Are any of these "free" or 99 dollar hopper upgrades being offered by local retailers?

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
I've seen more than a couple of posts where the folks got a hopper and two joeys for free with protection plan or automatic pay or something and a lot of posts for free hopper/2joey upgrades plus 99 dollar installs (all with 2 year commitments, of course)

I'm wondering if Dish allows it's retailers these discounts so they can match the offers you can get by telephone to the mothership in Colorado.

I have the AT250 package so I would think if everything else is OK I should be able to get the same offer locally as from Dish, right?

There's a thread devoted to this.....
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/279732-how-much-hopper-upgrade-costing-you.html

I certainly can't read every post on what people had to pay but I just don't remember free. $99 I believe was the starting point for upgrades. Can you point us to posts where it was a free upgrade?
521 posts:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/279732-how-much-hopper-upgrade-costing-you.html

Edit:

Spent 20 minutes and found these post numbers that claim totally free: 522, 500, 485, 467, 450

Hint: start at the end. I started at #1 and got 200 posts in without seeing a free one.

Last edited:
You can't always believe everything you read. Some may gave been new customers, gloating.

Others were told no "upfront cost" and assumed that meant free...until they got their bill.
there were a number of recent comments. The loyalty department should be pretty well trained on the system by now as to what they can offer.

There's no harm in trying. Plus you can see if the CSR will make a special note on the account. Nothing stopping you from calling back and confirming the previous call and making sure the order is setup the right way.

If you can do it in writing with online chat, then it's even better. Just save the transcript before you exit.

You can't always believe everything you read. Some may gave been new customers, gloating.
Well, I may or may not be offered a totally free deal from a local retailer but when I chatted online just to gather info about hopper and RV VIP accounts the CSR tried to close me on ordering right then and in the plainest English offered 1 hopper and 3 Joeys at no cost. And volunteered further that she would wave the $100 install since I have already had the protection plan for so many years.

It shouldn't be that hard to believe that if you give them enough money for enough years and don't cost them 10 cents in service or "customer retention" discounts that they might offer a deal that matches what they give a garden variety new customer off the street and add a 100 dollar install sweetener.

I'd go to the messages I sited and cut and paste their statements about how many years they had been a Dish customer but I'll leave that to you if you want to see what may or may not be the current upgrade situation.

Taking into consideration literally a handful of posts saying they got it for free, and the fact that some were told no upfront cost and took that to mean free, and some of the other factors mentioned, with the hundreds of posts overall, I would say it isn't likely anyone on any regular basis is getting it for free. There can be an exception to everything, and it never hurts to ask, but to the original question how are they getting it for free, I am betting on they generally are not.

The good news is that it looks like there's a few people in this thread interested in giving it a shot. While I don't expect everyone to get it discounted further, I bet we can get at least a couple.

Taking into consideration literally a handful of posts saying they got it for free, and the fact that some were told no upfront cost and took that to mean free, and some of the other factors mentioned, with the hundreds of posts overall, I would say it isn't likely anyone on any regular basis is getting it for free. There can be an exception to everything, and it never hurts to ask, but to the original question how are they getting it for free, I am betting on they generally are not.
But going back to my original post, can retailers give the same discounts as Dish does?

I really don't care what the price is, I just need to be an informed shopper before approaching the local folk. And I want to know whether something I was offered from Dish ***CAN*** or ***MIGHT*** be offered by local retailers by nature of their relationship with Dish?

If you believe the posters here are full of sh** and nobody gets by for less than $100, fine. Do you know whether local retailers are offering the same $100 upgrades?

It's OK if you don't know. But some forum members must have talked to local retailers and can report the price they were offered.

By the way, I am certain I was upgraded from my 522 to a 722K for NOTHING AT ALL including changing from the Dish500 to Dish1000 (of course with a two year agreement, autopay and the protection plan).

The old brain is definitely turning into pudding but I'm certain that that did happen to me a few years back.

By the way, I am certain I was upgraded from my 522 to a 722K for NOTHING AT ALL including changing from the Dish500 to Dish1000 (of course with a two year agreement, autopay and the protection plan).

The old brain is definitely turning into pudding but I'm certain that that did happen to me a few years back.

Yes, I was upgraded for free to HD with two new 612 receivers, but that is not what is happening with the Hopper. Many would qualify for an upgrade to a VIP receiver or from SD to HD etc.. but not for the Hopper or not for a free Hopper.
I can't answer about the retailer because I won't do business with anyone but Dish directly and that included any bundling with other companies as well as a retailer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)