AT&T to charge for Facetime over 3G in iOS6?

That's a craptastic non-response if I've ever heard one.

While I generally prefer to avoid the use of such words, I can't help but think it is EXACTLY appropriate in this case. Do you think the guy had any idea what his words made him look like? I'd like to 1-800 HIM where the sun don't shine!

While I generally prefer to avoid the use of such words, I can't help but think it is EXACTLY appropriate in this case. Do you think the guy had any idea what his words made him look like? I'd like to 1-800 HIM where the sun don't shine!

But it such a great word that evokes incredible imagery. :D

This is what I don't get either. Since we do not have unlimited data on most of our phones, why would it matter? In fact, I'd think they'd advertise the feature to get you to go over your data limit. That would make good business sense.

UNLESS, the answer is AT&T knows their network can't handle it? But really? How much bandwidth does low res video take from a 3.5" phone?

I was reading your post here and thought it would be nice to give everyone an estimate on this. Being a user of several jailbroken iPhones since they first launched I of course use programs that many other people don't have access to. Since the launch of the iPhone 4 I modified a file on the phone using a program called ifile to make factime over 3G function. Using a tethering app I've also connected our iPad to my phone while using factime to see how much bandwidth is consumes. My experience was around 150-170MB per hour of conversation. That being said, the average user with a 2GB data plan could consume the entire amount using facetime just over 2 hours a week.

I was reading your post here and thought it would be nice to give everyone an estimate on this. Being a user of several jailbroken iPhones since they first launched I of course use programs that many other people don't have access to. Since the launch of the iPhone 4 I modified a file on the phone using a program called ifile to make factime over 3G function. Using a tethering app I've also connected our iPad to my phone while using factime to see how much bandwidth is consumes. My experience was around 150-170MB per hour of conversation. That being said, the average user with a 2GB data plan could consume the entire amount using facetime just over 2 hours a week.

Wow. I am surprised by that. But then again, I can't imagine an hour conversation like that. Heck, I barely use my phone as it is - and FT is mostly for fun, for me anyways. If I am talking to somebody I don't want them to see me :rolleyes: or something :D

But thanks for the info.

Wow. I am surprised by that. But then again, I can't imagine an hour conversation like that. Heck, I barely use my phone as it is - and FT is mostly for fun, for me anyways. If I am talking to somebody I don't want them to see me :rolleyes: or something :D

But thanks for the info.

Yeah. I gotta say I was quite surprised myself. Its actually pretty bandwidth intensive. I can see why the providers wouldn't want someone like me with unlimited data using it frequently. I really wouldn't use it much myself but its fun letting my parents and in-laws talk to our 2 year old on factime.

Yeah. I gotta say I was quite surprised myself. Its actually pretty bandwidth intensive. I can see why the providers wouldn't want someone like me with unlimited data using it frequently. I really wouldn't use it much myself but its fun letting my parents and in-laws talk to our 2 year old on factime.

But for those of us no longer in unlimited plans, they should encourage it, as it means more revenue for them. :)

But for those of us no longer in unlimited plans, they should encourage it, as it means more revenue for them. :)

Yeah, thats for sure. I don't know why they wouldn't. I certainly won't worry about it for now at least. I regularly use 5+ GB of data and have never even gotten warned about my usage. I'm not sure what you have to do to be in that top 5% that does but apparently 6-8GB doesn't do it.

Over on TWiT it was reported by several people that FaceTime needs WiFi to start the conversation, but after that you can continue the call over cellular data. I don't know if that means both parties can "roam" after the call is established, but it sounds like it's easy enough to test.

Over on TWiT it was reported by several people that FaceTime needs WiFi to start the conversation, but after that you can continue the call over cellular data. I don't know if that means both parties can "roam" after the call is established, but it sounds like it's easy enough to test.

It sure as heck does not on Verizon on iOS6, that I can confirm. I Facetimed Todd Smith from the beach a month ago, over 3G. It may very well need that on iOS5, but not 6.

rockymtnhigh said:
It sure as heck does not on Verizon on iOS6, that I can confirm. I Facetimed Todd Smith from the beach a month ago, over 3G. It may very well need that on iOS5, but not 6.

Why would you ever want to see his ugly mug? He is why texting was invented. ;)

Well, us mere mortals don't have iOS 6 yet. I've not tried this trick on AT&T with iOS 5, so I can't confirm.

I don't know why AT&T would charge for FaceTime calls over their cellular network, I mean it's not like Skype. If AT&T wants to soak their customers for more money, they should charge for Skype since Skype is the de facto standard for video calling. If AT&T goes through with this, they'll get maybe what, 1000 customers that use FaceTime and will actually sign up?

Last edited:
Why would you ever want to see his ugly mug? He is why texting was invented. ;)

LOL -- particularly with the Mr Clean look going on, there was significant head glare.

But the purpose was to show him some bikinis on the beach to make the ole redneck jealous. :)

LOL -- particularly with the Mr Clean look going on, there was significant head glare.

But the purpose was to show him some bikinis on the beach to make the ole redneck jealous. :)

Oh, now that's a different story. I wasn't thinking about the beneficial uses of facetime.

Are you sure he knew what a bikini was though? Being a true southern redneck, I think he would probably be more familiar with the daisy dukes cutoff look. :D

Wth? How did I become the main topic of conversation? Lol.

On the topic it did work great over 3g. I started to embarrass him when he walked by a couple of females since he was on speaker but....... Lol.

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk

Did I have the shave going on then? If so it wasn't as low as it is now (razor) lol. Talk about glare!!!!

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)