Are Skinny bundels the answer to cord cutting?

I think they can be, looking at the response to the flex pack for many it seems to be a good fit and for some its not. I think what some need to keep in mind, especially with packages link sling tv, I see many requests for channel adds, what people tend to forget is the more channels that get added the higher cost it will be, kind of like the Dish 120 customer that wants more and more channels, but expects cost to remain lower.

I just get the Welcome pack with Movie Pack added. $37 month. Cheaper than Flex pack and better selection for my viewing.
Welcome and Sling's Blue Pack which offers a boatload of soccer for $25 a month. Saving $35 a month now, and get FS2. Having this level of options is great as it allows the consumer to really pick and choose what they are willing to accept for a certain price level. It'd be nice if Sling could add a DVR option for no added or $5 a month, but I accept having to watch live for the price.

Reactions: pattykay
I think the industry needs to get there, with all the alternative ways to get programming people are finding there isn't a need to pay $100 a month for pay TV any longer, unless you're in the country and away from hi speed internet and OTA programming.

I have had the flex pack for about 3 or 4 weeks now. The only channels I miss are ESPN and NFL Network. Everything else is there that I watched on the 200 pack.

I was thinking though, it's obvious the industry is going towards steaming. Couldn't Dish and DTV start their own streaming subscribitions that included the local channels? I know Dish has slingtv, but the last time I checked, no locals. I think I may have read a couple weeks ago that dtv was releasing a stand alone streaming service with locals that was on devices like computers, tablets and mobile devices only?

If one of these company's would partner with someone like Apple and add it to the Apple TV that would be great. Just sell the local channels to them. Apple could then work out deals for other channels with Dish or Direct or just go straight to the provider.

Actually I am surprised now that Apple hasn't bought Dish Network yet. They could phase out the Dish set top boxes and move everything to the Apple TV as mentioned. They have plenty of money to do Something like this and have been investigating stuff like this for awhile

None of these OTT (streaming) channels can be made available without agreements with the channel owners, which usually don't come until the existing contract with the channel owner runs out. SlingTV probably took years to develop the channel lineup as contracts with various channel owners expired. I would imagine the local channels would need to be negotiated as well, and with locals having exclusive DMA access, it would be harder to come up with a system that would satisfy both the channel owners and the FCC that the people receiving the locals are truly in the DMA. Though I believe Playstation Vue has accomplished such an arrangement.

None of these OTT (streaming) channels can be made available without agreements with the channel owners, which usually don't come until the existing contract with the channel owner runs out. SlingTV probably took years to develop the channel lineup as contracts with various channel owners expired. I would imagine the local channels would need to be negotiated as well, and with locals having exclusive DMA access, it would be harder to come up with a system that would satisfy both the channel owners and the FCC that the people receiving the locals are truly in the DMA. Though I believe Playstation Vue has accomplished such an arrangement.
Here is a crazy idea, make OTT have to broadcast over IP.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Here is a crazy idea, make OTT have to broadcast over IP.

They kinda already do, CBS, Fox, ABC, NBC have apps on the Roku, ABC and NBC you can watch shows a week after they air without signing in ( the next day with log in), Fox I believe is sign in only, CBS you have to pay and The CW app is coming soon ( by the end of Sept.) and you can view shows the day after with no log in.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

They kinda already do, CBS, Fox, ABC, NBC have apps on the Roku, ABC and NBC you can watch shows a week after they air without signing in ( the next day with log in), Fox I believe is sign in only, CBS you have to pay and The CW app is coming soon ( by the end of Sept.) and you can view shows the day after with no log in.
I meant to live stream the channel, not on demand.

Won't happen since your local broadcast is restricted to your DMA and there is no way to monitor that it wouldn't be available elsewhere.
That blanket statement doesn't work. Playstation Vue found a way to offer some local channels.

I see the day when network broadcasting will be totally national and will be available as streams.... I think it will be sooner rather than later...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts