Just canceled Dish - Continue using 722k DVR?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stevemarks

Original poster
Dec 20, 2013
Los Angeles
Hi, I searched around and couldn't find a definitive answer.

I just canceled my DISH service, and found out that I own the VIP 722k DVR I'd been using these last few years (somehow I thought I was leasing it, but maybe it was free with my 24 month contract from before?) Anyway, when I turn it on, it still works and seems to be still pulling down a few channels from the satellite (mostly shopping channels like QVC, HSN, etc.)

I also own a digital OTA antenna which can get all of the major networks. I'm wondering if I can purchase the Dish MT2 OTA Module off of ebay and hook my antenna to my 722k, and continue using it even without a DISH subscription. Specifically, will I be able to record network programming onto the DVR?

Thanks!

The channels you are receiving are just free access channels and do not require any kind of subscription.

I believe that you will end up losing the DVR functions shortly after you drop your account so you will not be able to use it for only OTA channels.

The channels you are receiving are just free access channels and do not require any kind of subscription.

I believe that you will end up losing the DVR functions shortly after you drop your account so you will not be able to use it for only OTA channels.

Will the DVR functionality stop even if I've disconnected the phone line and ethernet cable?

Once the smart card times out you will have a boat anchor. Go to the ota forum and look for information on TiVo and Channel Master OTA DVRs.

There's no way that you own the 722k if you did not purchase it. I would suggest that you contact DIRT to confirm, else you are risking a nasty surprise in the form of a $400 bill.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

When you say you found out you own it, did DISH tell you that when you cancelled? If they have it in their system that you own it, that might be the end of it. But I do agree check with DIRT to be sure it shows you own it.

If you're not coming back to Dish, AND you in fact do own it (which I doubt - CSR error), sell it. Sell it soon, as it's value drops every day.

When you say you found out you own it, did DISH tell you that when you cancelled? If they have it in their system that you own it, that might be the end of it. But I do agree check with DIRT to be sure it shows you own it.

Yes, the CSR told me when I canceled that the system showed that I own the 722k, and that I would be receiving boxes in the mail but to ignore them since the receiver belonged to me.

And I'm pretty new here - how do I contact DIRT? Can I PM one of them, or will they post in this forum?

Yes, the CSR told me when I canceled that the system showed that I own the 722k, and that I would be receiving boxes in the mail but to ignore them since the receiver belonged to me.

And I'm pretty new here - how do I contact DIRT? Can I PM one of them, or will they post in this forum?

Definitely make sure that it's not leased. I can't imagine that it's purchased. You would know, it would have cost you a few hundred dollars when you got it.

Pm a red username that is currently online.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you have cancelled your services, you are not able to get programming on the 722k. I would be happy to review whether it is purchased or not to be safe. Please send me a PM with your account or phone number!

I put one on my 722k's on suspend for the winter and I can still get all the preview/freeview channels and watch recorded programs.

The OTA of course does not work.

I guess when you cancel service you get nothing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)