Are there plans to replace Nimiq 3?

angiodan

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Cape Coral, Florida
Being in SW Florida, and mainly wanting BEV for HD and Leafs hockey, I really wasn't losing much by not seeing N3.

However, the Leafs have announced that 13 of their games this season (as well as all preseason games) will be on Leafs TV, which, surprise, is on N3. And I'm sure they will carry more next year.

13 games out of 82 isn't too bad, and some of those are on the west coast which I wouldn't be watching anyway, but, like typical human nature, I hate not having the choice to be able to see it!! :D

I know this was an older crippled Directv sat, so I'm hoping they are planning on replacing it, or it craps out all together!

They are using N3 to help keep N1 from blowing up. N1 is close on its last legs so they used N3 as a crutch for right now. Remember, N2 was originally planned to replace N1 until that one blew up too : )

As a Leafs fan, I’m pretty stoked that Leafs TV will have some games….waiting for 1st game :D

They should have something soon to replace both of them

But isn't the footprint of N3 doing what Bell intended? Better signal in northern parts of Canada.

Not that it helps people in Florida, but if it was their intention to not service the US, then it's doing what they want it to.

Ken, you are right, it is doing what it is supposed to do, it just sucked that we fell out of range. I just hope when the replace it, it will have a nice big footprint! :)

Angiodan,
I was a former Expressvu subscriber on the other side of the Caloosahatchee (in Fort Myers). I held out until January 2005 in hopes that the Nimiq 3 situation would improve. Unfortunately, it has not (I do still have my Expressvu dish up). However, I made the switch over to Starchoice in January.

As Iceberg mentioned, Leafs TV is available on Starchoice which I have a subscription to. Not only is Leafs TV doing the 13 regular season games, they are also doing all of the Leafs preseason games, I beleive that there are 10 games there.

If you ever decide to make the switch over to Starchoice and need an installer, I can let you know of the company here in Fort Myers who installed my 75 cm Starchoice system.

Iceberg...I really don't post that often, but frequently visit the DBS boards. I wanted to compliment you on all the assistance that you provide in regards to Canadian DBS questions and subjects that arise.

Chas

Thanks for the info Chas. I had Evu in the past till the N3 move, and then hockey was wiped out anyway. The deal breaker for me with Starchoice was no TSN HD and CBC-HD.

Iceberg, now to only convince Evu to move Leafs TV to N1! :)

Iceberg said:
look on the bright side....EVu DID move some of the more popular channels off N3 to N1 :)

I guess one of them is standard def TSN on 400. I got my programming activated last night, and was surprised to see it. Lyngsat still has it shown on a N3 transponder. Do you have a list of the channels they moved Iceberg?

I'll have to get BEV to rehit my box. TSN-HD is still red in my guide, but even weirder, Sportsnet HD doesn't show up in the guide at all. You would think it would at least be there, even if they didn't properly activate it.

Can't wait for October 5th and hockey season! :D

angiodan said:
I guess one of them is standard def TSN on 400. I got my programming activated last night, and was surprised to see it. Lyngsat still has it shown on a N3 transponder. Do you have a list of the channels they moved Iceberg?

I'll have to get BEV to rehit my box. TSN-HD is still red in my guide, but even weirder, Sportsnet HD doesn't show up in the guide at all. You would think it would at least be there, even if they didn't properly activate it.

Can't wait for October 5th and hockey season! :D

I don't have ExpressVu anymore but I can compile a list of the N3 channels this weekend :)