SWM setup in apt, signal goes out every few days

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dbogey

Original poster
May 17, 2012
Iowa
I have a SWM setup in an apartment, about the max 200 ft, 150 to splitter, another 30 ft to power inserter. System works fine for 5 days, then goes out for 3 days, again for some reason signal comes back in, very sporatic.

Is this due to the long cable run? It might be little longer but guessing on length. If it is too long of run would it not work all the time or can it be intermittent?

When we setup we had signals in the 90's.

What kind of message are you getting? 771 Searching for satellite? or 771A "Cannot Communicate with dish"?

no.... on non-pen roof mount, basement that home run to apartment. Power inserter is behind TV so it is at the farthest point.
I did not replace the wallplate with Directv approved connector.

dbogey said:
no.... on non-pen roof mount, basement that home run to apartment. Power inserter is behind TV so it is at the farthest point.
I did not replace the wallplate with Directv approved connector.

Wall plate needs replaced but it sounds like something is wrong with the cabling between PI and LNB

Thanks,
With it being so intemitent, you thinking connectors or barrel couplers? Best just to redo all connectors?
Could the two way DirecTV splitter be issue also?

Is it chance the cable is too long? We might be pushing 200 ft, maybe 250. Or first change connectors?

dbogey said:
Thanks,
With it being so intemitent, you thinking connectors or barrel couplers? Best just to redo all connectors?
Could the two way DirecTV splitter be issue also?

Splitter is unlikely. It could be connectors or it could even be something in line. I've seen cable splitters work on the PI line for months before burning up and doing the same thing. I'd start with connectors and the wall plate

are their amps that will help if too long or do best to shorten up? might be able to get 30-40 ft out if that would help.

Hutch, wouldn't he be better with the pi closer to the dish?

Thought about that as well... I don't know my options as there is no power in the basement but will look at that also.

Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)