AT&T Cruisecast Mobile Video Service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Launching in March, AT&T Cruisecast is a mobile video satellite service for automobiles.

The Dish attaches to the roof via a mangnet mount or luggage rack, and stands about 4" above the roof (for those with a close garage bay already).

The service offers a planned 20-25 channels, and is expandable, they spoke to being able to easily acquire additional transponder space as part of their lease.

Compared to competitors like Sirius car video product with only 5 channels or so, this has a big advantage.

The hard part is the price tag, with a expected price of $1299 + installation. It will be available via independent dealers, such as your typical car audio places, and perhpas some automotive dealers.

Service will be $29/month.

They have secured several Disney & Discovery networks, News networks, Comedy centeral, and are working on ESPN (but not final yet).
AT&T CruiseCast - Channel Line Up

Here are some pics of the dish.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    596.8 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    465.4 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    681.8 KB · Views: 456
Sirius has a 3 channel solution, and I think there is one other out there. Neither Dish or Directv have a mobile solution like this. There are custom mfg mobile dishes made for dish/directv, but they cost typically $2000+.

Look at the last pic, it has the luggage rack in front.

Generally, it appearas it would stand about 2-3" taller than a typical luggage rack on most vehicles.

If they could get the Dish size down about 2 inches it would be a great add on.

I am thinking about getting it and getting rid of Sirius Backseat Video which is what I have now, however I have concerns of fitting in my parking garage with the Dish being that tall.

My dad had this installed yesterday, didn't get a ton of time to play with it but the buffering is a neat idea provided you give it a chance to buffer (and don't insist on channel surfing while driving on a tree-lined road like I was :)). The antenna looks about like one of the ones you see on trucks for tracking purposes, and looks a bit smaller than the one in the attached pics above. It does have ESPN Mobile, which looked like it was just duplicating the main ESPN feed at the time (no special ticker or anything like that). Need to try watching it on a bigger screen the next time I have a chance, just got to watch on the 4" screen in his dash rather than the headrest mounted ones. Probably not what you want just as an individual, but if I had children and went on road trips a lot this would be a lifesaver!

I would love to try and review this service. I have contacted Cruisecast a few times and they wont even return emails.

My truck would be perfect for it as I have two 7 inch monitors in my truck (and currently subscribe to Sirius Backseat TV)

My understanding is they aren't even charging for the service yet if you have the hardware since so much is still being finalized, so maybe they don't want "beta" service being reviewed :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)