AT&T TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

docdaddy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I didn't see a thread on ATT TV's new launch. After looking at their offerings, I'm not really sure who their target audience is. Pricing is pretty much DirectV pricing (intro for a year, then a price around $135 a year for a midrange package) plus $120 fee for every extra box to connect TVs in other rooms. DVR limited to 500 hours (which may be overkill for some, not enough for others, but I don't see an option for external storage, though that's not expected in internet based services.) So if you already have Dish or Directv, why would you switch to this?

I didn't see a thread on ATT TV's new launch. After looking at their offerings, I'm not really sure who their target audience is. Pricing is pretty much DirectV pricing (intro for a year, then a price around $135 a year for a midrange package) plus $120 fee for every extra box to connect TVs in other rooms. DVR limited to 500 hours (which may be overkill for some, not enough for others, but I don't see an option for external storage, though that's not expected in internet based services.) So if you already have Dish or Directv, why would you switch to this?

Watch Out For These Hidden Fees in the New AT&T TV Plans

Some more info on ATT TV (some will apply to ATT TV Now also)

Currently there is no app for Roku or any of the game consoles. Hard to believe that Roku isn’t a supported platform.

The ATT TV box that is part of their subscription model doesn’t have Hulu or Amazon Prime apps for it, so it just isn’t ready to be the ‘one box’ your could go to.

ATT TV is the only live streaming with 5.1 audio, the others are only doing stereo for the live channels though some have VOD that is 5.1. Don’t know if the 5.1 is available on all live channels though.

And right now, ATT TV is offering HBO as part of the package for new signups for a year. That could be something to consider if you usually keep HBO all the time.

As noted by the OP, the DVR is 500 hours which should be more than enough considering that retention is only 30 days, among the shortest retention of any streamer. IMO, that’s not good at all.

And the market speaks yet again!

Still shedding customers across the board.
193K loss in ATT TV streaming
890K+ loss in cable/sat

Seems the bloodbath isn’t over yet. IMO, it won’t ever be if they don’t do something with their streaming offers. Absolutely none of their streaming offerings are hitting a sweet spot.

Reactions: Radioguy41

890K+ loss in cable/sat

Seems the bloodbath isn’t over yet. IMO, it won’t ever be if they don’t do something with their streaming offers. Absolutely none of their streaming offerings are hitting a sweet spot.

Wait until next quarter ( April-June), that is going to be a real bloodbath in Sub. losses for Traditional Providers with so many people out of work.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Wait until next quarter ( April-June), that is going to be a real bloodbath in Sub. losses for Traditional Providers with so many people out of work.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I can’t imagine it not being that way for many providers, even the non-traditional. But we can blame the coronavirus for that to a great extent.

Absolutely none of their streaming offerings are hitting a sweet spot.

Color me surprised that people are not signing up in droves for the highest price service.

4bf57a8f8d6a2af844b96bd0a5b55933.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

890K+ loss in cable/sat

They don't seem to Want to be competitive ....
They started out competitive with one of thier services, around $35, then quickly upped the price, then again in the same year ...now, its slightly less than a full sub to D*.

I may look into the HBO Max streaming option if I can get it on my Sony TV and not have to buy/lease a box and if theres no Commitment.

I think it's $14.99, but it includes HBO, which in most cases is the same price.

They started out competitive with one of thier services, around $35,

And if you prepaid three months, they gave you an Apple TV. I got two. Should have gotten a third.

But, that deal now costs over double that, grandfathered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the solution! They should simply raise prices yet again!

Each person paying more, equals more profit, right? LOL.

In one of the articles I read yesterday said they made that very point in their presentation.

HBO Max - well if you like HBO and HBO Max is it and more for the same money, it shouldn’t even be a decision you would need to think about.

ATT TV Now - Not hard to see why they keep losing subs on this. When ATT took it over with the acquisition of DirecTV they quickly raised the price and dropped some channels. You know that old ‘less for more’ trick that is always so successful! :)

From my admittedly non professional view it seems AT&T is hell bent on making their streaming offerings the failure they are turning out to be.

In one of the articles I read yesterday said they made that very point in their presentation.

HBO Max - well if you like HBO and HBO Max is it and more for the same money, it shouldn’t even be a decision you would need to think about.

ATT TV Now - Not hard to see why they keep losing subs on this. When ATT took it over with the acquisition of DirecTV they quickly raised the price and dropped some channels. You know that old ‘less for more’ trick that is always so successful! :)

From my admittedly non professional view it seems AT&T is hell bent on making their streaming offerings the failure they are turning out to be.
Wait, ATT going to Streaming platforms was suppose to make you want to Drop Directv for it with better prices and about the same packages ...
So, they went out to diminish D* as much as they can ... (I don't include the price increase of D* as they always raise it once a year) and then went and chaned programming and dropped channels and raised prices on the streaming service ATT TV (Now), they were pushing people to ... and now they don't want THAT one ... they want you to move to HBO Max ...

Personally, I will stay AWAY from any ATT Streaming services, until I see some stability ... I don't think any of them have been around for over a year at this point without them abandoning one of them.

Surprise, Surprise, surprise ....

HBO Max is not designed to replace their other streaming products. But their message about it is a bit confusing. It is supposed to be HBO plus a lot more but at the same price. I think the idea behind HBO Max is to get more keep it all the time subscribers instead of the ones that sub for a bit a couple times a year.

So how or why would anyone that likes HBO not want HBO Max?

For ATT TV Now the only path forward to get subscribers IMO, is to drop the Plus level as it is channel starved and grossly overpriced. Keep the Max level without HBO and Cinemax and price it at $55-$60. It is a pretty good channel lineup in both number of channels and breadth of interest coverage.

For ATT TV - well I don’t think there is any path forward for it. It is just cable/sat without the cable and satellite, offering no real benefit to the consumer. It was always going to be a tough sell. Next quarter’s financials should show the failure that I expect it to be.

Well eating some of my own words! :)

Just signed up for ATT TV with the Entertainment level. That level has all the channels I actually care about though it is missing a few of some very rarely watched channels. So not a big deal. Streaming is almost always a trade-off between channel selection and money.

What attracted me to it was that they are now giving a $100 rebate for those only signing up for TV and a full year of HBO/HBO Max as well as the usual 3 months of the other premiums. The plan is to keep it for 12 months then cancel and pay the ETF. With the rebate and ETF figured in, it brings the effective monthly cost to $57/month which is a good deal IMO.

Using their app since I don’t have their little box yet the results are mixed.

AppleTV 4K - No 5.1 audio, which just ticks me off! Performance otherwise is fine though it takes playing around with some odd ways the remote interacts with the app. The DVR is 500 hours and 90 day retention which works fine for me. It works very well and the search function is very good. HD PQ is right up their with the best streamers, audio is fine except for missing 5.1 on the ATV.

FireTV Cube - 5.1 audio in all its glory!! But the audio levels are fairly low requiring me to push the soundbar a bit to get the volume levels I want. Overall performance is sluggish though everything works. Trick play on the FireTV works, but other than the timeline you can’t tell whether you are past the ads yet, kind of irritating. On the AppleTV it attempts to show the video while you use trick play but can’t keep up to make it really good.

Hopefully their little box will be good though because of missing apps it won’t be the one box fits all that the ATV is.

Got the ATT box. It really makes a world of difference and gives the best control of a streaming service of any I’ve looked at. Full 5.1 audio on every channel I’ve checked, HD PQ is great and the operation of the box with the ATT TV service is fantastic.

That said, for all other things, like using some of the apps available for it, it just sucks! App lockup’s occur fairly often, and if you switch apps too quickly or too often the box crashes and reboots. And no Atmos audio support at all.

890K+ loss in cable/sat

It is a streaming service. Why should there any fees? No other streaming service has additional fees. I see this dying, just like everything else AT&T touches. Hard to believe AT&T used to be decent company many years ago.

It is a streaming service. Why should there any fees? No other streaming service has additional fees. I see this dying, just like everything else AT&T touches. Hard to believe AT&T used to be decent company many years ago.

To be fair, the streaming losses in that article were all ATT TV Now which doesn’t have any fees. It isn’t very competitive in channel lineup or cost.

ATT TV does have RSN fees for the subscription levels that have RSNs, but ATT doesn’t want us thinking about that service as a competitor in the streaming market, though it actually is, they want you to see it just like cable/sat with contracts, ETFs and extra fees. And it is fair to say that only ATT is offering the number and breadth of channel offerings. The problem is that the real benefit of ATT TV is all to ATT with just no equipment fees to the consumer.

IMO, the only way to look at ATT TV is as a one-year deal @$15/month more than advertised and that’s because the 2nd year pricing is just outrageous.

HBO Max is not designed to replace their other streaming products. But their message about it is a bit confusing. It is supposed to be HBO plus a lot more but at the same price. I think the idea behind HBO Max is to get more keep it all the time subscribers instead of the ones that sub for a bit a couple times a year.

So how or why would anyone that likes HBO not want HBO Max?

For ATT TV Now the only path forward to get subscribers IMO, is to drop the Plus level as it is channel starved and grossly overpriced. Keep the Max level without HBO and Cinemax and price it at $55-$60. It is a pretty good channel lineup in both number of channels and breadth of interest coverage.

For ATT TV - well I don’t think there is any path forward for it. It is just cable/sat without the cable and satellite, offering no real benefit to the consumer. It was always going to be a tough sell. Next quarter’s financials should show the failure that I expect it to be.
They STILL have toooooo many products in the market, but they are working on narrowing it down, all by themselves ... just keep charging more than anyone else, that will narrow them down just fine.

Reactions: Joe h

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)