Article in TWICE magazine about Ergen

Well, I like the article, but I hate the way Charlie talks about somehow monetizing ad-skipping on Dish dvrs. I don't see any good way to do that short of preventing ad skipping on certain, targeted commercials. Or is the targeted ad for some viewers somehow going to make up for those of us who continue to skip?

"The Hopper, as it turns out, has built-in technology that can target commercials to customers and give the customer a better experience.”

Not quite sure how that is meant, but it's not a warm fuzzy feeling. Advertisers will have some commercials that will not and can not be skipped for a fee?

The Dish chairman said he would entertain almost any scenario to complete his goal, including “selling our company, merging, partnering – those are all on the table.”
He even listed key rivals Sprint and DirecTV as potential partners.

He sure sounds serious about this.Not sure I like the idea though.

I'm sure he is more aware than anyone that the "hay days" are about over.

The original hay days are long gone that's for sure. He does seem to have a vision for the future of Dish though. He's not going to just give it all up.

The original hay days are long gone that's for sure. He does seem to have a vision for the future of Dish though. He's not going to just give it all up.

Give no way,sell and retire,very possible.

"The Hopper, as it turns out, has built-in technology that can target commercials to customers and give the customer a better experience.”

Not quite sure how that is meant, but it's not a warm fuzzy feeling. Advertisers will have some commercials that will not and can not be skipped for a fee?

Maybe ads built in the guide like cable tv dvrs? Or maybe they track what people watch, and can eventually PUSH specific targetted commercials to those tastes and hope the person watches some of them.

I could see him try to sell Dish and keep the wireless part to himself.

As far as monetizing the commercial skipping technology, I think Dish would lose a ton of customers if they were forced to watch "targeted" commercials instead of being able to skip them.

I think the current TV model has about 5 good years left. Eventually enough people will drop down to lower tiers or cut the TV cord and do internet only to break the model. Eventually I see fewer commercials and more paid shows. Netflix and Amazon are trying with their own series. Eventually HBO/SHO/MAX/STARZ will join them without a cable subscription. TV channels will then have to decide free of charge with commercials (like the news channels and sports where it is unlikely people will record to skip commercials), or a la carte with no or few commercials.

Why does ESPN have commercials? It is nearly as expensive as a premium channel? They should wise up and act like it and cut commercials down quite a bit, make it feel like a channel worth paying $5-6 (soon to be $9) per month...

Last edited:
I could see him try to sell Dish and keep the wireless part to himself.

As far as monetizing the commercial skipping technology, I think Dish would lose a ton of customers if they were forced to watch "targeted" commercials instead of being able to skip them.

I think the current TV model has about 5 good years left. Eventually enough people will drop down to lower tiers or cut the TV cord and do internet only to break the model. Eventually I see fewer commercials and more paid shows. Netflix and Amazon are trying with their own series. Eventually HBO/SHO/MAX/STARZ will join them without a cable subscription. TV channels will then have to decide free of charge with commercials (like the news channels and sports where it is unlikely people will record to skip commercials), or a la carte with no or few commercials.

Why does ESPN have commercials? It is nearly as expensive as a premium channel? They should wise up and act like it and cut commercials down quite a bit, make it feel like a channel worth paying $5-6 (soon to be $9) per month...

Why does ESPN have commercials? I know ESPN is the most expensive channel but do you have any idea what their expenses are? Look how much money they shell out to carry all these sporting events. I'm assuming it's more or similar to what HBO has.

The providers need to get rid of having ESPN in a base package and selling it a la carte

Then you might as well add in ABC owned and operated channels and Disney channels as well because one ain't gonna happen without the other, and you know it..... Keep stirring the pot Claude...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)