AT&T picks DirecTV for their DBS partner starting 2/1/2009

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yes.

Yes. To get the AT&T+D* bundle, you'd need an AT&T landline, or possibly AT&T DSL w/o a phone (dry loop DSL). Probably not available in your area, though. If AT&T wireless is in your area, they might offer a D* bundle. You'd have to ask them.

You can always get the sat service without bundling, then you would not have to drop your existing service.

Jimbo

About ATT and Direct

Hi am am a retailer for DISH now for three years and I want to tell you guys that I can not tell you the number of customers that call me wanting to get wildblue internet or wanting to upgradfe their Dish system and find out that if the have a bundled bill that they have to go through the phone company to do any of that. I have had several customers wanting wildblue and have to get their bills unbundled for me to install it or they can not even get it because ATT owns the account. They all have told me the savings is not worth the nightmare it creates. Also it takes ATT a month or better to unbundle it so I can do the promotion on that customer. So my feelings are the Direct tv retailers and customers can now experience this nightmare. I am not trying to be mean just thought I would share this and it does happen ALOT. Also I don't know wht everyone hates DISH because I really switch ALOT of people over to DISH from Direct. With the dual tuners and the DVR advantage and the cheaper programming packages available alot of customers can save from $10.00 to twenty bucks a month. Have a good evening and by the way I don't hate DIRECT TV I just am making a comment I know is true. Thanks everyone

Last edited:
I had the deal with Bellsouth Answers where they took 5 bucks off the bill each month until maybe 3 months after the ATT buyout then I lost it..hopefully i can get it back then.

I have a neighbour who installs Dish and basically said the same thing for some time. We'll probably chat about it next time we watch the retailer chat during the "boring" parts!

Hi am am a retailer for DISH now for three years and I want to tell you guys that I can not tell you the number of customers that call me wanting to get wildblue internet or ............ With the dual tuners and the DVR advantage and the cheaper programming packages available alot of customers can save from $10.00 to twenty bucks a month. Have a good evening and by the way I don't hate DIRECT TV I just am making a comment I know is true. Thanks everyone

Hi am am a retailer for DISH now for three years and I want to tell you guys that I can not tell you the number of customers that call me wanting to get wildblue internet or wanting to upgradfe their Dish system and find out that if the have a bundled bill that they have to go through the phone company to do any of that. I have had several customers wanting wildblue and have to get their bills unbundled for me to install it or they can not even get it because ATT owns the account. They all have told me the savings is not worth the nightmare it creates. Also it takes ATT a month or better to unbundle it so I can do the promotion on that customer. So my feelings are the Direct tv retailers and customers can now experience this nightmare. I am not trying to be mean just thought I would share this and it does happen ALOT. Also I don't know wht everyone hates DISH because I really switch ALOT of people over to DISH from Direct. With the dual tuners and the DVR advantage and the cheaper programming packages available alot of customers can save from $10.00 to twenty bucks a month. Have a good evening and by the way I don't hate DIRECT TV I just am making a comment I know is true. Thanks everyone

Don't take this wrong, but this happens with alot of companies when changing from one service to another. I was told that the local cable company generally holds the leaving persona account as long as they are allowed, which is normally 7-21 days. It does cause problems as I too lose sales because people want to change NOW, not 3 weeks from now.

Jimbo

There are alot of previous Dish subscribers here but only I can speak for myself.Why do I dislike Dish?.Is it because Dish loses channels like VOOM.MLB and during contract negotiations I lost channels, I woke up one morning and they were gone!.Oh we gradually got them back.Dish cited they were standing up to the greedy programmers to save me money.Then the next Feb. my package increased $3.:p

Is it because Dish charges a DVR fee per DVR where DirecTV doesn't or the program reduction fee?,or when you have the protection plan with Dish you still have to pay $30. for service?.So you can see why Dish may look cheaper on the outside but Dish can end up being more expensive on the inside.As for channels with Dish? If Dish thinks they are too much money they don't have them,where DirecTV does.All you have to do is compare channels.Plus DirecTV is more generous with their customer rebates.:)

I never thought I would ever have DirecTV.I really don't care for sports,but I sure like DirecTV's national basic channel selection.There are other problems with Dish,but I don't need to wipe my feet on them.They are doing a good job all by themselves and it would seem AT&T believes this also.;)

Here's something else to consider.AT&T is seeing DirecTV signing up all these subscribers and they want a share of that.;)

Last edited:
Now if only ATT would get DSL in my area....Then I can rid myself of comcast for internet

So if we are a current ATT U-verse customer, when can we take advantage of this news? 09?

What I have heard the program will be available to new subscribers to start,with the change for previous subscribers coming at a later date.

This is for DirecTV subscribers,for AT&T would imagine you would have to ask AT&T.;):welcome

Anyone know how much the D*/AT&T DSL 6.0 bundle will give as a discount when it comes about? $10-20 per month?

Anyone know how much the D*/AT&T DSL 6.0 bundle will give as a discount when it comes about? $10-20 per month?

I don't think you will know that until closer to the Feb 1st date when this all goes into effect.

Mini,
In your sig, you mention HDTV = Future, well the Future is NOW

Jimbo

I don't think you will know that until closer to the Feb 1st date when this all goes into effect.

Mini,
In your sig, you mention HDTV = Future, well the Future is NOW

Jimbo

Signature has been corrected. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

What does this mean for current Directv customer?

So, I have Directv currently and AT&T for phones. Currently they don't offer dsl in my area (although I've heard for 1 1/2 yrs that it's coming - new subdivision and they don't have the IDF turned on yet). SOOOO....does that mean I can renegotiate my current Directv and get more rooms hooked up at a deal?

Janet
(new to this site as of Nov 2008)

So, I have Directv currently and AT&T for phones. Currently they don't offer dsl in my area (although I've heard for 1 1/2 yrs that it's coming - new subdivision and they don't have the IDF turned on yet). SOOOO....does that mean I can renegotiate my current Directv and get more rooms hooked up at a deal?

Janet
(new to this site as of Nov 2008)

Probably not,
I'm guessing that they are referring to NEW sub only, but it can't hurt to ask.

Currently have the Bell South Bundle -- local service with unlimited long distance. No DSL -- the bundle discount which appears on the D* bill is $10 per month.
The accounts are not linked and if I have an issue with D* I call D* and not ATT.

Hope it stays the same...

AT&T is no longer expanding DSL..
its focusing on U-verse now

Not true. In area's that do not qualify for U-Verse AT&T is still placing BOBs or Broadband optical boxes that will service DSL until U-verse is expanded. Currently they have strict requirements for any hood to be U-Verse eligible. They take number of houses and average household incomes to determine.

The requirements for DSL upgrades are significantly lower then U-Verse.

Status
Please reply by conversation.