Astros Sold for $680 million. Press conference sheduled for this afternoon at 2 PM (3 PM Eastern)

Will94

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
USA
Ultimate Astros » Astros plan to hold news conference Monday to announce sale of team
The Astros plan to hold a press conference at 2 p.m. Monday to announce the transfer of ownership from Drayton McLane to a group led by Jim Crane pending approval from Major League Baseball, a person with knowledge of the situation said on Sunday.
This press conference will come three days short of six months after McLane and investment banker Steve Greenberg gathered the news media at Minute Maid Park to announce the team was for sale and projected a 6-12 month process.
I am happy to see Drayton move on, but we have a terrible roster, high payroll, and no farm system. Getting Carlos Lee's $19 million off of the payroll after 2012 will help some. That fat b@stard is hitting .243 with four homeruns. $19 million doesn't buy what it used to.
:(

That's it? They are only worth 2/3 of a billion?
I am sure that they aren't worth anywhere near that, but Crane had tried and failed to buy a few other teams. Drayton knew he had a motivated seller and got top dollar.

This is a *very* expensive example of a rich guy (Crane) and his toy (the Astros). It's his equivalent of my guitar collection (which is a whopping five).

This is a *very* expensive example of a rich guy (Crane) and his toy (the Astros). It's his equivalent of my guitar collection (which is a whopping five).

Exactly. The smart money got out of baseball years ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)