Are there Satellite Trade Shows any more

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Davage

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Are there Satellite Trade shows any more? I'm talking about the type that Bob Cooper used to organize back in the old days. Somewhere that they show all of the latest receivers and technologies, but are not limited to showing just the commercial DBS services such as Direct and Dish.

I have attended the Dayton Hamvention, and got to see all kinds of neat radios some different satellite toys there.

I was just wondering if there are events where all of the different receiver and dish manufacturers come out to show their wares? ie: Fortec Star, AZBox, Stab Motors, BirdDog satellite meters, etc... Something that a hobbiest would like to attend.

I've been to SATCON in NYC a couple of times, which is a very interesting expo. However, the equipment is geared toward the commercial marketplace (broadcasters and cable providers).

The last two shows in April 2006 and 2007 in Atlanta were probably the end of the line for dealer oriented trade shows. Despite the draw of a Pioneer's Reunion by Bob Cooper, there were as many people at the booths as attendees.
The ill fated Reno show that was supposed to follow the Atlanta show was likely the coffin nail in the satellite trade show industry. (The promoter did not have his financial act together, resulting in an ugly situation for the first exhibitors trying to set up their displays, only to find out that nobody had made the proper deposits to reserve convention center space.)

Follow the money trail. There were no programmers at these later shows, unlike the days in Las Vegas and Nashville. No big dish antenna manufacturers either (I set up SAMI antennas for a distributor, who did give them a small bit of publicity.
The majority of the exhibitors were selling Free To Air receivers and associated hardware, and since that time, most of those companies have exited the business.

What we have left are survivors...who are waiting and wondering what might be next. You can help the rest of us stay in business by not treating every transaction as a flea market bargaining session. 4DTV and other Digicipher 2 programming can still be available, but it needs new customers. I have heard a number of comments that the pictures from movie channels on W5, using the DSR-410, are very close to the same quality as that of high definition offered by the little dish guys. Take a peak at what companies such as Skyvision can deliver in this area. (I didn't even mention the advantages of not losing signal on c-band when it rains!)

What we have left are survivors...who are waiting and wondering what might be next. You can help the rest of us stay in business by not treating every transaction as a flea market bargaining session. 4DTV and other Digicipher 2 programming can still be available, but it needs new customers. I have heard a number of comments that the pictures from movie channels on W5, using the DSR-410, are very close to the same quality as that of high definition offered by the little dish guys. Take a peak at what companies such as Skyvision can deliver in this area. (I didn't even mention the advantages of not losing signal on c-band when it rains!)

DC-2 especially the master feeds have fantastic pictures. Pizza dishes even there HD lite can't really compete there is no rain fade. The client I set up a 410 system for about a year ago has had no issues at all with rain or snow.

NPS has driven a nail in the 4DTV with their exiting the business. What we need now is some kind of incentives to keep those teetering on going to pizza to stay around. Maybe you can pitch a few suggestions to SRL about programming options Mike. Could Skyvision and SRL offer a few different packages or more single channel alacarts? What are the chances of picking up the other W5 channels we can't get that we know are there like Soapnet? How about the masters like ABC family and Disney on G5. They just added the west coast feeds to that mux in 19510 3/4 so it's good for the 4D. If you guys can make things happen your on the way.

Myself I love the 4DTV and will ride it out. I'm not going anywhere. More options would be great though. But you guys do need to offer something ASAP that can grab those that are ready to switch or get people back. Hope you guys can sit down with HITS and the programmers and make something happen that can start a desire for c band programming again.

Last edited:
Back in 2007 I attended the Dayton Hamvention and enjoyed seeing all of the radio technology that was available. I also spent some very enjoyable time chatting with Bob Cooper. There were people like Sadoun who had booths set up showing what is available in Free-To-Air as well. I bought some equipment while at the show.

I have been a satellite enthusiast since about 1988. I love the technology, but I also realize that unless someone does something big to save C-Band direct to home subscription tv, it will be gone soon. Dish and Direct have got some really neat PVR technology that isn't available to big dish owners, and the lack of PVR/DVR technolgy makes it a tough sell to convert people to C-Band subscription TV.

I guess that I'd love to have an opportunity to go somewhere to see the latest satellite receivers and dishes in operation before I buy. I trust that guys like SatelliteAV are selling a solid product, but it is always nice to see the receivers running before making the decision to purchase.

I have been a satellite enthusiast since about 1988. I love the technology, but I also realize that unless someone does something big to save C-Band direct to home subscription tv, it will be gone soon. Dish and Direct have got some really neat PVR technology that isn't available to big dish owners, and the lack of PVR/DVR technolgy makes it a tough sell to convert people to C-Band subscription TV.

I know it's hard and lean times for c band subs right now. NPS should be shot for what they are doing. Why can't they exit c band gracefully? It will backfire on them one way or another. Getting back to Skyvision and SRL, you guys need to make it happen. Talk is cheap as NPS did for many many years. If nothing else for starters if offering more single alacart to W5 that could go a long way since most people are fed up with packages and the prices. Maybe mix and match like in the old days with discounts when adding more you pick services.

My list of things to save c band subscription:

1) More alacarte or more choice with packages.
2) More channels.
3) Get access to remaining master feeds.
4) New receiver that can receive megapipe (and all the HITS birds)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts