At my wit's end

  • DIRECTV'S SATELLITE D11 at 99 DEGREES IS COMING BACK TO LIFE!

    After 24 hours of being down the DIRECTV 11 Satellite is beginning to show signs of life again! Looks like this ordeal will soon be over! DIRECTV thanks you for your patience!!

    For more details and updates as they happen from our CUTTING EDGE team please CLICK HERE

    CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ACDon

New Member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2004
1
0
Orlando, FL
Good morning. This is my first time on this BB, so please forgive me if I break any ettiquette rules.

I have a brand new beautiful 65" Hitachi HDTV. I want to get the best possible service and channel options for it, so I dropped cable and tried to get Dish. Dish never showed up after three appointments. I then called DirectTV and they were out right away. No hassles.

Well. The first month or two went fine, but as soon as summer hit - all he!! broke loose.

First I guess I should say that I have a Samsung receiver in the living room and two Phillips receivers (one in each main bedroom). This is my third receiver in my living room. I don't know what kind of dish it is exactly, but its says KTI on it.

As soon as the day starts to get hot (we live in Orlando), nearly 90% of the channels will not come in. Local channels are not affected. The two bedrooms come in fine. The sky is clear and no storms or smoke are in the area.

I have called and called and called DTV and a service rep has been out several times (after I insisted), but we have seen no improvement at all.

I really don't want to go back to Time Warner Cable, but at least I could watch a whole episode of Monster Garage without loosing the signal!

Please. I am desperate. Does anyone have a suggestion or help for me?
 
You might have a Dish alignment problem. or in other words you Dish is looking exactly where is should at the satellites in the sky. but because your other rooms work fine, at least I think that is what you are saying, The dish couldn't be it.
 
There could be many possibiliies...
May be the multi-switch, in the LNB?
Cable? did you run it? is it RG6
fittings? what type do you have? crimp style or compression?
Is your line grounded?
 
I was thinking about Direct TV (as I live in Orlando and have Brighthouse as well)....until I saw a side by side (2 exact same TVs, one with Cable and one with Direct TV)........not much difference.....even if they say 100% digital on Sat TV........really not enough of a pic quality difference to make me switch

And the folks I talked to said the weather (esp in the Summer) will have huge impact on the Direct TV reception

Do you self a favor and go back to cable......Many more HD channels, no loss of signals.....much better overall product (at least the Brighthouse offers here in Orlando) !! Free HD box is a BIG BIG plus with cable.
 
steaker said:
I was thinking about Direct TV (as I live in Orlando and have Brighthouse as well)....until I saw a side by side (2 exact same TVs, one with Cable and one with Direct TV)........not much difference.....even if they say 100% digital on Sat TV........really not enough of a pic quality difference to make me switch

And the folks I talked to said the weather (esp in the Summer) will have huge impact on the Direct TV reception

Do you self a favor and go back to cable......Many more HD channels, no loss of signals.....much better overall product (at least the Brighthouse offers here in Orlando) !! Free HD box is a BIG BIG plus with cable.

This post brought to you by Brighthouse... ;)
 
steaker said:
I was thinking about Direct TV (as I live in Orlando and have Brighthouse as well)....until I saw a side by side (2 exact same TVs, one with Cable and one with Direct TV)........not much difference.....even if they say 100% digital on Sat TV........really not enough of a pic quality difference to make me switch

And the folks I talked to said the weather (esp in the Summer) will have huge impact on the Direct TV reception

Do you self a favor and go back to cable......Many more HD channels, no loss of signals.....much better overall product (at least the Brighthouse offers here in Orlando) !! Free HD box is a BIG BIG plus with cable.

This is too funny. I live in Orlando, and a few days ago we had a huge storm. My Directv feed came back right after the worst of the storm. My neighbor has Brighthouse, his cable was out for 3 days.

I think I'll keep my Directv.
 
Everyone I know with Sat TV loses pictures EVERY SINGLE TIME it rains (and thats every day here in Orlando).

I'll stick with a system that I can watch during the rainy season. But the bright side is, those with Sat TV can bond with their families every day when the signal goes out.......................huh, maybe that is a good thing for families to spend more time together WITHOUT the TV............
 
steaker said:
Everyone I know with Sat TV loses pictures EVERY SINGLE TIME it rains (and thats every day here in Orlando).

I'll stick with a system that I can watch during the rainy season. But the bright side is, those with Sat TV can bond with their families every day when the signal goes out.......................huh, maybe that is a good thing for families to spend more time together WITHOUT the TV............


You obviously don't have Directv, my signal does not go out every time it rains. Only the heaviest rains will affect the signal. I do live in Orlando, so you do not know what you're talking about.
 
And the "Heaviest" rain seems to happen every day from June to September..........NEVER, EVER lost cable, even in the "Heaviest" of rain.........

Just confirming the topic starters (ACDon) problems with Direct TV are not isolated issues.........look at the these topics on this board..........nothing but problems with hardware, signal strength, installations, customer service, PQ, firmware, billing, ........yadda, yadda, yadda.
 
Well we never, ever lose our signal when some idiot digs up a cable with a backhoe either, considering how often this happens (about as frequent as rain) I'd say we are even. I have had very poor PQ from cable after rain (when it leaks into the lines) but this was with TCI more than 7 years ago.

Although, I do have a cable modem ... I lose connectivity to the network about once a month and it seems to be for more than and hour at a time and usually while I am leading a poker tourney on the Internet.

Anyway you look at it, the worst PQ on Satellite is better then the best PQ on cable. The rest of what you addressed (problems with hardware, signal strength, installations, customer service, firmware, billing, ........yadda, yadda, yadda.) occur in less than 1% of the customer base. I personally have never experienced these with D* only with E* ....
 
steaker said:
And the "Heaviest" rain seems to happen every day from June to September..........NEVER, EVER lost cable, even in the "Heaviest" of rain.........

Just confirming the topic starters (ACDon) problems with Direct TV are not isolated issues.........look at the these topics on this board..........nothing but problems with hardware, signal strength, installations, customer service, PQ, firmware, billing, ........yadda, yadda, yadda.


Then you should know that the "heaviest" rains don't last long and are widely scattered. This is normal in Florida.

And those FREE local channels on cable used to cost me $15. They also don't tell you that you must rent each box and each remote. Cable is a big rip-off.
 
Guys Guys Guys

What's to argue?

Cable doesn't have NFL Sunday Ticket.

I live in Texas and I wouldn't be able to see Tricky Ricky run for 1800 yds. Or Brian Griese look like a High School Freshman Playing QB if I didn't have Directv.

Go Dolphins

SS
 
Lets see, I pay $48 a month for cable (all the standard channels that Direct TV gets ~ 125) PLUS HD channels FOX, TNT, ALL Locals, PBS....etc PLUS HBO AND Showtime (WITH HD channels - with a good current promotion), plus many many on-demand channels.....on 4 TVs.

Please price out a similar package on Direct TV !!!.........................................................................

Nuff said......

I rest my case and will not be responding to this jibberish anymore..................Its raining and I got TV to watch......you Direct TVers will be spending your time on this forum (since your signal is out yet again !!!)
 
steaker said:
Lets see, I pay $48 a month for cable (all the standard channels that Direct TV gets ~ 125) PLUS HD channels FOX, TNT, ALL Locals, PBS....etc PLUS HBO AND Showtime (WITH HD channels - with a good current promotion), plus many many on-demand channels.....on 4 TVs.

Please price out a similar package on Direct TV !!!.........................................................................

Nuff said......

I rest my case and will not be responding to this jibberish anymore..................Its raining and I got TV to watch......you Direct TVers will be spending your time on this forum (since your signal is out yet again !!!)

Gonna take your toys and tell mommy too? :river
 
steaker said:
Lets see, I pay $48 a month for cable (all the standard channels that Direct TV gets ~ 125) PLUS HD channels FOX, TNT, ALL Locals, PBS....etc PLUS HBO AND Showtime (WITH HD channels - with a good current promotion), plus many many on-demand channels.....on 4 TVs.

Please price out a similar package on Direct TV !!!.........................................................................

Nuff said......

I rest my case and will not be responding to this jibberish anymore..................Its raining and I got TV to watch......you Direct TVers will be spending your time on this forum (since your signal is out yet again !!!)

Sounds like an introductory price. Wait until they charge you full price. I guess I'll go back and watch FoxSports Florida. Wait, you don't get that channel.

HDTV local channels, anyone can get them for free with an antenna in Florida.

No rain on the radar here. What part of Orlando do you live in?
 
steaker said:
Lets see, I pay $48 a month for cable (all the standard channels that Direct TV gets ~ 125) PLUS HD channels FOX, TNT, ALL Locals, PBS....etc PLUS HBO AND Showtime (WITH HD channels - with a good current promotion), plus many many on-demand channels.....on 4 TVs.

Please price out a similar package on Direct TV !!!.........................................................................

Nuff said......

I rest my case and will not be responding to this jibberish anymore..................Its raining and I got TV to watch......you Direct TVers will be spending your time on this forum (since your signal is out yet again !!!)
Yup Definitely a promo. I can get that though Comcast if I only want to see 225 lines of resolution on my screen, it's good for 6 months too. I like my 400 lines of ALL DIGITAL programming on my 210 channels for 93.00/mo.

The only reason we cannot price out a comparable package at DirecTV because cable does not compare.

Is this not SatelliteGuys.us? I didn't see and cablesucks.us when I came to the site ... I am pretty sure this is the correct spot. Man I hate flaming people but take your stinking trolling elsewhere!

Thank the Lord My signal loss issues do not equate to your mental capacity issues ... I'd never watch TV, I think you are watching too much.
 
Status
Please reply by conversation.
***

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)