Best deal on New Customer?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

OV_HDFan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Evansville,IN
I think I have decided to switch from Dish to Directv. I am wondering what my best deal would be on the following:

Genie
4 C31's
Choice Xtra

Can I combine AAA and Referral discount are there any additional discount I am missing or is this the way to go?

Thanks,
Bryan

Some have had success combining AAA and Referral, some have had to make several calls to confirm the referral happened. Some ended up just getting the AAA. I think the fine print (not that you can find it) limits combining, but there has been success in the past. You would need to start with the AAA number and if they won't do the referral call Directv BEFORE activation.

I know this is a matter of personal opinion. Will I kick myself for getting the genie/c31 system installed? I dont mind minor glitches, but I do like my tv to work when I turn it on.

The Genie is pretty stable. The clients still have a few bugs but I imagine they'll be much better over the next few months as they iron out the software. The clients have only been out for a couple months at most.

I would go for the genie/client system, within a short time it will be very solid and you'll have an excellent setup, provided you don't ever want to record more than 4-5 things at a time. (Clients take a tuner when watching live TV).

I know this is a matter of personal opinion. Will I kick myself for getting the genie/c31 system installed? I dont mind minor glitches, but I do like my tv to work when I turn it on.
depends on your recording habits and viewers
with 4 clients connected and watching ont he genie, there are no tuners left to record
i would try for a genie, and 4 h24's or h25's
the lack of a tuner in any client criples a system

depends what you are willing to pay for
with swm16 its 16 tuners
thats an hmc and 11 clients

There is a max of 3 C31's per account from my understanding. Also the C31 doesn't take a SWM port so you don't count them in the total amount of tuners.

Edit: Just saw that you can have more but only 3 C31's can be used at any one time. At that point I would only go past the 3 clients if you have a location that is rarely used.

Last edited:

I personally like the C31's instead of having individual tuners in each of my rooms. The only issue that I have personally seen so far is that the kids need to remember to turn off the C31's so it frees up the tuner when not in use. Others have had problems but I think all of those will be soon gone as they update the software over the next couple of months.

Sorry actually would be 1 HR34 and 3 C31's for a total of 4 locations. Will D* give me any trouble trying to order the AM21 OTA Tuner since it is not officially supported on the HR34?
I appreciate all the help and input.

Last I heard the AM21 wasn't an option for them to order on HR34 only accounts.

It will work fine, you just need to buy it elsewhere, something setup wrong in Directv's system that it is only an option on H21-24 and HR21-24.

Hey, I'm a new directv subscriber coming over from cable and really love the switch so far. I have the Genie and 1 client and its been pretty solid for the most part..however there are times you need to reset the main Genie for the client to get going small 5-7min process but other than that its great. I imagine it'll be fixed in a fw update soon. With the Genie you get lots of space (have tons of movies and still 85% free), can record up to 5 shows and overall am happy with it.

Sorry actually would be 1 HR34 and 3 C31's for a total of 4 locations. Will D* give me any trouble trying to order the AM21 OTA Tuner since it is not officially supported on the HR34?
I appreciate all the help and input.
AM21 works fine with HR34, it will scan all local channels for you. You can also view channels on the C31 clients. Be careful when you order through D*, they might want to charge an extra $50 for total of $100 for being "new customer" with no billing history. I got mine from Solid Signal. You can also check with the installer during the install, might be $50, I didn't.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)