At $399, Would you buy a Dish DVR 522???

I think the $399 price is too high. You have to also consider the DVOD fee if you not an AE (America's Everything) customer.

Another big worry is reliability. DISH is not known for putting out bug free software on their new receivers.

No. Like Bill R said, with the dvr fee it is not worth it. It would of been worth it if they did not have the dvr fee.

But if my 501 dies, I might have a different answer.

Considering they are charging over $500 for a 721, then this is a good price for the 522.

Yes the fee does take it down a notch, however, its a wash if you are replacing a second receiver with it.

If they do a $149 deal with a 1 or 2 year commitment, I'd do it. With D* Tivos going for as low as $49.00, the $399 tag is too high. Why compare an overpriced 721 to this? Compare the price to the competition, and it doesn't look like that great of a deal.

A 508 and now the 510 used to be 199.00 from Dish if you upgraded to it on their website. Now if you added two of them it would be 398.00. So you are paying a 1.00 more to have a dvr that does only 80 hours of recording time vs two 508s or two 510s which do 120 hrs and 200 hrs respectively. So you are paying a 1.00 more to record with less recording capacity. But of course you are eliminating a additional receiver fee , but you are adding dvr fees if you don't sub to AEP. I don't know ,I think they should have a bigger hard drive in order to allow two people to do recording and share a common hard drive.

But if you want the latest dvr and you don't mind trading the older pvrs in to Dish Depot.com you can trade up for a newer receiver that is pretty cool. Considering that no more 721s will be made soon, and they aren't exactly rushing the software updates to fix the bugs, it might make sense to upgrade to a newer two tuner dvr that can go to two different tvs at the same time.

Incidently I e-mailed Mark at Dishdepot.com and he responded with he doesn't know what the trade in will be for the 721 and 508 yet. He might want to get moving on that one since it is less than a month till the newer receivers are released.

I think a lot of people on these web boards will want to trade up for a 522 receiver. I love the latest sat receivers and I think these will have dish home and other basic features that even a 301 receiver has , without the long wait of bug fixes and software updates that never come :like the 721.

I would buy the 522 in a second IF it didn't have the DVOD fee. With it, I will never buy one (unless they make a $99 good customer deal!).

It is worth it to me since I will use the 522 to replace 2 old STB's, the $4.98 DVR fee is a wash for me. Now if E* will do some current customer upgrade specials for the 522, this will be an even better deal.

$399 is pretty steep considering the competition's pricing of 2 tuner DVRs. The DVOD fee makes it even less attractive. While I have been anticipating the release of this receiver, I was hoping to see it around the $299 range. I could justify the price of the DVOD fee easier at $299rather at $399. Just keeping the receiver for two years and buying it at $399 would cost a total of $520. Isn't that the price of what a new 721 would cost? Did dish learn anything by selling receivers for too much?

Considering a DirecTivo less than $200 at a lot of places, and it's not unusual to see them at $99 and $49 price points, yeah, it's too much. Way too much. A new customer should be able to get the single tuner PVR/DVR for next to nothing, and a two tuner for about $100. Most people buy the Dish PVRs based on price. For the most part they are cheaper than Tivo, at least in the retail brick and morter channel. But that's changing, so Dish is going to need to look at prices again.

I expected it to be $399 so there is no surprise there. I figure I could sell two used DVR's and come close if not enough to having what I need to get a new 522 that has two tuners. I wonder how much a used 721 would go for?

I would pay the $399 if I liked the interface better than the 721, other than that I may have to have it in addition to the 721.

That is giving me resistance on this receiver but seeing that I do not have to pay the additional outlet fee that is helping to make up for it plus considering that I have AEP package anyways it would actually not be charged anyhow.

People with the AEP package can actualy save $4.99 per month if they use the 522 to replace 2 receivers. The 522 is worth more then a D*Tivo, the D*Tivo with the same size hard drive has a msrp about the same as the 522, except the D*Tivo does not have 2-outputs like the 522, it can only replace 1 receiver not 2 like the 522 can, thus eliminateing a extra receiver fee. Just like the 100hr D*Tivo will likely be discounted, so will the 522. I would not be suprised to see the 522 being offered to new subs for either Free with a 2 year comitment ( same as 510 with 301 deal ) or a $100 upgrade over the 510 deal. I suspect we will see a current sub upgrade promotion for around $299.

at this point, I'm leaning toward a 522 instead of a 721, just due to (even at MSRP) less cost.

I liked what I saw in the screenshots Scott posted.

Now, if they would just get it into the Store :).

Kagato said:
Considering a DirecTivo less than $200 at a lot of places, and it's not unusual to see them at $99 and $49 price points, yeah, it's too much. Way too much. A new customer should be able to get the single tuner PVR/DVR for next to nothing, and a two tuner for about $100. Most people buy the Dish PVRs based on price. For the most part they are cheaper than Tivo, at least in the retail brick and morter channel. But that's changing, so Dish is going to need to look at prices again.

DirecTivo's are $50 after rebate at Circuit City. $100 is their normal price. For a Two-Tuner DVR, $400 just won't be competitive.

No, I'd never buy one.

DirecTivo's are $50 after rebate at Circuit City. $100 is their normal price. For a Two-Tuner DVR, $400 just won't be competitive.

Can you give more detail on that rebate (I can't find a current one that includes the model HDVR2 CircuitCity is selling) Thanx in advance!

Well the 522 has more recording time than a directivo and it has the capacity to go to two different tvs or be a dual tuner , either one. This is cost effective and does away with the extra receiver fee. Of course you could buy what 4 directivos for the same price, but you would pay extra receiver fees 3@4.99=14.97.

MikeD-C05 said:
Well the 522 has more recording time than a directivo and it has the capacity to go to two different tvs or be a dual tuner , either one. This is cost effective and does away with the extra receiver fee. Of course you could buy what 4 directivos for the same price, but you would pay extra receiver fees 3@4.99=14.97.

Why would I buy 4 two tuner PVR's? Am I really going to watch 4 shows simultaneously or need to record 8 at once? I don't store whole seasons on my hard drive. Also, at least in my house when I tried it for the super bowl last year, sending an analog signal out to a not very close TV resulted in significant picture degradation. It was still watchable, but it was not even close to the picture on the TV that was close to the receiver. This was via the Coax out on my 721. My house was prewired with quad-shielded RG6, and admittedly the run was probably a good 75 feet. Finally, I think the Tivos are upgradeable, but I might be wrong.

I have a 721 and the 6000 from the $149 deal. That should hold me until either Charlie puts a 921 at a reasonable price (i.e. not $1200, not even $800), DirecTV offers a similar product on one of their specials, or cable offers a two tuner HDPVR. I'm done buying Charlies latest and greatest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)