AT 250 vs AEP

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
I know at one point it was cheaper if you had all 4 premiums to get the AEP, but just looking at it now, AT250 + 4 premiums is the same as the AEP. Just wondering if I am missing something? Im keeping 4 premiums most of the time now, so need to pick the better option. If there is no benefit to the AEP, I dont really see a reason in even having the package.

AT250 $74.99 + $45 premiums
AEP $119.99

Thanks.

I guess that's right for new or plan modification subs. IIRC Dish gave AEP subscribers a $10/24 credit when they set the new prices. I had it at the time but changed down to AT200 + 4 prems.

At the last increases DISH effectively did away with any discount for AEP. If you're thinking that package isn't needed anymore.....
?you would be right... :D

Gotcha. Just wanted to make sure I wasnt skipping over anything, but when I compared the two plans at mydish.com there price was the same. Just wanted sure if AEP came with any other channels, vs AT250 and all 4 premiums.

I guess Ill just keep the 250 and premiums, and get the premiums for 50% off each time I need to cancel them ;)

I know at one point it was cheaper if you had all 4 premiums to get the AEP, but just looking at it now, AT250 + 4 premiums is the same as the AEP. Just wondering if I am missing something? Im keeping 4 premiums most of the time now, so need to pick the better option. If there is no benefit to the AEP, I dont really see a reason in even having the package.

AT250 $74.99 + $45 premiums
AEP $119.99

Thanks.

I was wondering the same thing. They did give me the $10 promo thing for being a new customer. So I think I'll keep AEP for a bit. That was a nice thing to do giving the $10 AEP package credit.

The big difference IMHO is the wording 'Americas 'EVERYTHING' Plan' vs AT250+4 locals. Right now they are the same. And when I changed to the Hopper they switched me to AT250 without my permission. I called back and they put me back on AEP.

It's the 'Everything' that makes the difference. What if there are 10 other channels added in 5 months. With AT250 those might not be in the 250 pack and you'd have to pay more. With Everything I'd just call them and pitch a bitch and make them give me them for free.

Also premiums these days seem to be running half off quite often, would save a bit that way I would think to instead of going AEP

Yeah, everytime I go to drop one, they offer it 50% for 6 months. In some weird way, with the way my 12 month rebates are working, it cost the same with all 4, as opposed to dropping one. Same with with going from AT250 to AT200.

For instance, if I go from AT250 to AT200, I lose a $15x12 months credit.

If I go from 4 premiums to 3, my bill would drop $10, but I lose a $10x18 months courtesy credit.

Also premiums these days seem to be running half off quite often, would save a bit that way I would think to instead of going AEP

Same either way, DISH changes your package during the promo to Top250.

The big difference IMHO is the wording 'Americas 'EVERYTHING' Plan' vs AT250+4 locals. Right now they are the same. And when I changed to the Hopper they switched me to AT250 without my permission. I called back and they put me back on AEP.

It's the 'Everything' that makes the difference. What if there are 10 other channels added in 5 months. With AT250 those might not be in the 250 pack and you'd have to pay more. With Everything I'd just call them and pitch a bitch and make them give me them for free.

Not the way it works or ever has. First, AEP is the Top250 and always has been. It then adds the four premiums not locals. And when they changed you to the Top250 you should have stayed. I know exactly why they did it, they were giving you HBO for free, for 3 months, and the way they do it is to change it to the Top250, they would have switched you back at the end of the promo. I believe that to be the case because that's the question my neighbor asked me when his was changed to the Top250 and four premiums after getting the Hopper installed.
There is as close to zero as possible a chance as there can be any package channel would be added that isn't in the Top250 and getting the four premiums. There never has been. The only thing you did get at one time was a reduction in fees which has long been gone.

And your logic makes no sense to me. If as you say they were to ever add channels to the AEP and not be available in the Top250 or part of the Premiums, what exactly would there be to "pitch a bitch" about? If you have AEP at that point, you will have the channels. If you have the Top250 and want those channels you would get AEP. And anything added to the Top250 obviously would be in AEP. You are putting way too much into the "Everything" label. Ignore it we have for years!

With all that said, I have to think there will be some change coming at some point. Either they are going to drop AEP, or include something like the sports pack or BB package, for less than getting them outside AEP. Or I suppose some reduction in a fee. (Just examples and just my thought)

Not the way it works or ever has. First, AEP is the Top250 and always has been. It then adds the four premiums not locals. And when they changed you to the Top250 you should have stayed. I know exactly why they did it, they were giving you HBO for free, for 3 months, and the way they do it is to change it to the Top250, they would have switched you back at the end of the promo. I believe that to be the case because that's the question my neighbor asked me when his was changed to the Top250 and four premiums after getting the Hopper installed.
There is as close to zero as possible a chance as there can be any package channel would be added that isn't in the Top250 and getting the four premiums. There never has been. The only thing you did get at one time was a reduction in fees which has long been gone.

And your logic makes no sense to me. If as you say they were to ever add channels to the AEP and not be available in the Top250 or part of the Premiums, what exactly would there be to "pitch a bitch" about? If you have AEP at that point, you will have the channels. If you have the Top250 and want those channels you would get AEP. And anything added to the Top250 obviously would be in AEP. You are putting way too much into the "Everything" label. Ignore it we have for years!

With all that said, I have to think there will be some change coming at some point. Either they are going to drop AEP, or include something like the sports pack or BB package, for less than getting them outside AEP. Or I suppose some reduction in a fee. (Just examples and just my thought)

That would actually be nice to add the BB channels to AEP, I might sub if it was less than a $10 increase. There has to be some benefit to going to the package, if not you do not need it because it costs exactly the same as 250 with the addons.

Back in the day you could get all the premium channels and all you had no dvr fees.That was when DISH had a dvr fee PER Dvr receiver. I had 3 dvrs and NO dvr fees and all that programming to watch too. A GREAT value for it's time. It really paid to upgrade to AEP and you got more channels. I think that if they included the BlockBuster channels with AEP with no increase in price, would be a great way to add value and may , just may make some people upgrade to AEP. THey could still offer BB by itself ala cart for $10.00 also. That way you would still make the subs happy who want lesser programming packs and BB too.

BB seems a natural to me to be in the AEP that's why I mentioned it, even if the price rose by $4 or $5 dollars for the AEP package, and as you say still have the $10 add on for others. I don't know if DISH has that kind of latitude and still actually can make any money or not but it seems logical.
In fact, what if you had AEP and most add ons cost less for you? Even in some cases just a $1 or $2 savings. Again, just don't know if that makes sense financially or not.

BB seems a natural to me to be in the AEP that's why I mentioned it, even if the price rose by $4 or $5 dollars for the AEP package, and as you say still have the $10 add on for others. I don't know if DISH has that kind of latitude and still actually can make any money or not but it seems logical.
In fact, what if you had AEP and most add ons cost less for you? Even in some cases just a $1 or $2 savings. Again, just don't know if that makes sense financially or not.

Though if Dish keep offering it at half off, may be better to keep it out of AEP :)

I was thinking about that, could reduce the package by how much the 1/2 would be to what you are paying in AEP. Just for an example, say BB cost $5 in AEP, and there was a 1/2 off the $10 price for others. In that case nothing needs to be done. If say the sports package cost $9 in AEP and there was half off the $11 price. You would get $3.50 off......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)