Are 722's obsolete?

How does a 211 with hard drive compare to a 622? Can you do scheduled reoccurring recordings like "all new episodes of Bones on Fox", can you go to dishanywhere.com and tell your 211 to record a movie from the website, and see your existing recordings listed on the website? If you can, then I know I have an option to stay cheap on equipment if my 622 goes someday when/if Dish in the future would not replace with another VIP and requires a new contract. All I have now is a 622 (feeding living room hdmi and bedroom on channel 60) and a 211k (feeding basement rec-room hdmi and mirrored to 2 other rooms over channel 60)
Biggest deal probably for me that would keep me from going that route is cant record 2 things at once with the 211, I would have to use both 211's and have recordings split between them. There's a couple times a week we have two weekly shows on at the same time that we record.

Would be interested though to hear what you guys see with the 211 with a hard drive, like is it "exactly" like a 622/722 after that, or some things still not the same, like streaming movies off internet, and scheduled recordings, and triggering recordings from the website like we can with the 622/722.

If I remember correctly it all works about the same other than you only have one tuner. You will not be able to record something and watch something live, one of the biggest downfalls of it, still a great setup for the money though.

It works exactly like a 622, 722, 722k when it comes to recordings and guide etc... You can't access dishanywhere and control the 211. It has 1 sat tuner and 1 OTA tuner, so you can record 1 sat and 1 OTA at the same time while also watching a previously recorded program. It's a pretty bullet proof and very economical way to have an HD Dvr

It works exactly like a 622, 722, 722k when it comes to recordings and guide etc... You can't access dishanywhere and control the 211. It has 1 sat tuner and 1 OTA tuner, so you can record 1 sat and 1 OTA at the same time while also watching a previously recorded program. It's a pretty bullet proof and very economical way to have an HD Dvr

Ooh. Good catch there, I forgot about the OTA. With the OTA you can record 2 shows are watch a live show while recording.

Is there any logical reason that Dish charges a $7 DVR fee for a 722 as opposed to $14 for a Hopper?
it's $12, not $14, but yeah, there is no real logical rhyme or reason besides the "whole-home" designation and the extra tuner available for DVRing. But then, that doesn't explain why the 922 has a $10 DVR fee.

Is there any logical reason that Dish charges a $7 DVR fee for a 722 as opposed to $14 for a Hopper?

The Hopper fee is $12, not $14. At least it is on my bill.

In any event, the Hopper does so much more. It is a true whole home solution, supports up to 3 Joeys, etc.

WHOOPS! Should have refreshed before posting - missed that Dare already covered this.

Well if you really think about it, it does make sense. Since you are not paying any higher fees for the Joeys, even though they have DVR functions, the whole-home fee does make sense. If you look at what it would cost if you tried to get 3 TVs in HD with DVR functions with the VIP equipment you'll see that.

Hopper with 2 Joeys is $12, $7 and $7 for a total of $26
Three 612 receivers would be $7, $10 and $10 for a total of $27

The 612's are more expensive and do not offer all the advantages the Hopper does. They do give you more tuners though.

return.jpg
The box came today to return one of my 622's in (downsizing my tuner count), according to this paper marked 8/31/12 that came inside (must be no changes since then), 622 and 722 are not labeled "obsolete" - that's official enough isn't it for the main question on this thread?

View attachment 95185
The box came today to return one of my 622's in (downsizing my tuner count), according to this paper marked 8/31/12 that came inside (must be no changes since then), 622 and 722 are not labeled "obsolete" - that's official enough isn't it for the main question on this thread?
The paper is obsolete, too.;)

They are encouraging a cluster is what they are doing by not allowing 222s to be used. If a tech calls in and says that this person needs a 222 vs two 211's then they should honor the request. Far too many times have I run into situations lately that you would now have to drop a 44 switch and triple lines from a 1k2 dish already having the switch that we all know can cause issues down the road but noooo they don't listen. I had a 722 and three 211's to install one day and had to set this type of job up. The guy had so many electrical issues at the house that the 44 switch would not function properly but I was however able to put in a 222k in place of two 211's just fine and run triple lines to the dish with everything working. I did this after someone at loyalty told the guy that I could do it to save his account cause he knew exactly what I was saying and agreed so he made the call. I put the boxes in and Dish would not activate them no matter what I said and even with the guy standing there to cancel they wouldn't budge. So the guy cancelled and I didn't get paid at all for any work I did on that job and even had to take everything back out wasting nearly 5 hours.

A tech is a tech for a reason - they know the jobs way better than any CSR sitting behind a desk and these restrictions are just stupid. Not everyone needs or wants HD no matter what the TV is.

From an install standpoint I wouldn't mind to install a receiver on every tv. What does bother me is the multiple lines & external switches/nodes needed to make these scenarios work.

There isn't no reason they couldn't have 1 line coming from the dish to a splitter to accommodate 8 tuners.....oh yeah Directv does this, so no way dish would ever do something like them.

View attachment 95185

I think that paper more accurately describes which receivers are still viable for use with the service. They will take back any of those listed receivers, because it can be refurbished and sent out to someone else who needs a replacement. They don't want any older ones though, since they will have to pay to dispose of it. Anyone who still has an old 301 for some reason will be sent at least a 311 if they need a replacement, so they can convert to 8PSK.

Not obsolete. But the burial site has been chosen and somebody's looking for the keys to the backhoe.

any 2nd receiver on an account will have a mirroring fee $7 for 211(k,z), $10 for 612, $17 for 622,722,722K. There is no receiver fee if you only have 1 receiver on the account

Ok that makes sense then. I was gonna get a free 722 from someone who just got a hopper but, Ill pass if its gonna cost that much more a month going from a 211 to a 722. Go Pokes!

Ok that makes sense then. I was gonna get a free 722 from someone who just got a hopper but, Ill pass if its gonna cost that much more a month going from a 211 to a 722. Go Pokes!

If the 722 is the only receiver on your account, then it would just be $7 more for the dvr fee. If you have a 722 and 211 then it's $7 for the 722 dvr fee and $7 for the mirroring fee on the 211. The 1st receiver on the account is free other than dvr fee's and the most expensive receiver is considered the 1st receiver. Now if you already have a 722 and add a second 722 then it is $17 for that second 722.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts