Video - 922 Demonstration

Off the top of my head, I'm guessing the dell was probably running a slingplayer client.

I hate to interject anything depressing here, this looks like the most exciting thing ever to come out of Echostar, but what are the associated one-time and monthly fees going to be with this thing? I want one, but not if it causes my monthly bill to increase!
- DVR fee (of course)
- EHD enablement fee (hopefully not again since I already paid that on the 622)
- Sling enabling fee
- WiFi SlingMonitor fee
- OTA module enabling fee
- Web browser enabling fee
- others?

I just don't think that they will go that route, see my responses below in bold.

Off the top of my head, I'm guessing the dell was probably running a slingplayer client.

I hate to interject anything depressing here, this looks like the most exciting thing ever to come out of Echostar, but what are the associated one-time and monthly fees going to be with this thing? I want one, but not if it causes my monthly bill to increase!

- DVR fee (of course) agree as they have this on all their DVRs

- EHD enablement fee (hopefully not again since I already paid that on the 622) we already know that this is a per account fee as many of us have tested out with having multiple 622s/722s

- Sling enabling fee I don't see them charging this as it is something that is already built into the box vs something that you have to add on like the external hard drives

- WiFi SlingMonitor fee again don't see a fee here, but as reported expect a charge for the monitor that goes in the other room and I'm sure they will make some profit on the hardware itself, the wifi piece is already built in to the box

- OTA module enabling fee They are going to make you buy the OTA module we already know that, once you buy I don't see another fee (there isn't an OTA fee for current boxes)

- Web browser enabling fee I don't know why anyone would pay a fee for this as it can be done so many other ways so I don't see them trying to charge one

- others? Can't think of any

So at the end of the day I just don't see any new fees here that you wouldn't see on a curent 722. But what do I know :D

As far as I know there are no additional fees. In fact they were gloating about this at the Dish booth.

Now f we could get them to make a 1 DVR fee per account (instead of per box) the world would be a nicer place. :D

As far as I know there are no additional fees. In fact they were gloating about this at the Dish booth.

Now f we could get them to make a 1 DVR fee per account (instead of per box) the world would be a nicer place. :D

Agreed.;)

Was there any buzz at CES about HAVA Wireless (Slingbox Competitor). I really like their wireless box, but they still don't have a Blackberry viewer out.

They say they have the Blackberry viewer under development, but the little I've been able to find on the web, seems to talk about a new IPhone viewer??

I spent some money on mine and hate to throw it out.

Yes. Even if it is something like one fee for those subs who just want one DVR, and some kind of value fee for those who want more DVR's, up to the 6 box limit. This would be a compromise to the penny counters at Dish.

Hell a Slingbox Pro HD is $250... the Slingcatcher is $250... a $200 upgrade to get them both is not a bad sounding deal to me. :D

Did you get to play with the Sling interface? I wondered if the 922 allows you to watch TV2 or the OTA tuner while someone sitting in front of the 922 watches TV1. That would be an additional function that is not available currently to Sling users.

I agree that the new UI is pretty cool. But it sounds like eventually the UI will be available for the 622/722 as well.

Does the 922 stream directly to the SlingMonitor, or must you have a home wifi network set up to get the SlingMonitor and 922 to talk to each other? I've read both, but during the demo I think they said you needed WiFi.

If you need a WiFi then I don't see the SlingMonitor is much different than my homemade $400 SlingMonitor (SlingCatcher, HD computer monitor, powered speakers, homeplug ethernet), other than being in one convenient box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)