AT&T completes DIRECTV spinoff.

I'll know more when i get my next bill .... :eeek

I'm thinking (hoping) that seeing Att still owns most of it, my bill and ST will stay the same.

$16 Billion valuation for DIrecTV, down from around $67 Billion purchase / debt acquisition.

"“We certainly didn’t expect this outcome when we closed the DirecTV acquisition in 2015,” AT&T John Stankey said on a call with analysts and investors after the news was made public." Stankey led AT&T's acquisition of DirecTV and Time Warner in 2015 and 2018, respectively.

How is this guy still getting paid. Cellular profits covers all I guess. This will make a great chapter in business textbooks in the next 10 years (if it isn't there already).

$16 Billion valuation for DIrecTV, down from around $67 Billion purchase / debt acquisition.

"“We certainly didn’t expect this outcome when we closed the DirecTV acquisition in 2015,” AT&T John Stankey said on a call with analysts and investors after the news was made public." Stankey led AT&T's acquisition of DirecTV and Time Warner in 2015 and 2018, respectively.

How is this guy still getting paid. Cellular profits covers all I guess. This will make a great chapter in business textbooks in the next 10 years (if it isn't there already).
You do realize they only sold 30% of directv

So if they sold 30% for $1.8 billion, then the whole thing must have only been valued at about $6 billion (30%x=1.8, x=1.8/30%, x=1.8/0.3, x=6).

They sold more than directv..their entire video and streaming operation
Yep. DTV satellite, DTV Stream (AT&T TV), and Uverse TV.

When they acquired DTV back in 2015, it had 24 million subs. AT&T's own Uverse TV had about 6 million subs at the time. So a total of about 30 million.

Between those two, plus the new streaming AT&T TV service, they're now down to a total of only about 16 million. So AT&T lost 47% of their total video subs over the past 6 years. Pretty astounding. But the valuation of those businesses is now far less than half what it was when they purchased DTV. What a colossal mistake that acquisition was. Of course, AT&T's mismanagement of the service made things even worse. But DTV, like Dish and all other MVPDs, was bound to lose subscribers and value as more and more consumers cut the cord on cable TV...

Reactions: Justy5
Yep. DTV satellite, DTV Stream (AT&T TV), and Uverse TV.

When they acquired DTV back in 2015, it had 24 million subs. AT&T's own Uverse TV had about 6 million subs at the time. So a total of about 30 million.

Between those two, plus the new streaming AT&T TV service, they're now down to a total of only about 16 million. So AT&T lost 47% of their total video subs over the past 6 years. Pretty astounding. But the valuation of those businesses is now far less than half what it was when they purchased DTV. What a colossal mistake that acquisition was. Of course, AT&T's mismanagement of the service made things even worse. But DTV, like Dish and all other MVPDs, was bound to lose subscribers and value as more and more consumers cut the cord on cable TV...
Dish had 14 million at one time...just sayin its bad all over

Reactions: larry55
This guy is dilusional ....

not necessarily having to install a giant satellite dish on their homes. The latter is a big selling point for NFL fans, if the replies to Ourand’s tweet are any indication:

A GIANT Satellite dish ?????

Does this guy even know what a Sat dish is ?
Lets go back a ways and put a 12' dish on His Property so he can watch the Sunday ticket, THEN he'll know what a Giant dish is.

Fwiw, at one time I Did have one for the ST.

Reactions: 907TECH

not necessarily having to install a giant satellite dish on their homes. The latter is a big selling point for NFL fans, if the replies to Ourand’s tweet are any indication:

Lets go back a ways and put a 12' dish on His Property so he can watch the Sunday ticket, THEN he'll know what a Giant dish is.

I always wanted one of those giant Dishes when I was young, being a latch key kid, I was just begging for more entertainment, did not have Cable available to us until I was 14, 40 years ago, my children ( now 31 and 26) have no idea how different things were back then vs when they grew up.

Reactions: Jimbo and mdonnelly
I always wanted one of those giant Dishes when I was young, being a latch key kid, I was just begging for more entertainment, did not have Cable available to us until I was 14, 40 years ago, my children ( now 31 and 26) have no idea how different things were back then vs when they grew up.
Me too back in the 80's ....

But with a multiple TV household of a Mother (Father passed back in 1970) and 4 other siblings at the time. The big movable dish C-band buds obviously wouldn't work since they can only point and receive programming from one satellite at a time.

So we had to live with analog cable until digital DBS satellite came along in the early 90s.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

To be fair, both my wife and my mom have complained about the large (huge, giant, what have you) satellite dishes we've had on our homes. Both are very happy to no longer have them. Size is relative I guess.

Reactions: NashGuy

I had my BUD( big ugly dish) There was no such thing as season ticket, all games were on free and clear...It was a great time for tv....Catch a back haul and no commercials and hearing the announcers talk about all kinds of stuff!
Miss that, that was over 30 years go!

I had my BUD( big ugly dish) There was no such thing as season ticket, all games were on free and clear...It was a great time for tv....Catch a back haul and no commercials and hearing the announcers talk about all kinds of stuff!
Miss that, that was over 30 years go!
Yep! Some of the backhauls had no announcer audio, only stadium sound. It was great, no Joe Buck and Bozo to mute! :D

By the way, still have my BUD and it's still operational. :)

I got my BUD in 1992. Back then if you subscribed to any channel, Sportschannel was in fixed key. That meant every MLB game was free! And the NFL games were all on backhauls so they were also free.

Reactions: dhpeeple1 and AZ.
Dish had 14 million at one time...just sayin its bad all over
Sure, Dish has lost a lot of subs too. They were at 13.9 million in mid-2015 and are now down to 8.68 (not including Sling, which really isn't a comparable service). That's a loss of 37.6% of their subscriber base, which is pretty awful, but still not as bad as AT&T's 45% decline over the same period.

A cable TV industry analyst group's report issued last Oct. said that the overall industry in the US only lost 9.5% of its subs over the preceding 5-year period, i.e. from mid-2015 to mid-2020. I'm sure there have been further losses in the year since, but still not enough to get anywhere close to either AT&T or Dish's level of losses.

So while the rise of cheaper and free streaming options like Netflix and YouTube have hit cable TV overall, it's been satellite TV that's really gotten crushed in the past several years, way beyond the hits that TV+broadband operators like Comcast, Charter, Altice, Verizon, Cox, etc. have seen in their TV subscriber numbers. Not having that double-play connection with customers hurts, as does the up-front 2-year contract. And satellite has higher customer acquisition costs because of the "free" professional installation that must be recouped via their monthly prices. And then a lot of consumers don't want a dish on their roof any more.

At some point, though, I would expect satellite TV to find its floor with rural customers who have no other good choice for pay TV, combined with longtime satellite TV customers who have other choices but love it or just stick with it out of inertia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts