Are SD boxes faster than HD boxes?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scottysbody

Original poster
May 5, 2008
Simple question here, I have an H20 DirecTv box that is dreadfully slow at changing channels, channel input, etc. So much so that it really doesn't work when having my Tivo series 2 do the channel changing. I don't use the HD functionality of the H20 at all. Would switching from the HD DirecTV box to an SD DirecTV box decrease this channel changing latency? I had remember a few years ago when channel changing on DirecTV was pretty much instantaneous. Is there any way to achieve this now?

Thanks for your help.

Scotty

I have an HR21 for our HDTV in the living room and a standard box for the SDTV in the bedroom and yes the standard box is faster. Prob about 2X faster changing channels.

Jeff

This is a question I posed to the VP of Tech at D last Friday during an online chat. He said they are aware of the slowness issues and will work on each new software release to elimnate the issues. He said in a few releases the performance will be much improved.

The DVR's & HD's along with HD-DVR's are normally slower according to the tech support that answers the phone. But I would think that equitment that is suppose to be leading egde and "TOP OF THE LINE" would operate better and would not have as many problems as they do... D* has lost site of customers wants and request. Instead if you buy the equitment and the issue is something directv will fix in the future. You as the customer has to wait until that fix comes 2 or 3 weeks down the road. That is the worst customer service I have seen with them before, and then along with that when the customer service screws the bill up every month becasue of either having to get something working with the account or change programming and they still screw it up. I mean how hard is it to answer the phone and help your customer? For D* its very difficult.

I have new SD and HD DVRs (Plus DVR for SD, HR20) and the SD box is much faster for me. Channel scrolling/changing/playback response is much quicker on the SD box. It's like comparing a 486/66 to a 586/100 (you computer geeks will know what I mean.)

True

Yes, I do think and know that the SD boxes are faster than the DVR and HD-DVR. Even though a receiver having hard drive, makes it like a computer as directv would say. But they have new computers that have bigger RAM and are able to run and function with brilliant speed. Maybe we should give Directv some more RAM to help out with all there problems of latency with changing channels/scrolling guide/setting up recordings/using trickplay(ff/rr/pause/play). It would be greatly apperciated :D

Yes

That is a nice piece of equitment. From my parents recently got an DiSh Net HD-DVR and they were getting setup for the new offer where the machine was offered free and when they got there bill it was charged $299 for the HD-DVR. And numerous times I have seen on here where offers for HD-DVR or DVR from either provider with satellite and the informaiton seems to be incorrect or a person that takes calls for these companies can't simply read the stick notes lol.:up I have not personally gotten to work with the 622 but it sounds like a good piece of equitment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts