New apt has a dish and I don't want to pay DTV to install, please help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MacStateofMind

Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Denver, CO
I just moved and though I was told they would install my service for FREE, they want $235 to hook up the new dish. However there appears to be a Direct TV dish wired into the house already. How do I hook it up and see. I've been messing with it for a couple hrs now and it just says it cannot connect to the satellite and it gives error 771A. Can anyone please help, I'm about to loose my mind!

Use the movers connection plan. I just moved and my place already had a dish. They looked at it but decided to replace it. I didn't pay for anything and got an HR34 free and HBO/Max for free

I just moved and though I was told they would install my service for FREE, they want $235 to hook up the new dish. However there appears to be a Direct TV dish wired into the house already. How do I hook it up and see. I've been messing with it for a couple hrs now and it just says it cannot connect to the satellite and it gives error 771A. Can anyone please help, I'm about to loose my mind!

You have to verify that the dish ( Directv dish & not a DISH dish) is connected to your equipment. The 771A error is telling you that your receiver is not getting a signal from the satellite. The dish could be moved, your receivers may not be connected correctly, there could be a defect in the existing dish.

Without more information you just have to start checking cable and fittings to make sure you are connected.

Say why there is a charge for the FREE installation, plz.

Joe (former Directv installer)

:welcome to Satelliteguys MacStateofMind!

As Joe mentioned, there are many things that could be wrong, preventing it from working. Can you tell us what type of equipment you have? Include everything, the dish, receivers/dvrs, switches, etc.

Mac,
If you set the TV to channel 1 or 100 or 200 and the dish is pointed correctly, you'll get a picture, service or not. (sounds like you may have service already, but not sure).

Guys,
Doesn't the "a" designate a SWM issue, vs no "a" ...
If so, the sub may need to find the Power Inserter ?

771a is an SWM problem, nothing to do with signal strength.
Possibilities are:
1. The receiver the OP is trying to connect was last used on an SWM system and the new dish isn't SWM. Solution - connect the receiver to the new dish, go into satellite setup, select "multiswitch" and then select the type of dish you are connected to. You must do it in this sequence.
OR 2. The new dish is an SWM dish and there is no power inserter connected, the previous tenant probably took it with them. Solution - buy an SWM power inserter, like this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001YHBYXA/?tag=satell01-20

As correctly pointed out, the 771 A error is a Single Wire Multiswitch issue (SWM). 771 is signal absent & the set up menu or red button reset (RBS)could help. Seeing what is on ch 100 will speak volumes.

My thought is more fundamental. With a move-in painters, roofers and real estate clean up people tend to cut cable off at the floor as do carpet folks. Previous tenants will remove installation equipment just because it is theirs and they want everything. So you really do have to verify everything that did work is still there and still correctly adjusted.

With the SWM....the splitter and PI could be gone, for example.

Directv will do this inspection & installation......FREE.

Joe

Suggestion: Take a picture of the Dish and post it here. If we can see it, most likely we can tell you what type of Dish it is. That'll get you a lot closer to a solution. Otherwise, we're just guessing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)