Wescopc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 11, 2005
Canby, Oregon
BREAKING NEWS: Arthur C. Clarke Passes Away
According to press reports, science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke has passed away. He was 90.

Clarke was the author of more than 100 books, including "2001: A Space Odyssey." Clarke was well-known in satellite circles, receiving credit for developing the concept of geostationary satellites for communications. He proposed the idea in a paper titled "Extra-Terrestrial Relays" published in Wireless World in October 1945.

In fact, geostationary orbit is sometimes referred to as the Clarke Belt in his honor.

Clarke, who had lived in Sri Lanka since 1956, was also a British citizen who received a knighthood in 2000.

Philo got, errr, "nailed to the wall." RCA outwaited him and never paid him royalties.

When I saw this news, tears immediately filled my eyes. I have never met Sir Clarke, but I was fortunate enough to receive a telephone call from him last year before the big SBE Pioneers Dinner.

On the call he thanked me for my work on the Pioneer Dinner event and also congradulated me on my success of SatelliteGuys and even joked that he considered himself a SatelliteGuy too. For me it was an honor to speak with him.

Thank you Sir Clarke.

Sir Arthur Clarke - We thank you. May your spirit rise high and see first-hand those satellites out in space.

On a bit of a humorous note - I have a T-Shirt that Bob Cooper gave to me. It is a picture of Sir Clarke, himself wearing a t-shirt that says "I invented the satellite, and all I got was this shirt" (or something like that). I have never worn the shirt, and I plan on keeping it in prestine shape so that someday I can help my son do a school project on satellites. He can wear that shirt while giving his presentation.

One of the greatest science fiction writers. Years ahead of his time. A great loss to humanity.

He was one of the best science fiction writers of all time. He will definitely be missed.

Mario

As a point of order, a knighted person is referred to as Sir followed by the given name and then, optionally, the surname. So it is properly Sir Arthur or Sir Arthur Clarke - never Sir Clarke.

A sad day indeed. One of my favourite authors. In fact, just last month when my son (aged 14) was looking for a book to read and review for school, I suggested he read (and he did) Rendezvous With Rama.

I was shocked and saddened to hear the news of his passing. Sir Arthur Clarke's contributions, both to science fiction as a genre and to the science of space travel, are his legacies for the world.

I hope he's now watching over our work in space from above.

Sir Arthur Clarke

I dont speak much but decided to chime in. I am wearing his shirt today for his honor. Sir Arthur you will be missed. GOD bless thee.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)