AT&T explores Direct TV sale again

DJMooty

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Florida
Via WSJ

Telephone giant in discussions with private-equity bidders for satellite-TV business wounded by shift to streaming services

Any deal for the satellite TV service would be sizable, but likely a far cry from the $49 billion AT&T paid for it in 2015. The pay-TV unit has lost millions of subscribers in recent years as view-ers switch to on-demand entertainment services like Netflix Inc. A deal could value the business below $20 billion, some of the people said.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I'm staying for the next ten years if a new buyer brings auto tune, caller ID to another Genie DVR with more tuners and space then the current ones have housed in them. Bring it Hedge funds. Just don't run the service in the ground like the guy that is running Sears into the ground. Make money but, keep the satellite service alive! Bring it...

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Reactions: AZ. and Jimbo

I'm staying for the next ten years if a new buyer brings auto tune, caller ID to another Genie DVR with more tuners and space then the current ones have housed in them. Bring it Hedge funds. Just don't run the service in the ground like the guy that is running Sears into the ground. Make money but, keep the satellite service alive! Bring it...

If the price doesn't continue to climb, I'm in.

If the price doesn't continue to climb, I'm in.
I agree! But, If you know about hedge funds - they love money and profits. I'm sure the endless increases will continue. Same as the cable world or they have an incentive like a two year moratorium on increases. Who knows. Juss saying...

Reactions: AZ.
AT&T has been looking to off load the Directv( AT&T entertainment) model for quite some time now.
With the surge in web and app based programming options, pay tv is becoming a less favorable option.
AT&T is not a communications company anymore. It is a financial company. The only priority that company has is keeping the stock holders happy.

AT&T has been looking to off load the Directv( AT&T entertainment) model for quite some time now.
With the surge in web and app based programming options, pay tv is becoming a less favorable option.
AT&T is not a communications company anymore. It is a financial company. The only priority that company has is keeping the stock holders happy.
Yep, I think your are right. I am sticking with Charlie till the end.

I read that AT&T might be receptive to letting Direct go for around 20B, but I don't think Ergen is willing to pay nearly that much. However, if a sale is consummated I don't think the regulators will raise any objections this time around.

At&t has always been stockholder driven perhaps more than other companies, but large successful companies are they have to be.

People forget why At&t bought Directv, and myself and others pointed it out. They wanted rights to things, programming, Directv had. As soon as they bought it, the end was nearer for Directv at least under At&t. They never hid it, I posted the exact quote given about the "end life" of the satellites, not being replaced, etc.

I also believe people are dreaming if they think the type of organizations, people who would buy Directv at this point, and it would have to be a fire sale, would sink any money into it. Unless it is already well underway I don't see any new receivers. If anything it would be a streamlined Directv. Just my opinion.
I don't know that DISH is really interested anymore. I have to know how they would benefit from it, are they going to run Directv? How would it be integrated? That seems a like prohibited cost to simply acquire customers unless Charlie got it super cheap. The road block is what it always has been aside from cost and FCC approval, incompatible equipment to make one company easily done.

I read that AT&T might be receptive to letting Direct go for around 20B, but I don't think Ergen is willing to pay nearly that much. However, if a sale is consummated I don't think the regulators will raise any objections this time around.
Ergen screwed them in the past....look for spinoff

At&t has always been stockholder driven perhaps more than other companies, but large successful companies are they have to be.

People forget why At&t bought Directv, and myself and others pointed it out. They wanted rights to things, programming, Directv had. As soon as they bought it, the end was nearer for Directv at least under At&t. They never hid it, I posted the exact quote given about the "end life" of the satellites, not being replaced, etc.

I also believe people are dreaming if they think the type of organizations, people who would buy Directv at this point, and it would have to be a fire sale, would sink any money into it. Unless it is already well underway I don't see any new receivers. If anything it would be a streamlined Directv. Just my opinion.
I don't know that DISH is really interested anymore. I have to know how they would benefit from it, are they going to run Directv? How would it be integrated? That seems a like prohibited cost to simply acquire customers unless Charlie got it super cheap. The road block is what it always has been aside from cost and FCC approval, incompatible equipment to make one company easily done.
The maintenance alone is too much

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tampa8
c. can't be all that interested- he's been sitting on bandwidth that a&tt could use, that he has to unload because he ain't, and no deal yet

Well another thing to consider is the future with Starlink and other future Satellite internet services, that can provide high speed internet services to remote locations allowing those in rural areas to stream TV, This will be the nail in the coffin for Satellite TV in the years following, and I guess there's too much bad blood between AT&T and Charlie for a merger, the only common interests is their Satellites still in orbit.

Reactions: Yespage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)