Are local channels in HDTV?

Thank you Ken F. You've helped me out a great deal, and I appreciate your time. I'm logging off, but I'd love to learn your knowledge on when these DTV HD Tivo units are going to be released widely to the public.

Thanks again.
thyde

thyde,

Many Best Buys and Circuit Citys have recieved them (and then sold out). Good Guys has received some and is apparently to receive many more in the next week. You may want to get on a waiting list at your area retailer, if they have one.

I would definitely recommend buying locally. I would also plan to have my off-air antenna at the same time when you buy; that way, in the event you can't reliably receive all the local HD channels that you want, you can return it. IMO, a HDTV Tivo is very hard to justify if you can't reliably receive your local channels in HDTV.

Ken F said:
thyde,

A satellite dish is not an off-air antenna. An off-air antenna is what they used in the old days before satellite. You need an off-air antenna to receive HDTV signals from your local area broadcaster, typically 0-40 miles from your home. Satellite receivers with HDTV have two inputs; one for the satellite dish and one for your off-air antenna.

So, if I get the Dish HD package it would be an HD 'receiver' for locals? I'd just need to supply an antenna and an HD ready TV?

milhouse,

That's correct. Note that Dish Network does require that you have a dish installed before the box will work for the HDTV locals from an antenna. DirecTV HDTV receivers have no such requirement, although you do need a DirecTV subscription if you want to see the program information on all your HDTV locals in the guide.

You do not even need the Dish Network $9.99/mo HDTV package to watch your HDTV locals from an antenna, though I don't believe you may need that package to qualify for their free (free lease) HDTV receiver.

Off-air antenna connection to Dish HDTV receiver

Hello Ken,

I read carefully your very professional answers to other members
but I still have few questions . I want to combine off-air antenna
with my Dish to watch HDTV local channels using DISH 811 HDTV
receiver. Receiver has separate input for off-air antenna.
I want to avoid the installation of a separate cable from off-air antenna
to receiver. If it possible to mix both signals from Dish and Off-Air
antenna on a roof to use a single cable which I use now to watch a Dish?

leon223678 said:
Hello Ken,

I read carefully your very professional answers to other members
but I still have few questions . I want to combine off-air antenna
with my Dish to watch HDTV local channels using DISH 811 HDTV
receiver. Receiver has separate input for off-air antenna.
I want to avoid the installation of a separate cable from off-air antenna
to receiver. If it possible to mix both signals from Dish and Off-Air
antenna on a roof to use a single cable which I use now to watch a Dish?
Yes. Use diplexors to seperate the signal at the dish antenna, and again at the reciever. Run the split at the dish antenna to the OTA antenna. Adjust, and enjoy.

We generally discourage diplexing your OTA antenna signal with your satellite signal because it causes degradation of signal strength of both.

But if you are in an area where your OTA signal is strong enough that it does not matter, you can install a diplexer to join the cable from the antenna and the satellite, and install another before your tuners.

If you have an amplified antenna, you must buy diplexers that pass the voltage to both the LNB's and the antenna amplifier, hoping they are the sme voltage. Some apmlifier manufacturers make satellite compatible amplifiers that will use the voltage from the satellite receiver to power the pre-amp on the OTA antenna.

RE:Off-air antenna connection to Dish HDTV receiver

I have two 2LNB DISHes (two differnt orientations) connected using two DISHPRO DP21 switches with two outputs to TVs.

I want to "inject" AIR Antenna signal to both TVs by using diplexers.
It will save me from new Antenna cable installation

Is it OK to take signal after the switch and connect it to diplexer
( Output switch signal to SAT and Antenna signal to Antenna) ?
Please advice .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts