AT&T DSL Dilemma

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
I have just had AT&T DSL installed in my house this past Friday. I'm using an Actiontec GT701D modem & I'm not getting any ISP connection. I have a solid green power,DSL,& ethernet light,but no ISP connection. AT&T is no help because it is not their modem,& Actiontec is not on their list of modems. Since I have never had DSL before(only broadband cable),I'm not sure how I'm supposed to know if I have internet connection besides the browser page coming up ok. I have anally followed the install instructions to the letter(over & over again) & still no connection to my ISP.

Are you using a router with the modem? Are there phones on the line and do you have filters installed? Are all the lights green ? If so I think I can help.

Are you using a router with the modem? Are there phones on the line and do you have filters installed? Are all the lights green ? If so I think I can help.

It is a naked DSL install(no phones) so I have no filters installed. I have no router in between my modem & computer. All lights are green(power & DSL solid). I am in Georgia,so my VPI is 8 & my VCI is 35. I have both my NAT & DHCP on,& I'm on MMODE.

I believe you have to get into the DSL modem service menu with your browser and enter your email/name and password. Your modem should have a sticker with a numeric address for the config menu.

I believe you have to get into the DSL modem service menu with your browser and enter your email/name and password. Your modem should have a sticker with a numeric address for the config menu.

I've accessed the modem service menu & put in the email/name & password. I have also called AT&T & they have that email/name & password on record. My personal opinion is that AT&T hasn't switched something on for me to get to my ISP. I have dial tone & my DSL light is on & solid green. The only way I fear I can prove that it is error on AT&T's part is if I got [for a price] one of their modems & see if I can connect with it.

You know,I'd believe that something is wrong with my modem if it were not for the fact that I also cannot log on to the AT&T site with the user name & password I provided during registration. The response keeps coming back that the user name is not registered. I'm calling them in the morning to either resolve this issue or cancel my service. It is so obvious that somebody dropped the ball.

You know,I'd believe that something is wrong with my modem if it were not for the fact that I also cannot log on to the AT&T site with the user name & password I provided during registration. The response keeps coming back that the user name is not registered. I'm calling them in the morning to either resolve this issue or cancel my service. It is so obvious that somebody dropped the ball.

First of all, you DO have to use a modem that is authorized for ATT, doesn't mean it has to be an ATT modem, you can get them at Best Buy and a few other places.
We currently use 2 Wire and Westell modems, occasionally Netopia ( they are mainly for Business use).

If your DSL light is on and GREEN, you ARE getting the DSL signal, chances are it's a non compatible modem or you have a PASSWORD issue.
Or it could be a bad modem, I get them from time to time as well.
I have a nice Netopia that I liked real well but I ended up moving to the local Cable co for my internet. ( I don't live in an area that I can get our DSL service, verizon territory)

First of all, you DO have to use a modem that is authorized for ATT, doesn't mean it has to be an ATT modem, you can get them at Best Buy and a few other places.
We currently use 2 Wire and Westell modems, occasionally Netopia ( they are mainly for Business use).

If your DSL light is on and GREEN, you ARE getting the DSL signal, chances are it's a non compatible modem or you have a PASSWORD issue.
Or it could be a bad modem, I get them from time to time as well.
I have a nice Netopia that I liked real well but I ended up moving to the local Cable co for my internet. ( I don't live in an area that I can get our DSL service, verizon territory)

Well,the good news is that I got my DSL problems resolved. I thought as much about the Actiontec so I ordered a Motorola 2210 from AT&T. I hooked it up & I still couldn't get through to the ATT ISP. I called ATT technical support last Saturday & they attempted to reset my DSL from their end but was unsuccessful.So they had someone come out today to check the box to see if it was contacting the "home office." The only thing I know is that I saw a solid green internet light on my Motorola at 2PM,which I thought was unusual because the tech wasn't supposed to show up until 5PM. But hey,it works & I'm up & running. I'm using my Actiontec Modem because the Motorola DOES run hot.

If you have your modem hooked up, it is common for it to actually work before we get out there.. (dsl light goes solid green). They tell you 8 pm around here, that gives us time to get everything going before hand, a lot of stuff has to happen.

I have actually went out to do their install and the sub says it won't work till after 8 pm, I tell them otherwise and they don't believe me.
Then you get the subs that do not expect anyone to come to the house ... sometimes we can turn on without showing up, but not often.

Then you get the people that ont want you to come in, apartment too... I tell them, I prefer to make sure that it works in THEIR apt. Or where they hope to use it in their home.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts