Are Dish's Voomer's happy?

piperut

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Are the people who have signed up with dish to receive the Voom channels happy?

Dish did not pick up all of the Voom channels, just some of them.
So far, I have only turned the Dish Network 180 package back on on a Dish 500 receiver and I am receiving my local channels on an OTA antenna.

I would have to invest in the Dish HD receiver to get the HD package with Voom. I do not like having to invest in a new receiver.

Then it would be $5 a month for the HD Dish package, and another $5 a month for the Voom package. This part is okay.

The technology changes so rapidly. I am wondering if the Voomers that have subscribed to Dish Network's Voom package are happy with it.

Do I wait a little while and see what happens with Voom and Charles Dolan?

The only thing I would like is the Hockey games in the fall in HD. Now that raises another issue - if the NHL can settle their labor dispute by the hockey season. If they don't settle, having a sports network in HD is sort of mute anyway.

So I have time to wait and see what happens.
We completed our year commitement to dish about 4 years ago, so we can ask them to turn it off anytime we want. We had been on a yearly pay plan, but we asked them to put us on a monthly pay plan.

So, I am wondering if people are happy with the Dish/Voom thing, or do I wait things out?

roland

I only had VOOM for 2 months and now have had Dish with VOOM HD and 942 receiver for almost 3 weeks.

The PQ is fine with Dish, but not that happy with the VOOM 10 they picked and don't watch them that much--not as much as when I had VOOM.

OF course, the 942 HD DVR is fun for recording HD. THe Cust Service for Dish definitely not as good, but Club DIsh is a great help to lower monthly bills.

I don't like the SD package tiers for Dish--VOOM was much better.

I agree! VOOM10 is nice, but I sure miss Cinema10: Family Room, World Cinema, Film Fest, Gunslingers, KungFU, Ha Ha, Vice, and WorldSport)...plus Universal HD, WealthTV, CinemaxHD, TMC HD, and Encore HD (too bad it's gone!). On a positive note, the 942 is an outstanding addition and I now have more to watch that I have time to watch...just need 100 terabytes more of hard drive space.

I was extremely happy with VOOM DBS service...and I am surprisingly happy with my E* service so far :)

bookwalk said:
I only had VOOM for 2 months and now have had Dish with VOOM HD and 942 receiver for almost 3 weeks.

The PQ is fine with Dish, but not that happy with the VOOM 10 they picked and don't watch them that much--not as much as when I had VOOM.

OF course, the 942 HD DVR is fun for recording HD. THe Cust Service for Dish definitely not as good, but Club DIsh is a great help to lower monthly bills.

I don't like the SD package tiers for Dish--VOOM was much better.

The 180 package is fairly good, at least for my taste. It has the channels I watch. BBC, Halmark, Fox Movie, and a couple of other older movie channels.
I could do with out all the shopping channels. It also has the news networks.
The history channels, and a few other channels.

The lower tier packages... didn't have all the channels I wanted. I don't really care for HGO, Showtime, Cimemax,... if I could get Starz for cheap I might do it, but ... I don't really need a movie channel.

I have the locals in Digital and HDTV (some are broadcast in SD and some in HD on digital TV) from an OTA antenna. It took some doing to get this tuned in, but it is working now.

If the NHL ever settles their labor dispute, I would like ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Rocky MTN and Altitude Sports out of Denver in HD. Those are about the only channels I would care about. The Voom Exclusive channels Family, Equator, and Majestic were kind of nice... we watch those when they had a good movie.

I just don't like having to spend the $400 to buy a Dish STB for the HD channels.

The $5 for the Dish HD package and the $5 for the Voom channels is okay... it is just the $400 or so for the box that is getting me.

I wish they could do a software upgrade to the Voom STB and convert it to a Dish STB.

roland

Not bad unless you need to pay for the dish.

I was in a DMA area that qualified for free second dish to get my extra locals. So I did that then said oh, btw can you turn on Voom now that you installed the 61.5 dish. So it is only costing me $5 a month for the Voom channels. Well after abouot 3 weeks now the novelty is wearing off. Loving old horror and sci-fi i find Monsters to be pretty good. The others are not bad, but many many repeated shows. If I had to pay the $100 fo rthe second dish I woudl be upset. But for the $5 a month they are not bad. I am looking forward to MPEG4 and the rest of Voom and HD content next year.

I had Voom for 4 months and thought it was really awesome. The exclusive HD channels were great BUT getting HBO, SHO, STARZ, TMC, MAX (and for awhile Encore) all in HIGH DEFINITION was really sweet. The Voom box has some issues but at least it allowed for native passthrough on all ports.

Signed up for Dish as soon as the new sub deal was set and frankly......it is no where as good as Voom was. PQ is better ON SOME channels but overall it is not any better than Voom. I ordered a 942 and it is cool but it doesn't offset what Dish lacks that Voom had. The 811 is no better than D* equipment I had 5 years ago.

I had Voom, so the Voom dish is still pointed at 61.5. That dish should work with a different LNB. I would just have to swap out the LNB, and put in the new Dish STB.

I only have the Dish 500 STB now. I would have to upgrade to a new STB for the HD channels. I just don't like the cost of the Dish STB.

Wish there was another option.

I am still thinking something might happen towards the end of the summer.

roland

piperut said:
Wish there was another option.
I'm happy with my one year E*/VOOM deal: VOOM10, 942 is excellent, VOOM11 will be coming and hopefully we'll see Universal HD, WealthTV, CinemaxHD, TMC HD, and ESPN2HD by year end. I don't see D* doing much HD until fall/winter...so it should be interesting to see what happens during the Holidays. Additionally, Verizon FTTP/FiOS is coming to town and my local Adelphia (like many others) will be under new ownership (Comcast) this time next year. I feel E* is offering me the best and most HD now that VOOM DBS is gone, but there will certainly be many more options for most of us in the next 6-12 months. Who will get my business next year (D*, E*, Verizon, Comcast)??? We shall see!!!

I am happily vooming again, renting the box and getting hdpak/voom programming for $20/mnth with no commitment, and no worries when the mpeg4 cluster hits. Unlike some, the AT120 package I also subscribe to far surpasses what VOOM had to offer both in quantity and quality (though the SD quality is still far below good SD like PBS OTA DTV).

The cost of the basic DISH HD package is $ 10. (rounded) plus another $5 for the VOOM. Not $5+$5.

I am very happy with DISH and the PQ is far superior to VOOM in the latter days. I feel I am getting my monies worth plus a 942

I'm happy. All I have are movies (mostly), Dish HD Pack, Voom10, Showtime movie package and Encore A La Carte with Encore, Mystery, Love, Drama, Action and Western. I'm in movie heaven. Total bill with 2 stb's: $43.

riffjim4069 said:
I'm happy with my one year E*/VOOM deal: VOOM10, 942 is excellent, VOOM11 will be coming and hopefully we'll see Universal HD, WealthTV, CinemaxHD, TMC HD, and ESPN2HD by year end. I don't see D* doing much HD until fall/winter...so it should be interesting to see what happens during the Holidays. Additionally, Verizon FTTP/FiOS is coming to town and my local Adelphia (like many others) will be under new ownership (Comcast) this time next year. I feel E* is offering me the best and most HD now that VOOM DBS is gone, but there will certainly be many more options for most of us in the next 6-12 months. Who will get my business next year (D*, E*, Verizon, Comcast)??? We shall see!!!

I don't think UniversalHD will be coming to E* anytime soon due to a legal dispute with Universal. :no

dlsnyder said:
I don't think UniversalHD will be coming to E* anytime soon due to a legal dispute with Universal. :no

What dispute is that?

piperut said:
Are the people who have signed up with dish to receive the Voom channels happy?

Dish did not pick up all of the Voom channels, just some of them.
So far, I have only turned the Dish Network 180 package back on on a Dish 500 receiver and I am receiving my local channels on an OTA antenna.

I would have to invest in the Dish HD receiver to get the HD package with Voom. I do not like having to invest in a new receiver.

Then it would be $5 a month for the HD Dish package, and another $5 a month for the Voom package. This part is okay.

The technology changes so rapidly. I am wondering if the Voomers that have subscribed to Dish Network's Voom package are happy with it.

Do I wait a little while and see what happens with Voom and Charles Dolan?

The only thing I would like is the Hockey games in the fall in HD. Now that raises another issue - if the NHL can settle their labor dispute by the hockey season. If they don't settle, having a sports network in HD is sort of mute anyway.

So I have time to wait and see what happens.
We completed our year commitement to dish about 4 years ago, so we can ask them to turn it off anytime we want. We had been on a yearly pay plan, but we asked them to put us on a monthly pay plan.

So, I am wondering if people are happy with the Dish/Voom thing, or do I wait things out?

roland
It is better than no Voom, but I miss Cinema10, two HD feeds of HBO, SHO, STARZ and CINEMAX as well as TMC and UniversalHD. Technology wise the PQ is great, sound quality is good we were just spoiled with a lot more HD channels than Dish has. But right now, Dish is the best HD game in town. Mainly though I miss this the Cinema 10 and Cinemax HD channels. Otherwise I am a happy camper.

gutter said:
The cost of the basic DISH HD package is $ 10. (rounded) plus another $5 for the VOOM. Not $5+$5.

I am very happy with DISH and the PQ is far superior to VOOM in the latter days. I feel I am getting my monies worth plus a 942

When I talked to them, they said it was $5 for the Dish HD package, and $5 for the Voom package. It might have been $5 for the first 6 months on the HD package, and then $10 after that.The Voom package was $5 on top of that.

Everything keeps going up, and up. Not really happy with that.

roland

piperut said:
When I talked to them, they said it was $5 for the Dish HD package, and $5 for the Voom package. It might have been $5 for the first 6 months on the HD package, and then $10 after that.The Voom package was $5 on top of that.

Everything keeps going up, and up. Not really happy with that.

roland
The regular price is $10 HDPack and $5 VOOM = $15 total. They are giving it to you for $10 the first six months (a price break) and then $15 total after that (regular price). Where am I missing the going up and up part :confused:?

If you are a VOOM customer going to dish the HD pack is free for the first 6 months and then $10 +$5

Yes, I'm a happy camper. PQ is now on a par with that I received with VOOM hardware. Sure, I'd like all 21 VOOM channels, Universal HD, etc., but I realize that MPEG4 will make much more HD content on Dish a reality in a matter of months, not years.

Patience is a virtue....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts