AT&T disappointed with offers for struggling DirecTV

Comcast knows the future is in the experience. This is why they have X1. They are trying to keep people from streaming. And if they do stream they have the broadband infrastructure. This is why AT&T is pushing HBOMax hard.
I don't think Comcast has any interest in keeping folks from streaming -- they're embracing streaming. They've launched their own nationwide OTT streaming service, Peacock, give a free streaming box (Flex) with Peacock Premium to their broadband-only customers. And they now, or soon will, offer apps for all the major streaming services on X1 and Flex. (Well, there's no announcement yet on an Apple TV app but we'll probably see it on X1 eventually.) Comcast knows you need broadband for streaming and they've publicly stated for a few years now that they see broadband, not cable TV, as their primary business line and the foundation of their relationship with customers. If you just get one line of service from them, they want it to be broadband. If you get a second one, they want it to be either cable TV or mobile phone. (They offer home phone and home security services too, but those aren't marketed very much.)

I think their attitude is that just about everyone who pays for cable TV service is going to do some streaming too. Better to improve those customers' experience by having one box that can do it all, and that's what their X1 platform is becoming. AT&T TV aims to do the same thing with their customized Android TV box.

I don't think Comcast has any interest in keeping folks from streaming -- they're embracing streaming. They've launched their own nationwide OTT streaming service, Peacock, give a free streaming box (Flex) with Peacock Premium to their broadband-only customers. And they now, or soon will, offer apps for all the major streaming services on X1 and Flex. (Well, there's no announcement yet on an Apple TV app but we'll probably see it on X1 eventually.) Comcast knows you need broadband for streaming and they've publicly stated for a few years now that they see broadband, not cable TV, as their primary business line and the foundation of their relationship with customers. If you just get one line of service from them, they want it to be broadband. If you get a second one, they want it to be either cable TV or mobile phone. (They offer home phone and home security services too, but those aren't marketed very much.)

I think their attitude is that just about everyone who pays for cable TV service is going to do some streaming too. Better to improve those customers' experience by having one box that can do it all, and that's what their X1 platform is becoming. AT&T TV aims to do the same thing with their customized Android TV box.
Comcast owns a bunch of cable channels...they are supposed tobe moving nbcsport to streaming amongst a bunch of other channels...as far as cable..comcasts interests in streaming extend far beyond cable and internet

Comcast owns a bunch of cable channels...they are supposed tobe moving nbcsport to streaming amongst a bunch of other channels...as far as cable..comcasts interests in streaming extend far beyond cable and internet
They're not exactly moving NBCSN to streaming, they're just shutting that cable channel down completely and dividing the sports it carries among USA, NBC and Peacock. So some of the NBCSN will move to streaming but some of it -- including the major NASCAR races, I think -- will just shift over to USA or NBC.

Reactions: ncted
They're not exactly moving NBCSN to streaming, they're just shutting that cable channel down completely and dividing the sports it carries among USA, NBC and Peacock. So some of the NBCSN will move to streaming but some of it -- including the major NASCAR races, I think -- will just shift over to USA or NBC.
A bunch of other low viewership channels are next..cough syfy cough...more profitable to stream at the channel level

Weren't they worried about Dish raising prices after a merger and wont let them do one until rural areas have more 5g?
5g wasn't even on the radar when merger denied..both companies have lost about 1/2 their subscriber base...soon they will need to merge to survive

Wouldn't that be considered a monopoly if TPG had DTV, UVerseTV, AT&T TV and Dish Network? Unless they were able merge them all together into one TV service?
Not necessarily..cable has a monopoly..they need to merge to survive