AT-9 question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hoss

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Glendale, AZ
Ok, this might be a strange question but here it goes. Is it somehow possible to disable reception of the 99 and 103 satellites on the AT-9 (at least for now)? I had the new dish installed recently, but I then found out that diplexers do not work with the new dish. I have an OTA antenna on the roof and I am able to easily pick up all of the locals. There are six or seven stations in Phoenix that have HD programming while Directv only has four. With this new dish, I am now no longer able to view the OTA stations and there is no way that I can run another coax into the house. Do I have any options or am I out of luck with the OTA antenna?

Try a diplexer, it will remove most, if not all the interfering signals from the LNB in the UHF TV range. If you can see the separate Ka feeds either side of main 101Ku feed through the radome you could try covering them with self adhesive metallic tape and that would kill them off. Be careful not to damage the plastic radome over the feeds or to cover the 101 Ku feed.
Bob

There is just no way to run two additional lines from the exterior of the house to where I need the lines positioned. I guess it could be done, but I would end up demolishing the interior of the house.

Hoss said:
There is just no way to run two additional lines from the exterior of the house to where I need the lines positioned. I guess it could be done, but I would end up demolishing the interior of the house.

A 3/4" hole in the wall will demolish your house?

raoul5788 said:
A 3/4" hole in the wall will demolish your house?

I think he is the one who has to make 6 runs, or was that the other guy...

Edit: I just checked, nm, guess it was another user who had a similar situation...

Last edited:
little dish guy said:
Try a diplexer, it will remove most, if not all the interfering signals from the LNB in the UHF TV range. If you can see the separate Ka feeds either side of main 101Ku feed through the radome you could try covering them with self adhesive metallic tape and that would kill them off. Be careful not to damage the plastic radome over the feeds or to cover the 101 Ku feed.
Bob

wtf??

Indoor Amplified OTA Antenna

Hoss said:
Ok, this might be a strange question but here it goes. Is it somehow possible to disable reception of the 99 and 103 satellites on the AT-9 (at least for now)? I had the new dish installed recently, but I then found out that diplexers do not work with the new dish. I have an OTA antenna on the roof and I am able to easily pick up all of the locals. There are six or seven stations in Phoenix that have HD programming while Directv only has four. With this new dish, I am now no longer able to view the OTA stations and there is no way that I can run another coax into the house. Do I have any options or am I out of luck with the OTA antenna?

If you are getting all of your locals with your OTA antenna mounted on the roof, there might be a chance you could get your OTA local channels with a amplified indoor antenna. That is how I'm getting all my local channels in HD right now. I would suggest you go to Best Buy or Circuit City and purchase a indoor amplified and keep the receipt. Try it out and if works out great, if not return it for your money back. I'm also an installer and have told many of my customer that there is no guarantee in getting local channels due all the variables involved (mountains, builds, distance from television tower, etc.). Of couse you would have to buy an indoor antenna for each TV that your trying to pick up your locals on too. I would just purchase one and see how that goes. You might get lucky. I also have the AT-9 dish and H20 receiver and connected my indoor antenna directly to the receiver with NO diplexers and it works great!

Thanks for the replies guys. I may try an indoor antenna and, if that doesn't work, I guess I will have to live without the WB, UPN, and PBS HD programming. Does anyone know if Directv will eventually be adding some of these networks - in addition to the four that they now offer?

No need to mess with your dish setup, in Glendale you should be fine with a small indoor antenna like a silver sensor.

little dish guy said:
Grydlok, Wtf on your wtf?
Hoss, You could use aluminum foil but you would need something to stick it down without damaging the radome.
Bob
Stick the foil WHERE? on the stacked LNB

Over the feed horn openings for the 99 and 103 Ka satellites. The man wanted to eliminate the Ka signals from clogging his diplexed OTA so if you cover the little feed openings for Ka only it will leave you with a mild noise floor in the UHF off air TV band which the diplexer should take care of. He sounded desperate, this would be for the desperate.
Bob

grydlok said:
Stick the foil WHERE? on the stacked LNB

little dish guy said:
Over the feed horn openings for the 99 and 103 Ka satellites. The man wanted to eliminate the Ka signals from clogging his diplexed OTA so if you cover the little feed openings for Ka only it will leave you with a mild noise floor in the UHF off air TV band which the diplexer should take care of. He sounded desperate, this would be for the desperate.
Bob
I take it you never took it LNB apart.

Silly or not it will address the man’s problem of HD locals clogging the OTA frequencies. If you simply diplex OTA there may still be residual Ka transponders that the diplexer cannot filter out. Some diplexers are better than others. Got a better idea?
Bob
grydlok said:
I have also. That entire idea is silly.

little dish guy said:
Silly or not it will address the man’s problem of HD locals clogging the OTA frequencies. If you simply diplex OTA there may still be residual Ka transponders that the diplexer cannot filter out. Some diplexers are better than others. Got a better idea?
Bob

That's a theory.
What will work if he runs 4 lines from the KAKU dish in 4X8 multiswitch. Dilpex the ota after the switch for the line runing to hd. A 4X8 will not allow the KA signal to pass at all.

Hey guys, thanks again for all suggestions. I was a bit bummed to find out that I would no longer receive four locals that offered HD thanks to this new dish. Channel 3 in Phoenix shows a number of Diamondback baseball games in HD and that was the one station I really did not want to lose. I will have to consider some of the soutions you guys came up with.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)