SkywayUSA and Birdog

powerismine

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Alexander, NY
Has anyone tried to use the Birdog for AMC 15? We can't get it to lock, it locks on AMC 4 but not on AMC 15. Anyone got any ideas what we are doing wrong, we have a birdog ver. 3.0.

Thanks all
Rich

Has anyone tried to use the Birdog for AMC 15? We can't get it to lock, it locks on AMC 4 but not on AMC 15. Anyone got any ideas what we are doing wrong, we have a birdog ver. 3.0.

Thanks all
Rich

I had the same issue a couple weeks ago. Had to break out the channel master. I do very few skyway sytems, mostly hughes, which I prefer installing any way. I would say its in the meter setup or in the data stream. Check the news page on birdogs website regular. They frequently update their files for many satellites.

Yeah thats the file that I have on the birdog. I am going to have to call skyway and have them update birdog with the latest information. When we use our analog meters it just pegs it so I am not sure how you are using an analog meter with skyways dish. Please let me know.

Thanks all

I used an analog meter on skyway. I haven't installed on in a while, but I would use a channel master analog.
I actually found that using the little sat beeper thing that they send for a self-install works just as easy and fast.

The sat beeper works fine here to lock the signal. But I am by Buffalo NY and our signal is very low. Skyway wants at least a 8db before we can close the ticket and most of the time with out a bigger dish that is impossible on AMC15. That is why I would like to be able to use the birdog to fine tune the signal. Once the weather breaks I will try out the analog meter again to see whats going on. I have tried the Channel Master, The crapo, and the Eagle Aspen meter on it before and it doesn't seem to make a difference it just pegs the meter out and moving the dish and lnb doesn't make a difference on the meter at all. I should have some more infomation early next week if the weather gets better.

Thanks for all the help,
Any other ideas or thaughts are welcome.

Rich

I just spoke with T3. Their report is BirDog hasn't updated their software/unit to include AMC-15 yet. T3 has made the request to them but nothing has happened as of today. Maybe if enough people request it, they will get it done soon?

Another way to BirDog in AMC-15 is to:

1) Find AMC-4 (101-degrees) and move it 4 to 5-degrees West to (105-degrees).

2) Tweak in the signal from there just slight elevation changes. Its different depending on where you are in the CONUS.

i.e.

In Ohio: Drop elevation 1.71-degrees (South)
In North Carolina:
Drop elevation 1.96-degrees (South)

+

Use our SkyBeeper - do you have one? Let me know.

BTW
Where are you?

For anyone who hasn't seen our SkyBeeper, here you go:

SkyBeeper.JPG

BTW: I just linked to this thread on our BLOG

broadband in a box blog: BirDog Tuner Discussion

thanks for looking into this , and for the quick responce !!!- i am in ohio (we've covered mainly columbus north for the last 9 years) but starting the 15th we will be doing installs for ddi (down your way)

I am located in Batavia NY, Between buffalo and rochester. That sat beeper can only lock on the sat but can't fine tune it. We need to be able to fine tune with one installer, not with 2 people, walkie talkies and yelling out the window :D. I am also currently working with skywayUSA to get them provide larger dishes in my area as we are right on the outer edge of the AMC15 footprint. I am currently waiting for a call back from Skyway on these issues.

HJ, great meeting/talking with you today. I appreciate that you contacted BirDog. Thank you sir!

PIM, Remember, your tech can always call SkyWay USA Tech Support and they can help fine tune the system via Telnet. Try it out on your next install. The modem must be connected to dialup to do this. They are here to help your guys out in the trenches, pun intended, USE THEM!

FWIW a larger dish may help pull in a better signal. I tuned a 10 with a .86 up on the MI Thumb a few months ago. Have you tested out a .86? Shoot me an email with your company name, etc., I will check and see where SkyWay USA is on those larger dishes for you, can't hurt + I'll forward you the AMC-15 contour map FYI.

Last edited:
My Company Name is :

JSTAR Communications, LLC
8383 Seven Springs RD
Batavia NY 14020

Let me know if you can get anywhere with skywayusa because it has been an on going battle up here.

Thanks
powerismine

Thanks all
Rich

I spoke with P-10 today and emailed the correct parameters to them they should be getting that fixed quickly.:D

Lost with skyway system !!!!! Need help

PIM, D.O.N.E.

I'll let you know when I know...

Anyone ever had problems getting a skyway system to lock on useing the sky beeper? I cant even get my birddog to pick up amc 4 on this system i'm completely lost and not sure what to do and i have almost 10 years expereince. any ideas or similar situations:cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)