Article on ESPN/Dish Upcoming Negotiations

Yeah we really need Google Fiber to go nation wide that would really put a hurt on all the TV Providers along with their net services as well. I would be all over it if we got it here you just can't beat what they have to offer and would push all the Providers to do a better job.

Ok,where will Google Fiber get content? Do you think the NFL,MLB,NHL,PGA,etc is just going to give their content away for free? Or Disney,ABC,AMC,FOX......... And if this content is internet linked,how long do you think it will take for internet access to skyrocket in price or at the very least be capped. Whatever the future route the entertainment/sports providers take there will be someone there to cash in on that route.

Nope it was cause NBC got the Sunday night game from ESPN thus forcing Disney to move Monday night game from ABC to ESPN.
No. NBC started Sunday Night Football a few years go. ABC had Monday night (long before...in the early 70's), and since moved to ESPN. Sorry, Teehar, just saw your post....but I think we're even;)

Last edited:
thats an old way of thinking about things..Netflix,Amazon,Hulu etc... sell shows..MLBtv is alacart (on the internet)..HBO to go will eventually be alacart..consumers soon won't be buying channels..the will buy the "bandwidth" and just purchase the shows that interest them

Why is that an old way of thinking. That's likely the way it will happen and I know people can watch their shows online. If you watch your shows online you are still spending money and a lot more per show. Watching show's online can be nice, I watched the first 2 seasons of The Walking Dead to get caught up before season 3 and it was awesome. What sucked is that I had to pay $1.99 for each episode.

If it went the way of a la carte and online viewing I would either be spending the same or more for less programming or I just wouldn't watch near as much. Not watching as much TV wouldn't be a bad thing though. Right now I'm able to watch whatever I want because I can, that's why I get the AT250 with multisports. If I had to pay for everything individually it would be too much of a hassle and I cut back on a lot of channels and miss a lot of shows.

I almost forgot about the biggest problem with online viewing, it's completely dependent on the quality of internet connection. I can't stand watching a movie or series when it just stops in the middle to buffer. In some cases it will keep playing but it lowers the picture quality. Sorry, but this is not how I want my main source of TV to be.

I would really like it if the SHOWS themselves would be available to purchase online like Hulu.com rather than have all the different channels. If you could buy the shows themselves ,( a season of each program for a price) there would be no real need for all those channels ,except for sports freaks and news/weather geeks. It's the content not the channels that people really care about. Give people their local channels and access to the shows via a hulu like interface in your receiver and I would be happy. Just like if ala cart was made available to the public, the amount of channels would go down to around 20 ,which is remarkably what most people watch anyway. The content would then be spread out over those 20 channels. Like it was back in the beginning of cable.

What people fail to realize is most online video is blocked by provider if you don't subscribe to there tv services. I have Charter and without having espnu on my subscription I can't watch it on ESPN's live feed same goes for ESPN3 it states need provider and when I put other provider it states wrong provider and blocks me. I am supposed to have dish installed on Sunday and only reason I switched was ESPNU and more sports for lower price. Still not a deal breaker since it has MLB MBA and NFL and fox sports is coming as well as CBS sports which I don't have now. Going to another internet provider is not an option since everything I have is wireless and data is unlimited with 30mb download. Netflix running most of time on 2 tvs and daughter has cell phone which she uses on my wifi. Dish stated 1.5 to 5mb with a cap so not an option.

There would be so many shows that would never get watched because people wouldn't take the effort to do it. some people may never even hear of certain shows anymore. At least with TV the way it is now I see shows on while channel surfing or advertised during a show. I randomly stop on certain shows all the time.

I suppose I could surf through shows online as well and get the same effect.

There would be so many shows that would never get watched because people wouldn't take the effort to do it. some people may never even hear of certain shows anymore. At least with TV the way it is now I see shows on while channel surfing or advertised during a show. I randomly stop on certain shows all the time.

I do the same thing you do... channel surf and catch shows that might interest me. Yes, you can do it online, but I'm not going to pay money for an show and then find out I don't like it.

I do the same thing you do... channel surf and catch shows that might interest me. Yes, you can do it online, but I'm not going to pay money for an show and then find out I don't like it.

As opposed to paying for tv service and not liking a channel or program :rolleyes:

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

As opposed to paying for tv service and not liking a channel or program :rolleyes:

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

But paying cents for those channels that occasionally still have good programming is better than paying a few bucks for just one show. I myself like having the ability to do both. There are still shows I enjoy watching on my iPad.

If ESPN and Dish do have a deal in place, it sure would be a nice gesture if they set up the HD feed of ESPN-U a bit early so we can see those first few weeks of games in HD. But if I'm not expecting anything prior to September 30.

Only same effect if you have enough "free views" to determine if you like it.

And there are some shows people watch and watch routinely they would NEVER pay individually for. A good example is my wife watched The Bachelorette this season. She knew it was trash, but it was brainless fun trash while she did her workouts. However, she would not have paid even 10 cents an episode to watch if it was a la carte.

We have a long way to go before we get there, but even when everything is on-line we may be surprised how similar things will be. There will be more al a carte choices, but I'd bet most will still probably be in some form of bronze/silver/gold type bundles.

But paying cents for those channels that occasionally still have good programming is better than paying a few bucks for just one show. I myself like having the ability to do both. There are still shows I enjoy watching on my iPad.
Yup. If I took all the money I'm paying for the channels I don't watch in a month, I might be able to watch 10-15 "ala carte" shows online. OK, so that's a week's worth of viewing, what do I do for the other three weeks? :p

3QI40Lt.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts