at&t ditching unlimited iphone data

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
When my contract runs out if the time comes and they will not renew my 30.00 unlimited data ... I will drop AT&T. There's no real savings on that 2 GB 25.00 deal.

It seems you can keep your current plan. No need to renew when contract ends.

However, if you upgrade your phone, I'd expect they'd call that a "new" plan, and you'd have to pick from available plans at that time.

In any event, the other companies will probably have similar arrangements by then. Because if they don't, AT&T will have to back down.

Related thread.

I like the new tiered plans but, I'm surprised they didn't add a new unlimited option at a higher cost.

Now I have to decide if I want to save $15.00 a month and give up unlimited. I currently only average about 60mb a month in usage.

Hopefully competition will drive down the costs. It would have been much more reasonable, if for example if when you paid the $20 to tether you also got 2 more GB of data, so $45 for 4GB with tethering. Would be much more in line with the data rates of $50 - $60 for 5GB.

I would like to see competition drive the rate closer to $1 per GB, but I do not see it happening any time soon. Having someone tether their jailbroken iPhone to a PC and using it for torrents is abuse of the system. I wonder if AT&T will eventually come back and reign in unlimited.

People who use tethering for downloading torrents should be drowned because they're clearly stupid. Mobile speeds are so finicky and random that you'd just go crazy waiting for something to DL..

People who use tethering for downloading torrents should be drowned because they're clearly stupid. Mobile speeds are so finicky and random that you'd just go crazy waiting for something to DL..

for some people its the only option
where i live you cannote get cable, dsl, or fios
your options for internet are satellite or cell

you can easily achieve dl speeds in excess of 200kbs, and its steady, at least on vzw

not as fast as cable buy far and above dialup

btw i use 1-10gb per month

Because of this new plan I am not going to get an Iphone. I would clearly use more than 2 gb and would be subject to paying much more per month than I wanted to. Oh well...

vinnyv07 said:
Because of this new plan I am not going to get an Iphone. I would clearly use more than 2 gb and would be subject to paying much more per month than I wanted to. Oh well...

Good. That will keep my bill down, since I will not be subsidizing you.

you can now get 2 free hours of att access at starbucks!
thats what they wanted to do with the bandwidth

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts