Are there any downfalls for using a pole mount instead of mounting on house?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wope

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Louisiana
I'm having DirecTV installed on my home this Saturday. I really don't want to mount the dish to my home because it is newly built and I don't like the idea of that, so I will likely ask for a pole mount install. Are there any downfalls to having the pole mount? Also, how badly is the installer going to tear up my new lawn for this? How do they usually bury the cable?

Thanks.

I'm having DirecTV installed on my home this Saturday. I really don't want to mount the dish to my home because it is newly built and I don't like the idea of that, so I will likely ask for a pole mount install. Are there any downfalls to having the pole mount? Also, how badly is the installer going to tear up my new lawn for this? How do they usually bury the cable?

Thanks.

I guess it depends on the tech that comes out; most are going to charge extra for the pole mount & rightly so. Depending on the line of sight there's going to be digging involved (for the cable run) & of course the hole for the pole, cement & some re-barb to keep the pole stable. The only downfall I can think of is the price & time of the install when you could probably do some/most of this work yourself if you already knew the correct placement for the dish. Money aside, having the dish at ground level really pays dividends if you live in any snow-belts as it makes brushing off the snow fast & safe when nature hits.
I'm sure some installers will chime in here, but I would expect some type of negotiation here as most consider this a custom install.

Yeah, it seems that the going rate is ~$75 and that is fine with me. I'm not so handy and don't even want to attempt trying to do it myself. I live in the New Orleans area so snow is a once in a few years type event... I guess my question was is it going to have any long-term side effects such as weaker signals or anything. I just don't know whats worse. Drilling holes into the house or tearing up the lawn.

Yeah, it seems that the going rate is ~$75 and that is fine with me. I'm not so handy and don't even want to attempt trying to do it myself. I live in the New Orleans area so snow is a once in a few years type event... I guess my question was is it going to have any long-term side effects such as weaker signals or anything. I just don't know whats worse. Drilling holes into the house or tearing up the lawn.

look at it this way .... as long as you have clear line of site ... on the roof or on the ground ... not to much difference ... a few feet or so doesnt matter ... the sats are only 23,000 miles away

Your grass will grow back before you know it also if you want, you can bury it yourself and make the trench as small as you like. I'm sure the installer would be thrilled to know your going to bury it , less for him to deal with.
Also, if you had the post already in that would be better yet.
Make certain that it is plumb and has clear view to the south/southwest sky.

They didn't charge extra for a pole mount for me and the Orlando Installer did a fantastic job. I didn't want that dish on the roof of my house . Mine is not seen because it's in the back and I have a fence around the house.

If you want a pole install you should also make sure that it is added to your work order. This way you make sure that the installer has a pole with him for your installation.

If you want a pole install you should also make sure that it is added to your work order. This way you make sure that the installer has a pole with him for your installation.

Or you should get an independent retailer who probably always has a pole with him and may not even charge for the pole mount. But then that would have already been discussed with him before he came out. And you would have his phone number to call when you needed him.

I like having a pole mount. due to the reasons listed above.

#1 easy to get to, while we don't have snow, the wind sometimes knocks dishes around down here. My SL5 hasn't moved though in the 2 years its been there, the previous dish on the pole moved once.

I had two of my lines buried in plastic pipe already, the the installer just replaced the cable ends and aligned the dish. The installer also ran two more lines, the grass grew over the disturbed ground in a week.

I have mine mounted on a pole also........for a couple of reasons, snow being one of them. My pole cost $80 and he used a bag of quickcrete to stabilize it. I actually like it because it sits along the tree line and the dish is hardly noticeable......not that that was an issue anyway, just kinda nice.

Plus if I ever need to trouble shoot the run, it's easier to get to.

If you get a lawn edger (non powered) just walk it in a line and wiggle it you can bury the cable about 4" down then just do the waddle walk to close it back up - won't wreck your lawn at all

If you get a lawn edger (non powered) just walk it in a line and wiggle it you can bury the cable about 4" down then just do the waddle walk to close it back up - won't wreck your lawn at all

Unless it's in a conduit, 4" isn't deep enough. It could eventually work it's way out of the ground. It's also too easy to forget where it is an accidentally cut into it.

I live in NE Wisconsin and have a house mounted 5LNB SWiM dish. I would love to move it to a pole mount this summer for the fact of brushing snow off of it.

Can someone please post where I can get the appropriate diameter pole? Also how high off the ground and how far in the ground do you suggest I go with it?

About 12 years ago I did my own pole mount installation. Back in those days, E* sent a videotape of how to self-install and gave you a $75 credit. It was very easy. Over the next 10 years with E* I changed out my dish, added a second one, upgraded the LNBs, ran a second coax into the house. None of their techs every touched my installation. Never had any problems with it.

It felt strange when I had to let the D* guy do the install a couple of years ago. I had it put on the roof because the neighbor's trees had grown so high in the ensuing 10 years, that I lost my line of sight.

Or you should get an independent retailer who probably always has a pole with him and may not even charge for the pole mount. But then that would have already been discussed with him before he came out. And you would have his phone number to call when you needed him.

An Independent installer will DEFINITELY charge for doing work at your place, however you may get a better job, because you are paying for the install.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)