Article on ESPN/Dish Upcoming Negotiations

My daughter watches Disney channel ALL the time - I hope the HD versions come back soon. Sports and ESPN are non-issues to me but Disney, Disney XD, ABC Family, etc. are all big channels for our family and have been missed in proper HD.

My son watches a lot of the Disney channel as well but it will be years before he care about HD and my wife doesn't care as well. Movies and sports are the biggest need for HD in my opinion. Not sure why it's such a big deal to have Disney in HD honestly. I'd much rather have ESPNU in HD.

Last edited:
Yeah ESPN is begging to be a pain I hope Fox with their regional sport networks and this new One channel do well ESPN needs more competition.
In this case, competition just drives up prices, as the bidding war (read: more money) for exclusive rights will now escalate.

Just going on channels a carrier must have, DISH will "cave" some on this one imho if needed. They need the ESPN's (in HD) and they need at least some of the Disney channels. I am not convinced the cartoon channels have to be in HD, but I'm sure they will be. I also think ESPN classic will come back to the at least the top250 package. This all could be at the cost of some other channels if DISH feels they had to pay too much and are worried about how much they will need to raise rates.

It appears DISH has about as many subscribers they are going to get unless they do something different. If they could drop prices significantly that would do it, but they have one way for that to happen that I am aware if they could do it. Put sports in a separate package. For those who got the package cost would not go down (could go up) but for those who can do without the sports channels it could provide millions of new customers if DISH dropped by several dollars the package prices and added HD. (see below)

Since I don't see any agreements allowing that to happen till more than one carrier drops sports channels unless they agree to being separate, then I think DISH (and I have always thought this) needs to have every channel in HD that is available in HD. So getting Disney channels all back to HD goes along with that thinking.

My daughter watches Disney channel ALL the time - I hope the HD versions come back soon. Sports and ESPN are non-issues to me but Disney, Disney XD, ABC Family, etc. are all big channels for our family and have been missed in proper HD.

Would like ESPNU in HD, would be nice as the kids still watch some of the Disney movies for them to be in HD would probably watch maybe a bit more of ABC Family of that was in HD

In this case, competition just drives up prices, as the bidding war (read: more money) for exclusive rights will now escalate.

EXACTLY. Everytime you read a sport is changing to a different network especially a new or newer one, hold on to your wallet.

My son watches a lot of the Disney channel as well but it will be years before he care about HD and my wife doesn't care as well. Movies and sports are the biggest need for HD in my opinion. Not sure why it's such a big deal to have Disney in HD honestly. I'd much rather have ESPNU in HD.
Well, I am often forced to watch with her - and although the Hopper's SD is not as bad as my old 722k's it is still not a joy to watch. There are also some shows on Disney XD that I enjoy (Avenger's Assemble and Ultimate Spiderman) that I would much rather watch in HD.

With what espn already gets and the increases they are wanting plus the increases that Fox wants for FS1 along with the video providers profit margins, in another year or two we will paying upwards of $10-$12 a month just for those 2 channels, and probably closer to $20 just for the Disney and Fox suites.

The consumers continue getting screwed more and more as they are now splitting up games and events to multiple channels, so those channels become temporary must haves. World series game 1 on Fox, game 2 on FS1, game 3 on FS2, or watch the 1st half of of monday night football on espn and the 2nd half on espn 2

Well, I am often forced to watch with her - and although the Hopper's SD is not as bad as my old 722k's it is still not a joy to watch. There are also some shows on Disney XD that I enjoy (Avenger's Assemble and Ultimate Spiderman) that I would much rather watch in HD.

That's a lame response....... Oh, not that you want them to be in HD, but that you won't admit you want to watch! :D

Nope that article was nothing more then a guy feeling like he had to write about something. It contained no facts or news other then what was said it in the past.

Best thing that could happen for Scott would be blackout for a few days.

Satguys clicks (money in) would rocket upward.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SatelliteGuys

I watch the shows with my son too and I still don't care because they are just cartoons. I wouldn't get anything more out of it because it's in HD.

I personally would love the ability to "opt out" of the ESPN channels. It would probably save me $20 a month or more for channels that I don't watch.

I'm all for a la carte tv viewing - and it eventually will happen. Especially now with people cutting the cord & streaming.

I personally would love the ability to "opt out" of the ESPN channels. It would probably save me $20 a month or more for channels that I don't watch. I'm all for a la carte tv viewing - and it eventually will happen. Especially now with people cutting the cord & streaming.

You do realize that if it went the way you want it to go that the channels that you only want to watch will most likely go up in cost. If some of the channels you want to keep are niche channels then they will likely go away or will be very expensive. Chances are you won't up saving as much as you think you will and you'll just pay more per channel than you are now.

I personally would love the ability to "opt out" of the ESPN channels. It would probably save me $20 a month or more for channels that I don't watch.

I'm all for a la carte tv viewing - and it eventually will happen. Especially now with people cutting the cord & streaming.

Even if they did offer a sports free package I can just about guarantee you they wouldn't offer it for $20 less unless they dropped a lot of non sports channels from it too. Cord cutting and and paying for different streaming options will be the only way you will save that much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)