AT&T Broadband

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

red hazard

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
St Louis Metro East (Illinois)
I live about 4 miles from the nearest town's DCO and cannot get DSL. A few days ago I noticed that AT&T installed another shelter (probably a VRAD) at the entrance to my subdivision and the labels on it indicated that fiber optic cables had been installed/buried. This new smaller shelter is about 18"DX40"WX40"H. They also had a pilot plastic line running along the telephone poles toward town so I assume that part of the cable run into town will be aerial.

I surmise that this is part of their Project Lightspeed initiative and that U-Verse will be offered soon. Is that a fairly accurate postulation? I live about 1500 cable feet from the RT(s) which I understand is close enough for this FTTN technology. Where is there a good primer on what is installed for U-Verse service and what kind of in-house cables, junction boxes, jacks, etc. are used? Thanks

Last edited:
I live about 4 miles from the nearest town's DCO and cannot get DSL. A few days ago I noticed that AT&T installed another shelter (probably a VRAD) at the entrance to my subdivision and the labels on it indicated that fiber optic cables had been installed/buried. This new smaller shelter is about 18"DX40"WX40"H. They also had a pilot plastic line running along the telephone poles toward town so I assume that part of the cable run into town will be aerial.

I surmise that this is part of their Project Lightspeed initiative and that U-Verse will be offered soon. Is that a fairly accurate postulation? I live about 1500 cable feet from the RT(s) which I understand is close enough for this FTTN technology. Where is there a good primer on what is installed for U-Verse service and what kind of in-house cables, junction boxes, jacks, etc. are used? Thanks

With FTTN or Fiber to Node, it is not truly a 100% fiber connection like FTTP or Fiber to Premises. What will happen is the Fiber lines will be converted in the node to use the twisted pair already running to into the house. It is my understanding that in existing neighborhood they will use FTTN and in newer neighborhoods were trunk lines can be more easily integrated they will use FTTP. So more than likely the will use FTTN in your situation which can go up to one mile I believe using the existing lines already run to your house.

Cat 5 cable will be sufficient enough for the network. You will only need a residential gateway device from a company like 2 wire 2Wire.com: Home this will integrate phone, dsl, and tv using your existing wires. Check this site out HomePNA

Att Dsl

I just ordered the basic >768kb package with free modem (AR) for $10/mo.
We will see how/if it works, plan is good until 12-09.
Nieghbor has 1.5mbs and is very happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts