AT&T Wants low ARPU customers gone

So the employees don’t use the WiFi and run off 4G instead.

1.5 is pitiful
Like I said,, the businesses only have the internet for thier CC and a few other things, related to running the store ....
Its not there for the customers or the employees use.

Then again, some businesses do have internet for the customers ...
McDonalds and Tim Horton's are a few and they Do have very low speeds on thier internet as well

I find McDonalds to be very annoying, if you happen to have wifi turned on when you walk in, it takes you to some McDonalds page and you have to actually SIGN IN in order to use it ... and it is so slow that I turn it off and use the 4G.

The closest Tim Horton's to where I live and the one near work both have 100 Mb x 10 Mb connections for customer use. Even if I used public wifi, which I don't, I can pull in faster speeds on LTE at both of those locations so it's a moot point.

I get my service from three separate providers.

I have television from AT&T’s DirecTV. I have phone from Verizon. I have Internet from Comcast. (I am in Michigan.) Except for Verizon, I call in for possible discounts. And I have done well. The idea of bundling, under one, seems attractive. But, Comcast is behind on HD for television and, in my area, AT&T is not acceptable to me for its low Internet speeds.

This works for me.

Reactions: Justy5
I get my service from three separate providers.

I have television from AT&T’s DirecTV. I have phone from Verizon. I have Internet from Comcast. (I am in Michigan.) Except for Verizon, I call in for possible discounts. And I have done well. The idea of bundling, under one, seems attractive. But, Comcast is behind on HD for television and, in my area, AT&T is not acceptable to me for its low Internet speeds.

This works for me.
I agree with the Not going with one provider ...

Reactions: ncted
Some customers do, some don't. Either way, industry stats over the past several years have clearly showed cable internet growing at the expense of telco (DSL) providers. Uverse is basically a faster form of DSL but can't keep up with cable in terms of speeds. And whether consumers need more speed or not, lots of them want it and cable has succeeded in selling them on it. A few Uverse customers closest to their VRADs can get 100 Mbps service, which is pretty fast, but lots of Uverse customers further out are on speed tiers like 50 or 25 or 18. When I checked for a nearby friend a year or so ago, her address only qualified for the very lowest Uverse speed tier and couldn't even receive Uverse TV service (not enough bandwidth, I guess). Needless to say, she went with Comcast.

AT&T wouldn't be spending the money to upgrade their Uverse areas (as well as adjacent areas that never even got Uverse in the first place) to full fiber if they thought Uverse was sufficient to compete against cable. It may have been back in 2006 when it launched but it's not now 13 years later.

Your absolutely right. It’s the fact they don’t service all households in an area and the fact copper is getting more expensive to maintain is why they are upgrading to fiber.

Hopefully with fiber they won’t need to upgrade their network in our lifetimes

Your absolutely right. It’s the fact they don’t service all households in an area and the fact copper is getting more expensive to maintain is why they are upgrading to fiber.

Hopefully with fiber they won’t need to upgrade their network in our lifetimes

Nothing beats fiber-to-the-home and there's nothing on the technological horizon that could conceivably beat it in the future, all things considered (speed, reliability, operational costs/efficiencies, etc.). It's just too bad that AT&T didn't invest in their network a decade or more ago to upgrade straight from copper/DSL to FTTH as opposed to cheaping out with Uverse FTTN ("DSL 2.0"). Rather than taking on debt to buy a satellite TV system that was at its peak and would only ever go downhill from there, they could have taken on debt to aggressively improve their fiber network. Now they're still spending the money on fiber anyway but they're playing catch-up because of the diversion to FTTN.

Its too expensive...so everyone us shifting to 5g
Nothing beats fiber-to-the-home and there's nothing on the technological horizon that could conceivably beat it in the future, all things considered (speed, reliability, operational costs/efficiencies, etc.). It's just too bad that AT&T didn't invest in their network a decade or more ago to upgrade straight from copper/DSL to FTTH as opposed to cheaping out with Uverse FTTN ("DSL 2.0"). Rather than taking on debt to buy a satellite TV system that was at its peak and would only ever go downhill from there, they could have taken on debt to aggressively improve their fiber network. Now they're still spending the money on fiber anyway but they're playing catch-up because of the diversion to FTTN.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I sell Comcast and every day I get a customer who asks if it’s “unlimited” and I have to explain the 1024 gig data cap. Then the conversation turns to them worrying 1024 gigs is not enough, until I have to assure them that very rarely does anyone actually hit that cap.

Why do you not push Comcast’s xFi Advantage to Customers, no data cap for $15 a month, since modem rental is $10, that means just $5 for no data cap, a lot better then the $50 a month they are charging for unlimited data.

We are always over 1TBs a month, well worth it.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

i read it as they want people that keep demanding credits gone
They want the $10 a month DirecTV Now customers gone. Or the DirecTV Now customers who cancel and then re-sign up again every three months.

They still are fighting for the $35 a month DirecTV satellite subscribers.

Its too expensive...so everyone us shifting to 5g

Yep, installing FTTH is expensive and it'll likely never happen across the entire nation, the way that electrical power lines and phone lines did.

But all those 5G cells/towers will need to be connected to fiber, so we should still see more fiber laid by AT&T and others. I think AT&T's plan for extending their home broadband service footprint is, for the next couple of years, to keep growing FTTH here and there in certain patches of the suburbs, where it makes sense commercially. (They just came down my street last fall, an upgrade from Uverse FTTN, and then to my parents' neighborhood in another state this spring, where the only service AT&T had ever offered was landline phone, not even DSL internet. So we'll see a little more of that.

And then maybe a year or two from now, to start using 5G-over-AirGig as a cheaper and faster-to-deploy substitute for FTTH. Hopefully the economics there will allow AT&T to expand their broadband footprint out into exurban and even rural areas.
AT&T’s Project AirGig could extend 5G mmWave signals

Why do you not push Comcast’s xFi Advantage to Customers, no data cap for $15 a month, since modem rental is $10, that means just $5 for no data cap, a lot better then the $50 a month they are charging for unlimited data.

I need to look into that. The XFI is not in the sales portal yet

I agree. If they would have started this 15 years ago they would be in a lot better position today.

Thats thier own doing as well as the low cost D* Now and ATT Watch ... they want those people gone with the cheap packages, those are the same ones that they used to get the service off the ground.

Every provider I have ever worked with wants to get rid of customers with the lowest cheapest package or keeps on demanding credits.

I think about 10 years ago sprint sent several thousand of these customers letters telling them they where let out or their contracts and had 30 days to find a new provider.

I’m really surprised Directv, AT&T and Dish has not done this yet.

The closest I have seen to this was the audit department at Dish, but their goal was to force account stackers to create separate accounts for multiple locations. However this was rarely the case, and instead of these people setting up 2 accounts they decided to cancel instead because Dish would limit their account to 1 receiver.

Where I live it's another $55 per month. My current ISP is WOW! and I don't have any caps at a lower price without any promos. I do use my own equipment though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts