Archos has a PC Tablet like the ipad

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jimjo3298

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Fremont Nebraska
These are specs right of the Archos website, about their PC tablet. Just because Apple thinks they are the leader in i this and i that, doesn't mean it is superior to other product that are already available.

Tech Specs

PROCESSOR Intel ATOM Z510 1.1 GHz DISPLAY 8.9” LED backlight
1024x600 pixels
Resistive touch screen
Video chipset: Intel Poulsbo US15W OPERATING SYSTEM Microsoft® Windows® 7 Starter Edition SYSTEM MEMORY 1GB onboard (DDR2 SDRAM 400) HARD DRIVE HDD 60GB (1.8”) COMMUNICATION WiFi: PCI-E interface, 1 antenna, support IEEE 802.11b/g
Ethernet: 10/100 Mb/s Ethernet Controller (via port replicator)
Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR compliant) AUDIO Audio card : Realtek ALC269
2 built-in stereo speakers
Built-in microphone PORTS USB 2.0 port (2 additional ports via port replicator)
DC-IN jack
3.5” audio output (1 additional output via port replicator)
Microphone input (via port replicator)
Ethernet port (via port replicator) MOUSE NAVIGATION Optical finger navigation system (trackpoint)
Left and right mouse buttons POWER SOURCE Internal: removable Lithium Polymer battery
External: Power adapter/charger BATTERY LIFE Approx. 5h MISCELLANEOUS Integrated 1.3MP webcam
Built-in leg stand (2 positions) DIMENSIONS 256 x 134 x 17 mm WEIGHT 800 grams PACKAGE INCLUDES ARCHOS 9, removable battery, stylus, AC adapter with power cord, user guide, legal and safety notice

Included Software

Type Nom Description Antivirus/Antispyware Microsoft Security Essentials5 Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. Office Productivity
Lotus Symphony
Easily create and edit all your documents, spreadsheets and presentations.
Web TV and radio player
vTuner Access to over 11.000 radio and TV stations broadcasting over the Internet.
Email manager & Chat
Windows Live™
Manage all your email accounts and chat instantly.
1 Optimized for videos in H264 HP 1080p
2 1GB= 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity is less.
3 Online storage space. Requires a free Windows Live account. More information on www.windowslive.com/skydrive
4 Requires compatible wireless access point(s)
5 Installation files to be downloaded

A9.gif
[SIZE=-1]8.9" touch screen [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Windows® 7 Starter Edition [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]WiFi and Bluetooth [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Extremely light and thin, .67" and 29 ounces [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]HD Video: Watch video in 1080p (H264HP 1080p) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Internet: Experience the full internet on a 8.9" screen [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Edit and create documents with the QWERTY virtual keyboard [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Forward facing 1.3MP web cam for video conferencing [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Battery Life: 5hr (WiFi Bluetooth off, mini backlight) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Package includes: power cord, power adapter, stylus, removable battery [/SIZE]

Archos 9
$549.99 US</B>

Specs for the ipad

The iPad is slightly smaller than a sheet of regular paper, just one-half inch thick, and weighs 1.5 pounds (1.6 with an optional 3G modem built-in). The 9.7-inch LED backlit glossy multi-touch screen has 1024x768 pixel resolution (132 pixels per inch).
Wireless connectivity is 802.11n Wi-Fi (backward compatible with 11abg devices), Bluetooth 2.1 + Ehanced Data Rate (EDR). 3G cellular is available for $130 more, supporting UMTS/HSDPA and GSM/EDGE networks, but available at least at first only on AT&T?s network.
Apple says the iPad?s battery can give up to 10 hours of use, and 30 days of standby power, though that is likely to vary greatly depending on what applications and connectivity are being run and for how long.
iPad runs a version of the iPhone operating system, itself a variant of the Mac OS X. That means that it can run unchanged every app on the iTunes App Store. Moreover, it runs them in one of two modes: just as you?d see it on the iPhone or expanded to be twice as large to exploit the iPad?s larger screen.
The biggest surprise probably is the price. There are three models, based on amount of solid state memory: iPad with 16Gbytes is just $499; 32Gbytes, $599; 64Gbytes, $699. 3G adds $130 to each, so the most expensive iPad is $829.
A simple docking stand props it up, and accepts a hardware keyboard. Also included: digital compass, assisted GPS, 1GHz CPU system-on-a-chip custom designed for Apple, the usual array of audio and video formats.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...3C400693880002576B90003564B.DTL#ixzz0duv7AR9L

Last edited:
Yeah, the competing products need to hit the press and enthusiast/review sites hard if they aren't going to beat the iPad to market. It's not difficult to make a better product, Apple has just made a tablet shaped device to push their services, not a tablet PC.

Last edited:
These things will be all over the place by the end of the year. Competition will make them better and better. It will be fun watching from the sideline until someone makes a tablet for my liking. Will it be done this year? Doubt it.

A few things that would keep me away from the Archos:
1) resistive touch screen
2) Included Antivirus is a feature? No thanks...
3) HDD? How about SSD?
4) 5 hours battery life with the radios off?

It looks interesting, though. It might be nice at work (assuming you can load XP Pro on it: No Win7 allowed.)

I believe most of those tablets are netbook PCs with the keyboard removed and screen
bolted together with the other half. Touch sensitive screen and some software.

That most likely means the parts are upgradeable/replaceable just like in any other netbook.
HDD probably to keep the costs down.

It might be different if it runs Android or Chrome OS (I don't think these work with HDDs).

Diogen.

I don't know if Apple is spot on with the iPad, but for those that want a small, touchpad computer that runs all those windows apps, you're going to be disappointed.

Touch works quite well for a very small amount of software specifically written to take advantage of touch. Otherwise it just sucks!

Apple's real leg up on this is the 140K apps and counting that are just that way. And then there will be the new ones coming to take advantage of the new things in the iPad. And if history tells us anything, it will all work great.

Apple's only leg up is the amount of content and the number of Apple fanatics. If this were from a no-name company it would be laughed out of the market. This is the equivalent of the Peek that was made for Twitter only. All the ipad is, is a larger ipod touch, and just a vehicle for the itunes store (and other stores they're launching just for this device like ibooks.

By the end of the year, the only thing the ipad will have going for it is the 3G data plans for the devices that are $649+, as far superior products will probably be on the market with both Android and Windows 7 flavors (W7 was built with multitouch in mind... as you can see form the beginning of this video - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9zvIFzWeR0&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Multitouch Demo - HP Touchsmart TX2 Tablet - Windows 7[/ame])

Apple's only leg up is the amount of content and the number of Apple fanatics. If this were from a no-name company it would be laughed out of the market. This is the equivalent of the Peek that was made for Twitter only. All the ipad is, is a larger ipod touch, and just a vehicle for the itunes store (and other stores they're launching just for this device like ibooks.

By the end of the year, the only thing the ipad will have going for it is the 3G data plans for the devices that are $649+, as far superior products will probably be on the market with both Android and Windows 7 flavors (W7 was built with multitouch in mind... as you can see form the beginning of this video - YouTube- Multitouch Demo - HP Touchsmart TX2 Tablet - Windows 7)

For number of apps available for it right now = 140,000 + and counting. As well as the content. And it is because it is not a no-name company, it sure did get some credibility. That's a hell of a leg up!

And I own an HP Touchsmart, I'm very aware of what can and can't be done effectively with touch. Hell, I sold the Compaq T1100 touch laptop years ago. And that years ago is a very big thing. Touch has been around for a heck of a long time and created a very moribund market because of the apps and a really too broad ranging developer community trying to make software for too many platforms. Yes, W7 and Android are there and maybe they'll come up with that one thing that kills iPods/Touches and iPad, but so far they haven't even come close.

You are certainly free to believe what you will, but at the end of the year, Apple iPad will be the dominator in this touch market.

Yep, love 'em or hate 'em, Apple has succeeded in a terrible market place where others are failing. And with premium priced products.

And in the case of the iPod/Touch/iPhone/iPad it isn't all and won't be, Apple fanbois buying them in droves, or at least they'll have to share the line with the general population.

The difference was the ipod touch and the iphone were genuine innovations. The ipad reminds me of my Verizon phones pre-iphone. Closed regimented environments, if you wanted an app you bought it from Verizon. If you wanted a photo you had to upload it to a service and pay to get it back. No camera on the ipad so I guess that last one is a non-issue.

I guess we'll see what jailbroken ipads can do. As-is it's a step back, as it tries to redefine a tablet PC as not a netbook or laptop replacement, it's it's own magical thing.

The difference between what Verizon and Apple do is that Apple has 140K+ apps. Chances are whatever you want, it is already there.

Friends of mine that are in the developer community are literally drooling about this thing. They see dollar signs all over the place.

I guess we'll see what jailbroken ipads can do.
We might not see any. Unless Jobs blesses it like he did with AppleTV, to see where the hacking community will take it.
That is why they bought the silicon maker and manufacture their own CPUs.
Well, everybody knows it is an ARM at core, but genetically modified...

I have no doubts iPad will be a moneymaker.
Most likely not as big as iPod/iPhone, but it wont be a second Newton.

I think for the first time in a long time this is not a traditional Apple invention, but a reaction to the netbook market.
Not so long ago Jobs went on record to claim that Apple can not do for $500 anything that wouldnt be garbage.

How times change!

There is one field where Apple doesnt have competition, art of marketing.
I think if they say tomorrow that they invented air, there will be people that will pay them for the right to breath.

In the meantime, their computer market share got stuck on 5% worldwide for decades and only last year they beat Windows Mobile in smartphone market.

Who would believe that based on the noise this company generates? Marketing genius...

Diogen.

In the meantime, their computer market share got stuck on 5% worldwide for decades and only last year they beat Windows Mobile in smartphone market.
After being in the smartphone market for, what? 2-1/2 years? The last data I saw showed that, while RIM was in no immediate danger of being passed, Apple certainly increased their share of the market. Of course, Nokia seems quite untouchable at #1.
Who would believe that based on the noise this company generates? Marketing genius...

Diogen.
I missed it, but I guess Steven Colbert had a nice iPad placement during the Grammys Sunday night.
[youtube]Jyo96P-SQiM[/youtube]​

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 160
Boy, I have to share this: I have spent most of yesterday fighting with a Samsung Q1Ultra 7" tablet PC running Windows XP Tablet Edition. I hope that Windows 7 for tablets makes better use of the touch interface or Apple's iPhone OS will continue to make strides in market share for mobile computing devices.

I gave up and plugged a keyboard and mouse into the Samsung to get any work done. Finger touches were too imprecise to be usable, so I had to break out the stylus. But, even then, the soft keyboard was slower than the Apple soft keyboard on the capacitive screen. Samsung included a QWERT YUIOP keyboard, but half the keys are to the left of the screen and half are to the right. Shifts weren't sticky, so you're trying to hold this little Shift key while pressing the other key you want. And I could never figure out how to get a "dash" out this split keyboard. That's why I plugged in the full-size USB keyboard and mouse.

The Samsung was not my idea, but was purchased by a manager who wants to use it for portable data collection. A Netbook might have been the smarter choice, but I wasn't asked. Now, our department has to support it. After I get all the Corporate Business software loaded, this thing will crawl with its 600 MHz Mobile Pentium and 1 GB of RAM. The Archos Pad that is the topic of this thread would have been a better choice if it can be expanded to hold more RAM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)