.
Your pics did not tell much, did anything touch the electrical wire ??

7 months does not seem like nearly enough time for serious rusting to happen. I have never been to Hawaii though.

When my father lived in Fl. he had to wash the car down daily with fresh water because salt spray on the coast caused rapid corrosion of the metal. Depending on where you live that could be your cause.

dielectric grease would prevent this also auto parts stores have a product that prevents corrosion on battery terminals that would probably work also

For stuff on the back side of the dish, CRC makes a metal protectant that is good for stuff like this. Storefronts that offer satellite or radio gear should be able to recommend something that works.

For those not familiar with salt air, an air conditioning heat exchanger may literally turn to powder in less than 15 years if it isn't protected with a anode.

Rust perforation in an auto body panel may happen within two to three years.

Nothing you can do now except buy a new Dish. Other than that you would need to spray down the exposed metal with some sort of clear coat paint to prevent it from rusting.

What does a clear coat paint do that other paints don't? Nothing, actually. What the poster needs is a paint that will keep air from getting to the metal. There are a few out there. The one I use on my Studebakers is POR15. It runs around $32/quart, but it is worth it.

CRC's Soft Seal works really well (but it imparts a yellowed color). My employer uses it to protect unpainted steel on products destined for the Sandwich Islands.

Note that most of the "damage" is confined to the fasteners. You can easily replace the fasteners if they get too nasty. Replacing them with stainless might make them look better, but it might also cause something that isn't currently corroding to start. In salt air, something must corrode and it is managing what corrodes that is most important.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)