Are you paying full price?

Bobby_M

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
First, I want to say that all service providers hate me because I play the intro offers to the end and then leave or at least threaten to leave. I wonder how many other people are like me and how many just let the discounts collapse to full price.

CV stole me from Dish two years ago with an offer I couldn't refuse. Two Tuner HD DVR 8300HD with silver (includes HBO) for $59 total per month for the first year, then $69 the second year. OK, great.

That deal expired recently so it went to $85 total. Called the disconnect dept to negotiate a better deal. He offered free DVR for 6mos ($10/m discount). No thanks.

I then called dish, with DVR advantage, etc similar package/equip I'd get an average of $66/m for the 18 month contract. Ordered it.

I call CV back with the hardline, disconnect me next Monday routine and the new offer goes to a $28/m discount for 6 months. I suppose you could pull this every six months or at least do it once a year for an average of $14 discount.

I'm still going back to dish to check out their HD, but there's always the option to go back. I'm just saying, if you don't mind calling every six months, you too can be a hated customer for less $$$

You'll find that they have your account history on file, and your offers will be different depending on your loyalty/subscription size/etc. Or at least that has been the experience of "someone I know" who likes to play hardball with his service providers in order to get the best pricing/deals

You have to wonder though. Does their rockbottom discount already provide enough margin that it's work keeping you at that price ongoing or is it a break even or even a small loss with the expectation that you'll be a cash cow for years at full price.

I would think it's close to break even since the majority of customers will continue on at full price. I suppose if they see a cycle, they might want to blacklist you to cut the adminstrative drain you put on their disconnect dept.

I do this with any service I get from cell phones, to credit cards to lawn care. If im going to be giving someone my money I want to make sure im getting the best deal they will offer me. Its not being a bad customer its being a smart consumer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)