IMG_3183.JPG
IMG_3181.JPG
IMG_3180.JPG
IMG_3179.JPG
58223810594__34FC7DB9-456C-4D5C-A96B-245094E09FB1.JPG
58223811696__8AD43209-66E2-4B02-8524-0DD57C7D28C1.JPG
58223813178__6CB37E0B-D1CA-4A37-AAEA-BC3F636B1F04.JPG
58223814293__06A18092-BD83-4F84-81CF-E2BE460354DC.JPG

It looks very interesting ,and complex , you must have alot of smarts ,and exsperiance ,Very interstering, thanks for posting. Claude.

I can't believe they deploy those wimpy little dishes even on commercial buildings serving many customers. Bet all the guests will be thrilled when they lose TV every time it rains.

Reactions: MikeI and vurbano
How many rooms/TVs is this set up for and what receiver model is in each of the room/TV? The RV resort I live in has a Directv setup, but it is only SD. I am curious as to what will have to be redone to make each site able to get HD? The receivers for this setup is in the control room and the feed is then sent out to each site

I can't believe they deploy those wimpy little dishes even on commercial buildings serving many customers. Bet all the guests will be thrilled when they lose TV every time it rains.

I've been in a couple of hotels where the TV service went out when it stormed. In one case, when we called the front desk to complain, they told us to come down to the bar if we wanted to watch "the game" since they had cable in the bar.

How many rooms/TVs is this set up for and what receiver model is in each of the room/TV? The RV resort I live in has a Directv setup, but it is only SD. I am curious as to what will have to be redone to make each site able to get HD? The receivers for this setup is in the control room and the feed is then sent out to each site

100 rooms, HD over coax using encryption.

54 channels

Reactions: whitewolf8214
The Technicolor box must be where the magic happens - does that act as the DirecTV receivers and then send an ATSC signal to the TVs allowing the rooms to just use the tuner built into the TV?
With 3 modules in that thing that would be 18 channels per, or 9 channels per incoming coax, something like that?

Crazy the level of items it takes to make that work, such as the SWMs and all the power inserters. They have larger setups for commercial, but I'm guessing this is more cost effective.

The Technicolor box must be where the magic happens - does that act as the DirecTV receivers and then send an ATSC signal to the TVs allowing the rooms to just use the tuner built into the TV?
With 3 modules in that thing that would be 18 channels per, or 9 channels per incoming coax, something like that?

Crazy the level of items it takes to make that work, such as the SWMs and all the power inserters. They have larger setups for commercial, but I'm guessing this is more cost effective.

Yeah 6 lines from the dish, then a whole mess of amps, splitters and switches to bring 6 lines into the com3k

Was that the only spot you could get a LOS, in the middle of the roof?

The hardest thing to do when installing a com3000 is unboxing the Completely Built Rack (all components prewired and configured) out of its wooden crate...
~child’s play~
Oh and maybe stringing the 6 coaxes to pickup the RB transponders...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bamasat
Nice work, congratulations. Reminds me of some big installs I've done where you need all four walls, floor to ceiling of a large Telco closet to house all your satellite junk. On large installs feeding hundreds or more receivers I like to use the old 1.2m Alaska/Hawaii dishes, which give about 5dB more headroom for rain fade. They are a PIA to assemble and align compared to a Slimline but its worth it giving much better C/N at the furthest runs in the system.

I have a funny install, or lack of it story about when Directv first launched HD over Ka band. The Directv CEO and other big guys were at corporate headquarters in a nice media room waiting for the first Ka HD broadcast that never came for them. Nobody thought to upgrade the old Ku only dishes and building infrastructure for Ka band at DTV corporate headquarters, so no HD anywhere in the building. Oops. Then I got a call to quickly redesign the system and get it installed in 11 floors of the building then later I put in DTV Latin America and Sky Mexico on several floors. That was probably 15 or more years ago and I have no clue what the equipment closets look like today.

Reactions: navychop
Sounds like a odd way to go about it and to wind up with less channels?

Every time I've stayed in a hotel with DirecTV they had a commercial H25 hidden behind the TV...

Just a guess, but with 100 rooms at $100 a piece for a commercial H25 (if not more since they are full purchase for commercial), you're looking at $10k in just receivers. I have no idea what that COM unit Claude used costs, but there is a good chance it is less than $10k (or at least comparable). Also less maintenance, if one receiver goes bad, sending someone to replace it is not cost effective. Having them all in the one unit, which likely has remote configuration, can reduce service costs as well. Lastly, easier install, especially if the rooms are already wired with TV to the wall jack, such as if they used an in house cable head-end previously.

Now I'm curious to see what Claude says really is the logic.

Just a guess, but with 100 rooms at $100 a piece for a commercial H25 (if not more since they are full purchase for commercial), you're looking at $10k in just receivers. I have no idea what that COM unit Claude used costs, but there is a good chance it is less than $10k (or at least comparable). Also less maintenance, if one receiver goes bad, sending someone to replace it is not cost effective. Having them all in the one unit, which likely has remote configuration, can reduce service costs as well. Lastly, easier install, especially if the rooms are already wired with TV to the wall jack, such as if they used an in house cable head-end previously.

Now I'm curious to see what Claude says really is the logic.

$11,000 for roughly 48 channels.

The advantage here is your using the existing cable wiring and there is no boxes in the rooms.

The fact that some hotels can cost several thousand dollars to run home runs to all the rooms, and the fact some hotels prefer no boxes in the rooms, this solution makes sense for most properties.

DRE is nice because it has more channels , but it sucks to install unless your running all new wiring.

But when you really think about it, you can get a majority of the channels with 48 channels.

Reactions: c-spand and ncted
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)