Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 12, 2011
Florida
I currently have two dish500's..

#1 110 & 119
#2 65.5

129 isn't an option for me!

I need to add 72.7 because dish is moving channels from 65.5 to 72.7.

Long story short Dish isn't going to help me with this . I'm on my own. If you would like to read entire back story you may do so at this URL: Technicians Refuse to Install Eastern Arc - DBSTalk.Com

My current dish pointing at 65.5 has a steady signal of 61.

I'm thinking I should first confirm I can pick up 72.7 by changing my current 65.5 dish to these settings.

Zip: 33305
Satellite: 72.7W NIMIQ 5
Elevation: 58.3°
Azimuth (true): 163.5°
Azimuth (magn.): 169.6°

Before doing so I'm going to mark my dish in it's current position so I can put it back easily.

Once I make those adjustments do I have to do anything to the receiver or just change the sat signal strength meter from 65.5 to 72.7? Do I need to do a check switch? I currently have a VIP722 and from menu if I press 611 I can see 72 as an option already.

Any particular transponder I should test on 72.7?

Thanks,
Kevin.

I thought on DBSTALK you had decided to go with comcast because DISH wouldn't change their policies so that they could install on your private use area.

Nope, I read the whole thread on DBSTalk and he wants to try and install it himself. To the OP, all I gotta say is good luck to you man. I know that dish has their own installation standards, but desperate times call for desperate measures. All you need are 2 DISH 500's, 2 DP Twin LNB's, a DPP 44 to connect all of that to your receivers and you're good to go. Hopefully, this project doesn't give you too much of a hard time! Any questions, feel free to ask. We're here to help you, not criticize you like that other fourm.

I had a problem with Dish setting up an EA dish for me, I used pointers found on this site to use a Dish 500 for 61.5 and 72.7 and the wing dish for 77. When Dish sent a tech to verify my setup (after many phone calls to Dish). The tech showed up, saw what I had done, stated it worked well enough to leave it as is, then put up the EA dish for me.

I figured we could help him over here. Since even the DIRT team over there was kicking him around and not helping. I personally would try skewing the dish about 75 degrees put the LNB on the left hole of the Y yoke (looking from behind) set elevation at about 58 and see if I could find 72.7. If that is hit then get another LNB & switch and get 61.5 and do the peak compromise. Then you would have 61.5, 72.7, 110 & 119. You would then get all your locals plus all the HD. I tried to give a bit of this over there but no one was having any of it. I was very disappointed w/ DIRT over there, it was like the E* guys that came out saw the set-up and ran away were some kind of GODS. DIRT there basically gave him the bird but not the one in the sky.:eek::D

Thanks guys!

I currently have a Dish 500 with a dual LNB set on 110 & 119 and a Dish 500 with a single LNB set to 61.5.

Here are the steps I think I should take to get what I need.

#1. Confirm I can pick up 72.7. I'm thinking the easiest way is to just take the current 61.5 dish and see if I can pick it up with that..

#2. Once I have confirmation I can pick up 72.7 I was going to use the Dish 500 with the Dual LNB and set that to pick up 61.5 & 72.7. Then I was going to take the Dish 500 with the single LNB and use that to pick up 119 for my Local HD. I'm not concerned with SD programing so I don't think I will be missing anything by not having 110?

If my game plan is sound this won't cost me a dime.

I just need some advise on the best possible way to complete steps #1 and #2.

I have received mixed information on step #1 already..

Some have told me to disconnect everything from my receiver, do a check switch, while everything is still disconnected re-point current 61.5 dish to 72.7 then reattach, turn receiver back on and do another check switch..

Others have said that isn't necessary just move your current 61.5 to 72.7 and use the receiver to fine tune.

Obviously I don't have any meters to connect directly to the dish to help me tweak the alignment. I am going to need my receiver to help me with this. I have a portable TV that I can set right out on the porch with me so I can see the signal strength meter while I'm making the adjustments.

I'm fully aware this isn't the ideal situation. Just trying to make due with what I have yet still maintain the best possible service I can.

Let me know what you think?

Thanks,
Kevin.

Raise the 61.5 dish about 5 degrees and move it right about 21. That should get you close. Then you should be able to peak and see if you are getting a good signal on it. Once you've done that then you can do the move the dish that is on 110/119 to East for 61.5/72.7 & the single LNB dish to 110. Have fun.

Thanks for the link with my local HD info ckhalil18. Someone else had informed me on another forum is was 119 I was looking for... Losing PBS is the least of my concerns ;)

Thanks whatchel1. That's pretty much what I was thinking as well. Just wanted some confirmation that is indeed what I had to do.

Can someone explain to me what a check switch does and when is it required? On my VIP722 if I go into the menu and press 611 I can see that it already has 72 and 77 listed.

I'm under the impression a check switch is really only required if your adding a dish to the system or if your moving a dish to a satellite the receiver isn't aware of?

I figured we could help him over here. Since even the DIRT team over there was kicking him around and not helping. I personally would try skewing the dish about 75 degrees put the LNB on the left hole of the Y yoke (looking from behind) set elevation at about 58 and see if I could find 72.7. If that is hit then get another LNB & switch and get 61.5 and do the peak compromise. Then you would have 61.5, 72.7, 110 & 119. You would then get all your locals plus all the HD. I tried to give a bit of this over there but no one was having any of it. I was very disappointed w/ DIRT over there, it was like the E* guys that came out saw the set-up and ran away were some kind of GODS. DIRT there basically gave him the bird but not the one in the sky.:eek::D

I guess my reading of English and yours differs. I saw the DIRT team trying to help, and even noted that Dish had sent out a total of 6 techs over time. They even suggested he might try a retailer because they might be more creative or some such. The OP didn't like the answers he got 'cause he wants what he wants, regardless of the installation rules that the Dish techs have to live by. What wasn't exactly said, and maybe should have been, is that if they had made a substandard install and things didn't work well, the phones at Dish would be ringing with the complaints.

This is the kind of install that either needs to be done as a self-install or by a non-Dish installer that isn't bound by the rules. Then either the OP or then non-Dish installer can handle their own problems with the install should they arise.

I guess my reading of English and yours differs. I saw the DIRT team trying to help, and even noted that Dish had sent out a total of 6 techs over time. They even suggested he might try a retailer because they might be more creative or some such. The OP didn't like the answers he got 'cause he wants what he wants, regardless of the installation rules that the Dish techs have to live by. What wasn't exactly said, and maybe should have been, is that if they had made a substandard install and things didn't work well, the phones at Dish would be ringing with the complaints.

This is the kind of install that either needs to be done as a self-install or by a non-Dish installer that isn't bound by the rules. Then either the OP or then non-Dish installer can handle their own problems with the install should they arise.

DIRT didn't send anyone out. All the calls were from OP. Then he was able to get TonyT to look at the account. TonyT then called the FSM and took the word of what he was told by him. That was the end of the help and Tony put a note on the account that no other DIRT member should have anything to do w/this install. That's the thumbnail view as I saw it.

Let's face it, regardless of how we 'read it', this is a sub or non standard install by Dish's rules that their installers have to follow. It is also the kind of install that would be potentially a big headache to support. And while I do empathize with the OP, I think he is asking for problems in the install. But if he does it himself, or pays someone not required to follow Dish's rules, then it is on them and not Dish for support, as it should be.

I've done some installs of other things in the past, and the ones that were always more trouble than they were worth, were the ones where we had to stretch a point to make the install work at all. From an installers point of view, that isn't worth it as we all know Dish (and direct too) will not pay the installer if the thing doesn't work right after all is said and done.

Thanks for the link with my local HD info ckhalil18. Someone else had informed me on another forum is was 119 I was looking for... Losing PBS is the least of my concerns ;)

Thanks whatchel1. That's pretty much what I was thinking as well. Just wanted some confirmation that is indeed what I had to do.

Can someone explain to me what a check switch does and when is it required? On my VIP722 if I go into the menu and press 611 I can see that it already has 72 and 77 listed.

I'm under the impression a check switch is really only required if your adding a dish to the system or if your moving a dish to a satellite the receiver isn't aware of?

Anytime you add a satellite , delete one, or change to another arc satellite like western 110/119/129 to eastern arc satellites 77/72.7/61.5 , you MUST Run a check switch or you will not be able to even see the satellites in your matrix. This means if you don't run the check switch , you won't see any difference in your setup no matter where you aim the dish towards.

Hit Menu
System Setup #6
Installation # 1
Point DISH #1
Then Test

Once you are done and it shows the satellites in your matrix , you hit save and then cancel out and let it download the guide or no channels with any guide data . You MUST let it down load the new guide, or you will have no channels in your guide to look at, once you get done running your check switch.

After reading through this thread and its matching one on DBStalk, I figured I'd thow my .02 in.

Yes, the install is non-standard, but was working fine before the migration. A full EA dish is larger and heavier and may tip on one of those mounts
You have been screwed over by at least 2 incompetent subs and possibly an incompetent FSM
The DIRT guys are limited by what they are being told by the FSM, whether they believe him or not.
This is a migration, not a new install. They could have put up a 72 dish to test in 15 min.

There was way too much emphasis on passing QAS in the other thread. Low signal is better than no signal. The FSM could have easily informed the QAS about the situation and it wouldn't be inspected at all. This job should have been about getting you signal not making it pretty. A experienced FSM and informed QAS would know this.
You don't have to let a QAS in to check signal strength.

If your dishpointer photo is correct, you have line of sight to 61.5 72 and 77
Re-pointing your 61.5 to 72 is the easiest way to confirm, but will take some patience.
DON'T unhook everything and blank out the checkswitch screen. Re-aim using your best guess then run a checkswitch. It usually won't show signal level for a particular sat on screen unless it is picking up enough signal from that sat to register in the checkswitch screen
If you get 72 to show in the checkswitch screen, (may take a few attempts) go back to the signal strength screen and select sat 72 and trans 19 to fine tune

Thanks you all for the information.. Very helpful..

I actually went out and tried my first attempt today. Within 2 minutes I was showing 72.7 in the 20's and a few minutes later got it up into the 40's on the signal strength meter. I then realized this was on transponder 1 so I adjusted the transponders to 15, 17, 19 and 21 and I was getting nothing.. I immediately thought OK I must be doing something wrong so I just put it back to 61.5. Actually achieved a better signal on 61.5 than I originally had ;)

It appears the step I missed was after I picked up 72.7 I never did a check switch and I'm guessing that is why I'm getting nothing on those transponders.

I will try again tomorrow..

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
Kevin.

Back in March I successfully accomplished exactly what you are trying to do with the dish 500 reaimed for 61.5/72.7. The explanation for what I did is contained in post #'s 15 and 22 of the thread named " Dish told me to switch to 77-which transponder?" started by "berthher". Check out that thread from March 2011 and I think you will find some useful information.

First I would like to say Thank You, Thank You, Thank You to all those who took the time to assist me with this.. Greatly appreciated.

It's unfortunate Dish wouldn't do this for me and I had to resort to doing it myself but I am greatly appreciative.

I was able to move my 61.5 dish to 72.7 and get the same signal strength of (61-62) I used to get on 61.5 that has worked like a charm for 2+ years ;)

As a matter of fact seeing as 72.7's elevation is higher than 61.5 I had to lower the dish because the roof of the balcony was blocking signal from hitting dish at the correct angle. By lower the dish I improved signal quality on my 110 & 119 as well. See attached before and after pics. You will notice in my old setup (done by dish) the arm of the 61.5 was in front of the 110 & 119 dish. Not anymore :)

110 signal was 75 and is now 80. 119 signal was 69 and is now 78.

So as I look at things I'm actually in a much better situation overall that I was previously.

Quick question. I was doing some research last night and it appears almost all channels of any importance are already on 72.7.

I was thinking about not bothering with trying to even get both 61.5 & 72.7 with the dual LNB dish. I'm just going to leave everything as is.. Dish500 Dual LNB getting 110&119 and Dish500 single LNB getting 72.7. I only have the basic package from Dish $49.99 per month.

Are there any worthwhile channels anyone can think of that I'm missing that I'm not aware of yet?

My locals work just fine, OTA and Dish, I get the major networks CNN, BRAVO, LIFETIME, HISTORY, DISC, TLC, MSNBC, SPIKE, TNT, AMC, A&E, FOOD, USA, CNBC, TWC, TRV, CMT, CMDY.. I think that pretty much covers all the major networks I'm paying for?

Also does anyone have any idea why 61.5 and 72.7 are labeled West? Notice in the attached picture under the signal strength.

Thanks again Everyone!
Kevin.

--
Kevin dish8.jpgdish9.jpgdish7.jpgdish10.jpg

Also does anyone have any idea why 61.5 and 72.7 are labeled West? Notice in the attached picture under the signal strength.

That is because both satellites are in orbit in the western hemisphere (i.e. 61.5 and 72.7 degrees west of the greenwich meridian).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)