ARCHOS 605 WiFi and 705 WiFi Portable Media Players to Connect With DISH Receivers

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
ARCHOS 605 WiFi and 705 WiFi Portable Media Players to Connect With DISH Network(R) Receivers for High-Speed Movie and TV Show Transfers: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

ARCHOS 605 WiFi and 705 WiFi Portable Media Players to Connect With DISH Network(R) Receivers for High-Speed Movie and TV Show TransfersMonday December 17, 2:19 pm ET

DENVER, CO--(MARKET WIRE)--Dec 17, 2007 -- Consumers who long to transfer their favorite movies and TV programs from their DISH Network® (NasdaqGS:DISH - News) receivers to their ARCHOS Portable Media Players (PMPs) can now do so in record time through a simple plug-in download. The plug-in is offered exclusively to DISH Network subscribers with a VIP722(TM) or VIP622(TM) high-definition receiver, and is compatible with the ARCHOS 705 WiFi and 605 WiFi players. The plug-in is available today at ARCHOS. The full line of Archos PMPs are available today at many retail outlets. Beginning in January, the Archos 605 and 705 models will also be available at retail outlets where DISH Network satellite TV service is sold.

"The DISH Network plug-in will allow consumers to transfer content faster than real-time from their DISH Network receiver to an Archos PMP. A two-hour movie can be transferred in just a few minutes," said Henri Crohas, founder and chief executive officer at ARCHOS. "Now DISH Network subscribers with a VIP622 or VIP722 receiver can experience the fastest transfer times to their ARCHOS players, getting them out of the house faster and enjoying their favorite TV shows anywhere and anytime."

The exclusive ARCHOS plug-in for DISH Network customers is part of a larger strategic alliance between parent company EchoStar Communications Corporation and ARCHOS that has been in place for almost three years. EchoStar partnered with ARCHOS in 2005 as the primary provider in their portable device strategy because of ARCHOS' reputation as an innovator and manufacturer of the most advanced PMPs on the market.

There will not be any PocketDish units, they will all be called Archos Media Players from now on.

The new Archos players were supposed to be able to store and play HD (Although not in HD resolution) but I am hearing a few content providers put a stop of offloading HD content to the portable device.

Yeah the providers will control what they want out there and in what format..

The new Archos players were supposed to be able to store and play HD (Although not in HD resolution) but I am hearing a few content providers put a stop of offloading HD content to the portable device.

Why am I not surprised the Content Providers are being scrooges about the HD content being offloaded?

There will not be any PocketDish units, they will all be called Archos Media Players from now on.

so this is the best player dish will prolly ever have out?

Actually I think the first 7 inch model was the best. Although having WIFI is cool, I would imagine that the battery time would be a lot less then the origional units.

I checked Archos website and could not locate that plug-in firmware. BTW, when I called Archos last weekend, I was told the plug-in won't be available until early next year. Do I miss something here.

I noticed on their site they just came out with a firmware update today. But yeah I dont see any new plug-in's maybe next month..

ARCHOS

Download Archos 705 Wifi OS v 1.7.13 (37058Kb

Just called Archos customer service again and they have not been notified about this new plug-in yet. But at least confirmed it is not available yet. Do hope it will show up by mid-night of today.

Can't understand why content providers would be wary of the Archos players having HD content moved on to them. Since they would not display the content in HD, and it would be encrypted just like it would be on an EHD attached to a 622/722, seems like the same rules would apply.

Next cool plugin for the 605 WiFi and 705 WiFi would be a Slingbox player app. Watch your downloaded content while you are mobile, and have the option of watching live content when you are near a WiFi hotspot. The ultimate TV watching gadget! :D

The new firmware is up - but I had to access it from my PC, for some reason it did not show up on my 605 or 705. Does anyone know if having hooked up an external hard drive in the past or present to a 622 or 722 causes a problem with the new Archos plugin? I suffer from reboots on my receivers when trying to transfer content to my 605 or 705. My 622 tells me that I have too many devices hooked up to USB - even though my external Seagate is hooked up to my 722. I may have hooked up my external hard drive to my 622 in the past to see what would happen, but I do not recall. At any rate, I receive reboots at various points with both my 622 and 722. Do I ned to return to original factory settings? Is it impossible to use a Archos and External Hard Drive with a receiver - even if the external hard drive is unplugged? Are any ARchos users out there also using external hard drives like me? Frustrated, I really want this feature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)