Argh! iPhone repair fun!

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
Stretch-O-Vision (R): iPhone repair fun!

Before you laugh, realize that taking things apart and putting back together has always been a way of life for me. Sometimes I even end up without parts left over.

My iPhone 3G has had this distracting crack across the top half of the screen for the longest time. Nothing to impair functionality, just annoying. Well, lucky me, I have found something even more annoying than that.

I found on ebay the replacement glass/digitizer panel and a toolset for around $15 bucks. I thought, hey, why not give that a try. I also found a video on the Internet that shows just how easy it is to do your own repairs.

By following the video instructions meticulously, I ended up with brand-new uncracked, unscratched glass on the front panel... and a big black blotch on the LCD panel where the Safari icon lives, and a crack all the way from there to the top edge. Oh no! The video plainly shows using the plastic tool to gently lift the LCD panel away from the front assembly. What it doesn't show you is that you also need to flex the little clips on each side, so that it will freely come out when lifted. As soon as I lifted it the first time I heard two distinct sounds: the "crack" of the LCD panel and at that same instant the gurgling in my stomach as the realization hit me.

I put it all back together, amazingly the thing still works, though the colors are wacky and some stuff I just can't see.

Well the same ebay seller also has the LCD panels for around $30 bucks, plus I now have the complete knowledge of how to do this type of repair. Official Apple-sanctioned training classes would probably run me more than $45 so I guess it will be ok. And maybe I can recoup my costs by doing the same repair for friends and associates. I've just got to live with this nasty looking screen until the part gets here. What fun!

ha ha, maybe so. but as far as I can tell, the people selling the parts are not affiliated in any way with those who did the video.

I just dropped my iPhone and cracked the screen. Everything still works. I have the extended. Do they really just take your phone away for some time for repair? Loaner? Allow you to move SIM to another, owned phone?

You can move the sim to another owned phone, don't know about a loaner. My secretary cracked the screen on hers and we put her sim in my old phone, why hers was being repaired.

I just dropped my iPhone and cracked the screen. Everything still works. I have the extended. Do they really just take your phone away for some time for repair? Loaner? Allow you to move SIM to another, owned phone?

My brother has broken his iPhone 2x. Make an appointment at an Apple store and they will fix it on the spot while you watch/wait. If you do not have an Apple store near you, I guess you will have to send it in. My brother had his screen replaced and his button fixed in the past.

Thank you. There is an Apple store near me - beats going to AT&T store.

Again, thanks.

Well, Apple Store visit was a bust, as I posted elsewhere.

Thank you for your tip. I went on eBay (hadn't been there in years! 2006?) and found and bought the kit. REALLY surprising to see how many new iPhone screens are being sold.

The warranty does not cover a drop does it??

I thought that was about the only issue the warranty would not cover.

Warranty, extended or otherwise, does not cover "abuse" which includes dropping it.

I'm just hoping I can fix it successfully with the kit. Less than $20.

How much would Apple charge you to put in a new display using your kit??

They may not do it since it is not from them. I have seen them put new ones in and it only takes them about 5 minutes.

Did not consider that one. I "hear" but can't quite believe, that Apple will charge almost $200 to repair a broken iPhone screen. That just can't be so. Can it?

That is crazy. I have no idea what they charge but I wouldn't be surprised if it is that much.

I know someone that will work on iPhones in his spare time (jailbreak, unlocking, new displays.)

if I'm not mistaken he charges $75 and he supplys the kit. Maybe you can fine someone locally that does things like that.

my iphone failed totally. it will not power up or turn on. (iphone 3G 8GB).
I went to at&t for help and didn't get any (imagine that). I have four months left on my
contract and at&t offered me an "early upgrade discount" of 400.00 for a refurbished iphone
3G ....Ha Ha ..yeah right!!!, i think it was either 459.00 or 499.00 for a new 3GS....got even funnier... Like i am pulling 500.00 dollars out of my pocket for a phone that can be broken, lost, stolen, or just quit working like mine did.

I didn't realize how much "value" and hype the iphone culture has grown into.
these things are still p-h-o-n-e-s!!! good grief.

I said screw the iphone and i got on ebay and ordered a new in the box unlocked blackberry bold 3G / WIFI for 329.00.
seller offers a two year warranty. I have learned with these carriers just buy your own phone and pay their service without their contracts.

it amazes me how at&t is only into recruiting new customers on their already overloaded 3G network instead of taking care of the their old established loyal customers (8 years for me) who pay their 107.00 per month bill every month on time.

at&t didn't care that i would potentially be paying for 4 months of unlimited data that i could not use. they are fine with taking my money knowing that i can't use the service.

they didn't make the iphone ...apple did. but they sure are holding me to my contract without offering very much to get a working phone.

i own a business and i have customers under contract. one has been under contract for 17 years! the others are 12 + years under contract renewing every year.
i didn't keep these people this long by being a hardball not offering any assistance when some unforseen event took place and they needed some help or alteration.

i wonder if 4 month (107.00 x 4 months) is worth the next several years of (107.00 + x how many years i would have kept them)?....bad business decision at&t!!!

my iphone failed totally. it will not power up or turn on. (iphone 3G 8GB).
I went to at&t for help and didn't get any (imagine that). I have four months left on my
contract and at&t offered me an "early upgrade discount" of 400.00 for a refurbished iphone
3G ....Ha Ha ..yeah right!!!, i think it was either 459.00 or 499.00 for a new 3GS....got even funnier... Like i am pulling 500.00 dollars out of my pocket for a phone that can be broken, lost, stolen, or just quit working like mine did.

I didn't realize how much "value" and hype the iphone culture has grown into.
these things are still p-h-o-n-e-s!!! good grief.

I said screw the iphone and i got on ebay and ordered a new in the box unlocked blackberry bold 3G / WIFI for 329.00.
seller offers a two year warranty. I have learned with these carriers just buy your own phone and pay their service without their contracts.

it amazes me how at&t is only into recruiting new customers on their already overloaded 3G network instead of taking care of the their old established loyal customers (8 years for me) who pay their 107.00 per month bill every month on time.

at&t didn't care that i would potentially be paying for 4 months of unlimited data that i could not use. they are fine with taking my money knowing that i can't use the service.

they didn't make the iphone ...apple did. but they sure are holding me to my contract without offering very much to get a working phone.

i own a business and i have customers under contract. one has been under contract for 17 years! the others are 12 + years under contract renewing every year.
i didn't keep these people this long by being a hardball not offering any assistance when some unforseen event took place and they needed some help or alteration.

i wonder if 4 month (107.00 x 4 months) is worth the next several years of (107.00 + x how many years i would have kept them)?....bad business decision at&t!!!

4months left on your contract with at&t? They would not let you get a phone for $99 dollars for a new 3g with a 2 yr renewal? There is more to this story. If you get a new 2 yr contract then u could of gotten a new 3GS or a 3G phone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)