Are CBS / NBC /ABC important anymore? / Lacking coverage of Impeachment Hearings makes me wonder

Do ratings matter when they show these hearings non stop with no commercials? Are they making money off of the coverage?

Personally, I am glad that the locals are covering it less. There are SO MANY places to get it. If you do not have pay TV, you can watch CBS News Network online or the app, or listen on NPR or other news radio stations. You can find it. Local news is better than the same national news that everyone else is showing!

That being said, I have seen it on several locals, but not all of it like others have said: ABC, CBS, NBC, Telemundo, even the Boston Shop LC channel!

Do ratings matter when they show these hearings non stop with no commercials? Are they making money off of the coverage?
On OTA channels?....Why would they show something that had no merit....They arnt bound by much anymore!

LOL - I thought you were referring to his impeachment. You're going all the way back to the Kennedy/Nixon debate. Kennedy looked better on TV and knew how to use it for sure. That and his assassination changed TV news forever.
What's interesting about the Kennedy/Nixon debate is that people who watched the debate on TV say that Kennedy won, but those who listened to the radio say that Nixon won.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the Big 3 are broadcast channels and get free use of the public airwaves and can profit massively from them.

For this FREE use they are supposed to give back things that are a public service or to give value for the betterment of the country.

And despite the fact that there are other options to watch the Impeachment hearings for those who have access and can afford satellite, cable or internet.

They are still bound by the FCC or Federal Laws giving them the use of the airwaves and they SHOULD have as a public service put them all on the Big 3 live, uninterupted and every single
person congress was questioning.

Specifically for those who only have this option to view for free with an antenna.

As well as their agreement with the Federal Government for the American public.

Their coverage was cherry picked nationwide.

Some cities might have gotten everything but others nothings or bits.

Today my Big 3 all covered live but not PBS oddly enough.
They showed cartoons when I was flipping.
While PBS did show live other days when the Big 3 were mixed, some did some didn't.

I think these old dogs are just that OLD.
They are getting rich off the publics airwaves and then using crap judgement on what is deemed important enough to them to
go live. This should not be allowed to happen.

But that said I think the era of the Big 3 is nearing an end.

I personally rarely watch much on any of them.
With all the f'ing tv commercials it's nearly as bad as listeing to FM radio anywhere in the USA.
Thank god for satellite radio and streaming radio.

I've thought for some years that all broadcast TV should be moved to datacasting / streaming for the Free public viewing.

Take back all the broadcast frequencies and use them for the internet.
Then have a box for everyone to get these channels now on broadcast and possibly add all the major news channels like CNN to the mix for free for the public.
Via this streaming method.
And they also would have wireless internet for free.

It's going to happen eventually.

The Big 3 will eventually become just another cable channel.
Or just go direct with streaming.

But the days are numbered for the broadcast channels because young people do not care at all about them.
On a side note you can say MLB Baseball is in that same situation. Greedy corporations TV or sports that are OLD and filthy rich have
become like dinosaurs to the younger people. They care about their smart phones and quick tech. A 3hour, 4 hour, 5 hour, 6 hour baseball game is a joke.
And the same with the Big 3.

Disney could care less of course.
ABC is just one of many things they are into.

CBS with it's own streaming service is not exciting to most.
I'd like to see the new Star Trek but not going to join just for that and old archives of tv shows.

And comcast is only interested in the internet so it seems and making big big profits.
I'm surprised they are still involved in TV or NBC.
They certainly haven't done anything better wit the Olympics.
Except give us the 4K feed. ABC years ago did a much better job.
Wish another big player would get the Olympics.

As for the English Premiere League on NBC it's now a joke and the picture is crap.
And comcast wants to sell you internet streaming packages. $$$$$ = comcast
Instead of putting the games on their tv channels. And they even screwed the streams up compared to
what Canada is offering their customers for the same package of England soccer.

But these Impeachment hearings and their lack of 100% serious coverage using the American publics airwaves,
seems like the end of the road for the Big 3 is here now.

I'm amazed the local affiliates even still exist.
My local news is nothing but garbage local stories of ambulance chasings, sex stories of some type that has a sleeze element, loads of other sketchy news by and
endless everchanging group of reporters. Completely not worth watching. And still they are raking in the bucks locally with tons of TV commercials.
Again using the publics airwaves for FREE in doing it.

I guess I expected more with the historic Impeachment hearings.
That the Big 3 would make all the time needed for the public to see them on these three historic TV channels.
But they didn't, at least not 100% everywhere and everyday.

Ratings should NEVER matter when you have things of major importance to our country.
They "used" to know that. These days their blind greed has completely taken over.

On a side note in TV Technology magazine in a recent issue (a broadcast industry mag) was going on about 4K and the new massive overhaul of every
US TV station needing to do this. Spending lots of $$$$$$$$ They are massively dragging their feet and not wanting to invest. At the same time they are bitching about
Cable and Satellite not wanting to be forced to carry the 4k versions of the Big 3.

So all that is going on in the industry and they cherry pick giving the public partial Impeachment hearings coverage.

Sounds like they are blind to about everything.
Their obligations to the public now and in the future.

bjf

Reactions: jamesjimcie
The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the Big 3 are broadcast channels and get free use of the public airwaves and can profit massively from them.

For this FREE use they are supposed to give back things that are a public service or to give value for the betterment of the country.

And despite the fact that there are other options to watch the Impeachment hearings for those who have access and can afford satellite, cable or internet.

They are still bound by the FCC or Federal Laws giving them the use of the airwaves and they SHOULD have as a public service put them all on the Big 3 live, uninterupted and every single
person congress was questioning.

Specifically for those who only have this option to view for free with an antenna.

As well as their agreement with the Federal Government for the American public.

Their coverage was cherry picked nationwide.

Some cities might have gotten everything but others nothings or bits.

Today my Big 3 all covered live but not PBS oddly enough.
They showed cartoons when I was flipping.
While PBS did show live other days when the Big 3 were mixed, some did some didn't.

I think these old dogs are just that OLD.
They are getting rich off the publics airwaves and then using crap judgement on what is deemed important enough to them to
go live. This should not be allowed to happen.

But that said I think the era of the Big 3 is nearing an end.

I personally rarely watch much on any of them.
With all the f'ing tv commercials it's nearly as bad as listeing to FM radio anywhere in the USA.
Thank god for satellite radio and streaming radio.

I've thought for some years that all broadcast TV should be moved to datacasting / streaming for the Free public viewing.

Take back all the broadcast frequencies and use them for the internet.
Then have a box for everyone to get these channels now on broadcast and possibly add all the major news channels like CNN to the mix for free for the public.
Via this streaming method.
And they also would have wireless internet for free.

It's going to happen eventually.

The Big 3 will eventually become just another cable channel.
Or just go direct with streaming.

But the days are numbered for the broadcast channels because young people do not care at all about them.
On a side note you can say MLB Baseball is in that same situation. Greedy corporations TV or sports that are OLD and filthy rich have
become like dinosaurs to the younger people. They care about their smart phones and quick tech. A 3hour, 4 hour, 5 hour, 6 hour baseball game is a joke.
And the same with the Big 3.

Disney could care less of course.
ABC is just one of many things they are into.

CBS with it's own streaming service is not exciting to most.
I'd like to see the new Star Trek but not going to join just for that and old archives of tv shows.

And comcast is only interested in the internet so it seems and making big big profits.
I'm surprised they are still involved in TV or NBC.
They certainly haven't done anything better wit the Olympics.
Except give us the 4K feed. ABC years ago did a much better job.
Wish another big player would get the Olympics.

As for the English Premiere League on NBC it's now a joke and the picture is crap.
And comcast wants to sell you internet streaming packages. $$$$$ = comcast
Instead of putting the games on their tv channels. And they even screwed the streams up compared to
what Canada is offering their customers for the same package of England soccer.

But these Impeachment hearings and their lack of 100% serious coverage using the American publics airwaves,
seems like the end of the road for the Big 3 is here now.

I'm amazed the local affiliates even still exist.
My local news is nothing but garbage local stories of ambulance chasings, sex stories of some type that has a sleeze element, loads of other sketchy news by and
endless everchanging group of reporters. Completely not worth watching. And still they are raking in the bucks locally with tons of TV commercials.
Again using the publics airwaves for FREE in doing it.

I guess I expected more with the historic Impeachment hearings.
That the Big 3 would make all the time needed for the public to see them on these three historic TV channels.
But they didn't, at least not 100% everywhere and everyday.

Ratings should NEVER matter when you have things of major importance to our country.
They "used" to know that. These days their blind greed has completely taken over.

On a side note in TV Technology magazine in a recent issue (a broadcast industry mag) was going on about 4K and the new massive overhaul of every
US TV station needing to do this. Spending lots of $$$$$$$$ They are massively dragging their feet and not wanting to invest. At the same time they are bitching about
Cable and Satellite not wanting to be forced to carry the 4k versions of the Big 3.

So all that is going on in the industry and they cherry pick giving the public partial Impeachment hearings coverage.

Sounds like they are blind to about everything.
Their obligations to the public now and in the future.

bjf
How do you move all to streaming (for in your mind, everyone can see it) while at the same time say it will then be free ?

INTERNET Cost Big money for most people and its only going to keep getting more expensive.

I really do understand your frustration over this not being on National Networks, however the majority of people do Not what thier daily lives being forced to watch this .... in this world as you mentioned, everything is instant gratification, they want to know what Happened, not all the details.
IF they do want all the details they would go to any of the multiple channels showing this.

This is not 1970 anymore.

I suggest you find a resolution to the question by contacting the Major Networks and asking Them why they are not covering all of this 24/7.

You know, the local channels could simply put the hearings on a subchannel for OTA-only viewers. It doesn't matter if all pay providers don't carry the subchannel - the OTA viewers will have it and the local channel can show their syndicated programming and local news. Put it on Bounce or something that shows the same thing over and over again so you're not missing anything on the subchannel. Treat it like the "public service" they claim they have to be when they carry severe weather coverage. Everybody wins. The hearings are probably over now anyway so it's a moot point... but for other events like this.

Sub-channels would have been at least a way to get them on 100%.

Still it seems to me they should have without any armtwisting taken the lead and put them on 100%
on the Big 3.

If they were not getting Free use of our airwaves and making millions / billions of dollars I would care less about the Big 3.
But they are profiting massively and are supposed to give back in ways good for the public. That is the agreement.
In my book they have failed.

Whether you watch or not they should have done. Bumped everything.
In years past they would have.

I would imagine we'll have more hearings.

The whole cherry picking thing by the networks can also create the appearance of playing politics or blocking things they
don't want their viewers to see. Either all or nothing is what they should have done. And nothing would not be good for the Big 3 to try.

The fact there isn't more public outcry also shows how much the importance of the Big 3 are in 2019.
Fewer are watching the channels each year.

But for those that are and is their only way to see the hearings they should show respect for Democracy and their viewers.
As well as uphold the agreement with the government to give back in trade for FREE use of the airwaves.

A decade at best and they will be gone or nobody will care anymore for the Big 3 in my view.
Their ride will be over. Let alone still get FREE airwaves to use and broadcast on.
Definately makes you wonder if the Big 3 and all their affiliates will bother at all with 4k that will make them spend millions.

On a side note a year or two back when the broadcasters were scared they would lose the airwaves they immediately went
into full propaganda mode. To tell the American public dont' let the government turn off my channels, etc.
I remember seeing these pathetic TV ads by their own industry.
They are a bunch of rats in my book these days including all the worthless local affiliates.

My local affiliates go through young female reporters so fast it makes you wonder what the F is going on these days.
Every time I turn around it's another young bubblehead that has a baby talk voice and sounds like last week she was in high
school leading the cheerleading squad. Also, you laugh when they use that fake TV broadcaster voice pattern on any of these idiot reporters and anchors.
Always brings back to memory the great Laugh-In show radio guy Gary Owens with his hand over his ear and that big fake voice pattern.
You just shake your heard how bad it's gotten with TV news and local affiliates and their ambulance chasing / tabloid style news reporting.
And for some reason 95% or even more seem to be young women. Rare to find a guy anymore.
But that's a whole other thread. lol

bjf

Last edited:
I don't think the airwaves are exactly free for the broadcasters. They pay a hefty fee to the government to broadcast, and don't air commercials during the hearings, and therefore aren't making money during that time, regardless of how many or how few are watching. That is why I said subchannels would be the most compromise that I could see.

Add in their profits in the equation.
It's FREE to the broadcasters.

I only wish all of us could cash in on this like the broadcasters have for decades.

I personally can't wait for the Big 3 to be a historic footnote.
And it will happen soon as young people do not care at all for these old channels.

I would feel totally differnt if they were the leaders they used to be.
There used to be complete seperation of News and entertainment.
News ran at a loss and that was just fine. They were after respect and integrity.

They each had their own news bureau's and their own reporters.
No sharing with rivals.

But now it's all a big pool(e)? to save a buck.
They've lowed the bar on the reporters.
Entertainment calls the shots completely.

It's all changed.

So there isn't any reason to hope they return to greatness.
Just a bunch of hacks with little or no talent with few exceptions.
Raking in the bucks with our public airwaves that could be used for FREE high speed internet.
Coast to Coast.

Regarding the sub-channels.
I no longer have an antenna and so haven't used them in some time.
But i recall the sub-channels were not as strong a signal as the main channel and
were more hit and miss tuning. I just recall it being a pain to get them and then
periodically they changed frequencies and you'd have to re-tune them.
A nuisance more than anything. And always confusing for older folks to set up and re-set up.
I think it was last year the govt. took back some frequencies and everyone had to tune them in again.
Also, the sub-channels are usually not HD, while not important for the hearings would be much preferred.

bjf

Add in their profits in the equation.
It's FREE to the broadcasters.

I only wish all of us could cash in on this like the broadcasters have for decades.

I personally can't wait for the Big 3 to be a historic footnote.
And it will happen soon as young people do not care at all for these old channels.

I would feel totally differnt if they were the leaders they used to be.
There used to be complete seperation of News and entertainment.
News ran at a loss and that was just fine. They were after respect and integrity.

They each had their own news bureau's and their own reporters.
No sharing with rivals.

But now it's all a big pool(e)? to save a buck.
They've lowed the bar on the reporters.
Entertainment calls the shots completely.

It's all changed.

So there isn't any reason to hope they return to greatness.
Just a bunch of hacks with little or no talent with few exceptions.
Raking in the bucks with our public airwaves that could be used for FREE high speed internet.
Coast to Coast.

Regarding the sub-channels.
I no longer have an antenna and so haven't used them in some time.
But i recall the sub-channels were not as strong a signal as the main channel and
were more hit and miss tuning. I just recall it being a pain to get them and then
periodically they changed frequencies and you'd have to re-tune them.
A nuisance more than anything. And always confusing for older folks to set up and re-set up.
I think it was last year the govt. took back some frequencies and everyone had to tune them in again.
Also, the sub-channels are usually not HD, while not important for the hearings would be much preferred.

bjf

What are you talking about. In almost every case, the subchannels and the main channel broadcast from the exact same RF signal and have the same power. The re-pack causing people to re-scan is annoying, yes, but it's not the end of the world. Is there anything you don't complain about? My goodness!

Reactions: al

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)