Are these sat locaters any good?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Phils

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Paradise, CA
I'm Dish'n Up to a VIP612 (from a 501) for our RV. The installer is coming tomorrow, since it was a change to HD they wouldn't just ship the unit and a 3-LNB Dish. Initially I figured on just putting the dish in the garage and having the 612 'see' 110 and 119 only on my old dish, mostly because I've found 129 difficult to peak on my house dish and there are "enough" stations on the two.

However, I recently installed a flatscreen HD TV in the RV and now figure I might as well "rough it" with HD this year. I have one of the cheap ($30?) satellite meters. That cheap meter DID eventually find 110 & 119 everywhere we camped but it took 20 to 30 minutes each time, AFTER I learned here about the tin-foil trick and quit picking up the wrong bird.

I see three digital meters in my affordable range, all from SatPro.tv. So first, is SatPro.tv a company that's reputable and one I'd want to do business with? Is there a sponsor of this site that'd have the same units at a comparable price?

Second, third and fourth -- could I read some opinions on these three please? Or, understanding my budget and use, is there something else I should consider?

New TRACKER LIGHT Satellite Meter Signal LOCKED $240

TRACKER PLUS Satellite Meter is the best meter for DirecTV and DISH Network $170

Mini Tracker Satellite Meters and Finder $94

Or is the brand one I want to avoid?

I'm leaning toward the Trackerlight because it displays so much more information. But using it 8 or 10 times a year might be a huge waste if one of the others would be just as quick and accurate.

Phil

Search for Perfect ten meters such as the accutrac, these seem to be the same or a close copy. Do you really need a new meter?

Last edited:
In all honesty if you have a meter that you can find 119,110 w/ there really is no reason to get another meter because if you can find those to w/ your meter the 129 will be there no matter what as long as there is no line of sight issue. but if you feel like you need another one try a sat buddy little black hand held for that dish it should do the trick for you or you can kick it back old school and get an aspen eagle or something like that gives you a real nice high pitch squeal when you get it on

Search for Perfect ten meters such as the accutrac, these seem to be the same or a close copy. Do you really need a new meter?

Maybe I've been overanalyzing my situation. My cheap meter worked OK for 110 and 119, I've just seen over the years how much harder it's been to find 129. The 1000.4 dish that came with the receiver looks to be easier to aim, especially the "fine tune" options on that dish that I've never seen before. I'll try it with the old meter and then search for both of your suggestions if a new one still seems necessary.

Thanks for the replies.

Phil

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)