AT&T exploring Deal to sell off DIRECTV.

I spoke to someone at AT&T who told me there will be no Directv as we know it in about 5 years. This is the time the last satellite launched will start failing. They are working with cell phone chips from AT&T to modify current Directv equipment to work with 5g.

Do you really believe the random CSRs, salespeople or installers know anything??

The core fleet will be good until at least 2030 or so. There are a few older satellites that will be retired or phased out in the next year or two, but none of them are used by anyone with an HD receiver.

Reactions: navychop
Besides, when they merge with Dish, they can combine fleets to lengthen the total lifespan. (ducks rotten tomatoes)

;)
Would a combined DTV and Dish Network be a successful company? If so, would they maybe launch new satellites to replace the T16? Along with having a new universal DVR and guide? Or would streaming really have taken off by then? The only thing I don't like about Dish Network is they have longer channel blackouts than DTV.

Do you really believe the random CSRs, salespeople or installers know anything??

The core fleet will be good until at least 2030 or so. There are a few older satellites that will be retired or phased out in the next year or two, but none of them are used by anyone with an HD receiver.

T(DirecTV)-10, launched in 2007, has a design life of 15 years. Two more years. T11, T12 were launched pretty much annually after that. The last three were 2014-2019.

Granted , satellites can be in service longer than there design life, or shorter. Anyhow, over the next 5 years, all but three satellites are beyond their design life.

That said, given current subscriber trends, they may run out of customers before the satellites stop working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T(DirecTV)-10, launched in 2007, has a design life of 15 years. Two more years. T11, T12 were launched pretty much annually after that. The last three were 2014-2019.

Granted , satellites can be in service longer than there design life, or shorter. Anyhow, over the next 5 years, all but three satellites are beyond their design life.

That said, given current subscriber trends, they may run out of customers before the satellites stop working.

The Sats have consistently outlived there lifespan by quite a long time As others have stated there is a good 10 years before things get dicey

Reactions: navychop
The Sats have consistently outlived there lifespan by quite a long time As others have stated there is a good 10 years before things get dicey

That why I said they’d run out of customers before they run out of satellites.

Besides, when they merge with Dish, they can combine fleets to lengthen the total lifespan. (ducks rotten tomatoes)

;)
Dish is not launching ( or building) new satellites either, both companies know their time is coming to a end.

Once Starlink gets going, Dish and DirecTV will start to lose the captive rural subscribers they have, that will hasten their end.

Reactions: comp9
Would a combined DTV and Dish Network be a successful company? If so, would they maybe launch new satellites to replace the T16? Along with having a new universal DVR and guide? Or would streaming really have taken off by then? The only thing I don't like about Dish Network is they have longer channel blackouts than DTV.

Dish is not launching ( or building) new satellites either, both companies know their time is coming to a end.

Once Starlink gets going, Dish and DirecTV will start to lose the captive rural subscribers they have, that will hasten their end.

I was actually joking.

Reactions: raoul5788 and comp9

D10 is not needed, T15 could take over its national transponders at any time and it hasn't served spot beams for years.

D8 was launched well before these satellites and when they renewed its license Directv reported to the FCC it has fuel life until 2034.

None of those satellites are beyond their design life, perhaps you ought to review the math you used to add "15" to the year they were launched. When Directv has to renew their licenses hopefully they will include something in the request about their fuel life, but saying that D11 and beyond will last until 2030 is only assuming about 5 or 6 years beyond the design life.

Pretty much everything lasts longer than 5 or 6 years beyond the design life. Hell, D4S and D5 were launched almost 20 years ago with a 10 year design life and they are still up there (while D5 currently isn't being used for anything since the 110 location has been phased out, I think D4S still serves some of the MPEG2 SD spot beams at 101)

If a company like Apollo Global Management buys DTV would they run it better and have better customer service?
Who the hell knows... It is an Asset Management company.. and no one is buying Directv outright if it even happens.. Most likely ATT Customer service will still run the show or Apollo will hire the cheapest call center in some foreign country to handle it.. It ATT Actually sells Directv to someone like that then start counting the days till the end and find a new service

I was reading up on private equity firms and what they do. It looks like they buy companies to make them better and make a profit off them. I guess the firm could make DTV better by contracting out new boxes and have a new guide? Maybe even launch a new Satellite? Why would they want to invest that money if Internet streaming is the future?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)