Are CBS / NBC /ABC important anymore? / Lacking coverage of Impeachment Hearings makes me wonder

bjf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
I was really surprised in flipping channels for the Impeachment Hearings that CBS / NBC / ABC did not have full coverage of the live Impeachment Hearings.

Not that you couldn't find it elsewhere. But for those Americans with nothing but broadcast TV and an antenna this might have been their only coverage.

In years past these three networks provided live coverage and they put themselves on pedastals for their serious journalistic coverage.

But this week they have not done full coverage. Either No coverage or cherry picking what they give us.

So is this the final sign that the Big 3 broadcast networks have finally just decided they are no longer leaders in any way shape or form for serious news stories.

All the decades from their radio days through cable and satellite era's they still showed their clout and leadership. But now I have to wonder is there any reason for the Big 3 networks to be needed.

If they can't be bothered to bump all programming for something as serious as Presidential Impeachment hearings, just so they can make more money with other tv shows.

I think the writing is on the wall for all three.

And like most I get my news from many sources.

But this seems like a major screwup by the networks to do this and still say they have any journalistic integrity.

Again I know they have offshoots on cable and satellite but there are many who still only get news from broadcast.

Thankfully PBS did (I believe) cover all events live.

bjf

I commend them for NOT tying up 4 Major Networks for this when they have about 40 other channels dedicated for doing such a thing.

If someone wants to listen to all of it, they will find it.

Just wondering, is Facebook covering it 24/7.
Most (not me) get all thier "News" from FB or other Internet places.

So forgetting who supports what politically. What I was thinking about is the Big 3.
They for decades would give live coverage of major events. Including Watergate.
They were the most important way for Americans to see important live political and major events.

So the selective cherry picking / or No live coverage of the Impeachment Hearings seems like a watershed moment in
the Big 3 finally giving up the fight for both their power as major networks AND their journalistic leadership.

For all these decades from their invention / debut's they were the main choices.

I know for some years the market is now flooded and more flooded the past 5 -10 years with internet based.

But forgetting your own political ideology. This seems like a watershed moment that ABC / CBS / NBC have collectively dropped the ball or ignored
their past leadership role in bringing major news LIVE to the American public.

I know their ratings are not like 40 years ago.

But still they have seemed the leader still for news.

That's why I'm surprised by their lack of Live and Uninterupted and NO coverage at times this weeks hearings.

Maybe we have finally seen their sunset.

And will broadcast be far behind all together.

Finally those without $$$$$$$ still probably appreciate having tv channels and coverage.
So for those this week PBS (I believe) was the only one who delivered all the coverage.

bjf

IF the networks continue to think that they are head and shoulders above all the other channels out there, as they seem to think when it comes to negotiating rights, they very well may be headed in the wrong direction.

Every month we have a group of Network channels asking for MORE MONEY for the right to show thier FREE content.

I had no interest in following that circus, but every time I turned on the tv in the afternoon, at least one of the locals had it on. It may have been up to the affiliates on whether to cover it full time or break away for their own programming. I saw the local cbs had a scroll running during the noon news to switch to the cw sister network for the hearings, until the noon news was over then it would move back to cbs.

Reactions: SamCdbs
My locals have been mixed.
At times all the Big 3 have not had any coverage of the Impeachment hearings.

Then one or two might carry it live.

The the big names they all carry it live.

I think it was Tuesday evening not one of the Big 3 carried anything in the Live later sessions.

So they are cherry picking a major historic event.
Not what I would call acceptable by their own standards for decades.

And during Watergate, all of the Big 3 and I think even PBS were live all day long for hours and hours.

Just seems like they are no longer the "leaders" in Live news coverage.

ABC / CBS / NBC and their affiliates would rather make a buck showing judge judy, ellen or some other crap programming.

I think this is the final sailing of this ship with regards to the Big 3 having any role as a "journalistic industry leader" for this country.

Basically were now talking Comcast, Disney and CBS.
The first two are solely out to make a quick buck.
And the once Tiffany network is pretty much the crap on your shoe network after the les moonves scandals and keeping him in charge for years.

I truly miss Walter Cronkite, David Brinkley and the others quality reporters / anchors of that era.
And the networks putting news first and keeping it fully seperate from the commercial / money side of the Big 3.

bjf

My locals have been mixed.
At times all the Big 3 have not had any coverage of the Impeachment hearings.

Then one or two might carry it live.

The the big names they all carry it live.

I think it was Tuesday evening not one of the Big 3 carried anything in the Live later sessions.

So they are cherry picking a major historic event.
Not what I would call acceptable by their own standards for decades.

And during Watergate, all of the Big 3 and I think even PBS were live all day long for hours and hours.

Just seems like they are no longer the "leaders" in Live news coverage.

ABC / CBS / NBC and their affiliates would rather make a buck showing judge judy, ellen or some other crap programming.

I think this is the final sailing of this ship with regards to the Big 3 having any role as a "journalistic industry leader" for this country.

Basically were now talking Comcast, Disney and CBS.
The first two are solely out to make a quick buck.
And the once Tiffany network is pretty much the crap on your shoe network after the les moonves scandals and keeping him in charge for years.

I truly miss Walter Cronkite, David Brinkley and the others quality reporters / anchors of that era.
And the networks putting news first and keeping it fully seperate from the commercial / money side of the Big 3.

bjf
Back in the Day ... your talking about, yes, it was covered, however we had only a few channels available at that time, they didn't have channels dedicated to that type of thing like they do now.

So it sounds like you would rather have these proceedings shown 24/7 on the Big 3, tying up everything Local for however long it last .... :thumbdown :( :oldfrown :no

Lets keep the discussion on the relevance of the channels not covering a big event, and not wade into the political side of it. If you want to do that, go to the pit.

Thanks.

I've been streaming the coverage from CBSNews and watching the network feeds FTA. It is surprising that the whole process isn't on one of the three though. But as mentioned earlier, ratings drive what we watch not the content itself. :(

Well just look over the past few elections, not even debates were on the big 3....Its like a channel pays for all the rights to it.....Just another switch on the norm....Remember Nixon sweating?...That was a major change and from time to time ,things change.

Well just look over the past few elections, not even debates were on the big 3....Its like a channel pays for all the rights to it.....Just another switch on the norm....Remember Nixon sweating?...That was a major change and from time to time ,things change.

When Nixon was sweating there was no social media, no streaming, and only a few national channels. When they showed those hearings those few channels had a monopoly, so we were forced to watch it if our TV's were on.

All three of my locals have this coverage on all day. 2 days ago there must’ve been a recess as my soap opera recorded. Don’t laugh. The DVR comes on when it’s time, but records the hearings.

When Nixon was sweating there was no social media, no streaming, and only a few national channels. When they showed those hearings those few channels had a monopoly, so we were forced to watch it if our TV's were on.
My point is that was a defining moment in TV....Nixon didnt want makeup, from that point forward things changed....Same with debates, and now your seeing it with the take over of cable channels...In time things change maybe for a reason, maybe not.....Bottom line is if they think they can get viewership of make money they will show anything.....Thats all....Call it all good things must come to an end.

My point is that was a defining moment in TV....Nixon didnt want makeup, from that point forward things changed....Same with debates, and now your seeing it with the take over of cable channels...In time things change maybe for a reason, maybe not.....Bottom line is if they think they can get viewership of make money they will show anything.....Thats all....Call it all good things must come to an end.
LOL - I thought you were referring to his impeachment. You're going all the way back to the Kennedy/Nixon debate. Kennedy looked better on TV and knew how to use it for sure. That and his assassination changed TV news forever.

Reactions: JSheridan and AZ.
I was really surprised in flipping channels for the Impeachment Hearings that CBS / NBC / ABC did not have full coverage of the live Impeachment Hearings.

Not that you couldn't find it elsewhere. But for those Americans with nothing but broadcast TV and an antenna this might have been their only coverage.

In years past these three networks provided live coverage and they put themselves on pedastals for their serious journalistic coverage.

But this week they have not done full coverage. Either No coverage or cherry picking what they give us.

So is this the final sign that the Big 3 broadcast networks have finally just decided they are no longer leaders in any way shape or form for serious news stories.

All the decades from their radio days through cable and satellite era's they still showed their clout and leadership. But now I have to wonder is there any reason for the Big 3 networks to be needed.

If they can't be bothered to bump all programming for something as serious as Presidential Impeachment hearings, just so they can make more money with other tv shows.

I think the writing is on the wall for all three.

And like most I get my news from many sources.

But this seems like a major screwup by the networks to do this and still say they have any journalistic integrity.

Again I know they have offshoots on cable and satellite but there are many who still only get news from broadcast.

Thankfully PBS did (I believe) cover all events live.

bjf

Again, keep political opinions out of the thread or it will be closed.

anyone wishing to discuss politics is welcome to become a pub member and access the pit.
Thanks.

They have less incentive to carry them on broadcast, because there are so many other places to watch them. That's probably why they are leaving it up to their affiliates to decide, and they are likely deciding based on whether they make more money showing their regular programming (with around 20 minutes of ads per hour) or the impeachment hearings which have far fewer commercial breaks.

This isn't 1974 when most people had only 4 channels, and cable news didn't exist. And look at what they were pre-empting - game shows, soap operas, and cartoons/reruns after school. Other than the latter it was all network owned programming, it isn't like today where most stuff on your locals during the day is syndicated programming where all the profits go straight into the pockets of the owner of the local.

Reactions: Jimbo
No politics. The era where very much happens that requires OTA networks to cover it has changed since 1973. There are 250 channels and a gazillion websites. Among scheduled political events, nothing more than the SOTU, the inauguration and election night have any business on OTA TV.

If that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts