AT&T picks DirecTV for their DBS partner starting 2/1/2009

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I personally think this is GREAT news if you are a DISH retailier. Its about time for the DTV guys to screwed over for a while....:)

I was hoping that att was going to partner with Dish because I have both. However unless there is some huge offer I couldn't live without I will not make a change. I do not want to go through the install bs ever again. Receivers with bad updates or just the issue of having a bad receiver needing to be sent back only to find out the supposed new one is worse than the one I started with. The way I feel at this time is if I had to make a change I would go for TWC. It's the " kiss" principle. When dbs works right it is far better than cable. However for me to bundle my att phone service which includes my isp with Direct it had better be a huge savings. (Kiss stands for keep it simple stupid.) :rolleyes:

Personally I would bundle the phone and DSL but not the TV portion, I like being able to contact D* if I have issues vs calling the phone company and then they relay the info to D*, not sure if that is the way it works or not, but I can imagine.

...AT&T partnered with Dish...
Actually SBC (a.k.a. SWBell Corp.) partnered with Dish, initially.

After SBC bought the remains of AT&T, they changed their name from SBC to AT&T.

Good news for AT&T and DirecTV stock holders.
Bad news for the already hurting Dish Network.

Personally I would bundle the phone and DSL but not the TV portion, I like being able to contact D* if I have issues vs calling the phone company and then they relay the info to D*, not sure if that is the way it works or not, but I can imagine.

I had D* thru AT&T for a little while, just before they switched to E*, and you didn't call AT&T when you had a problem. You called D*. In fact, D* didn't show up on AT&T's bill. You got a discount that would show up on D*'s bill. I think it was $5 a month. I am in a old Bellsouth territory.

I have Dish with AT&T (started with SBC) and service has never been a problem. I also have Internet and phone bundled, and we save about four bucks off our satellite bill. Not huge, but not nothin either.

Reading the release it looks to me like current customers won't have to change. I hope that is the case. I have been pretty happy overall. A few glitches, true, but one call to ATT/Dish has always provided a nice solution. A far cry from what I've heard here from folks dealing directly with E* or D*.

I have Dish with AT&T (started with SBC) and service has never been a problem. I also have Internet and phone bundled, and we save about four bucks off our satellite bill. Not huge, but not nothin either.

Reading the release it looks to me like current customers won't have to change. I hope that is the case. I have been pretty happy overall. A few glitches, true, but one call to ATT/Dish has always provided a nice solution. A far cry from what I've heard here from folks dealing directly with E* or D*.

How much do you actually save when bundling the D* and the AT&T ?
IF you bundle , do you have to do ALL your dealings with the AT&T dept's if you have trouble with D* do you still call D* or do you need to call AT&T ?

this is a good thing, my stock (at&t) should be going up as well.

Jimbo

When I looked into this before, it was a wopping five bucks that you save. That's right, just five dollars! And, they typically do not have access to the same promotions and one time, when a friend looked into it, they didn't even offer all the latest equipment (i.e. 722). And, you have to commit with both AT&T and Dish. Can't remember if it was 12 months, 18 or whatever. This was absolutely not worth it. Maybe Direct TV has a better arrangement. Who knows, frankly who cares. One thing I do know, this is not the death of Dish as some here have posted. You've got to be kidding me.

When I looked into this before, it was a wopping five bucks that you save. That's right, just five dollars! And, they typically do not have access to the same promotions and one time, when a friend looked into it, they didn't even offer all the latest equipment (i.e. 722). And, you have to commit with both AT&T and Dish. Can't remember if it was 12 months, 18 or whatever. This was absolutely not worth it. Maybe Direct TV has a better arrangement. Who knows, frankly who cares. One thing I do know, this is not the death of Dish as some here have posted. You've got to be kidding me.

FWIW, I have AT&T (was SBC) with my E* bundled. I think it's $4/month for the discount. A few months ago, I just upgraded my 211 (one HD tv, no DVR) to a HD-DVR and got a 722 instead of a 622 without even asking for it. Overall, I've been happy... not sure what'll happen when my new contract is up in a year and a half now. Will I still get $4 off whatever price E* is (assuming it's still around)? Could get interesting.

On a side note, treiher is correct... I could not get the Cinemax for a penny promo despite being on autopay/paperless. The rep could only offer three months free instead.

Maybe with additional churn Dish Network will see the value of their existing customer base even more and see that it is cheaper to keep their existing good customers happy instead of acquiring worse new customers instead.

Okay, why does everyone hates Dish so much, and whatis so great about Direc tv. Harvey

Satelliteguys seems to have a a bunch of highly prolific people that love to LOVE or HATE giant corporate behemoths. It's kind of like how tech nerds seem to LOVE or HATE Apple. Personally, I wonder if this isn't just a baby step or two away from objectiphilia, especially with some of these DirecTV "lovers".

It's funny how similar Dish and Apple are -- both have highly visible CEOs who take the time to talk to their customers. As a result, people say things like "Charlie's too cheap to <xxx>" or "Steve Jobs' latest creation <xxx>". The reality is these corporations are massive with tens of thousands of people making things go behind the scenes.

Okay, why does everyone hates Dish so much, and whatis so great about Direc tv. Harvey
Harvey I don't think everyone hates Dish however this was good news for Directv and naturally most of the posters are going to be pro Directv. I wish that both would merge and join forces to battle cable who in the past have been given advantages by the government which in the end hurts dbs customers. imho;):)

Satelliteguys seems to have a a bunch of highly prolific people that love to LOVE or HATE giant corporate behemoths. It's kind of like how tech nerds seem to LOVE or HATE Apple. Personally, I wonder if this isn't just a baby step or two away from objectiphilia, especially with some of these DirecTV "lovers".

It's funny how similar Dish and Apple are -- both have highly visible CEOs who take the time to talk to their customers. As a result, people say things like "Charlie's too cheap to <xxx>" or "Steve Jobs' latest creation <xxx>". The reality is these corporations are massive with tens of thousands of people making things go behind the scenes.

Jeff,
If you browse over to the DISH forum side, you will see that they love DISH and don't care for D*.

Jimbo

Ex AT&T Dish would have lost more than 200,000 subs in the first half of 2008 rather than adding 10. Charlie really blew it by not selling to AT&T for $60. Too bad Charlie and his buddies own most of the stock and don't care about the public holders.

I used to hope that Dish and Direct merge but I no longer wish that they will. Imagine how much worse customer support/satisfaction will be?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts