Install I’m working on at a hotel

Status
Please reply by conversation.
They still don't have locals streaming in all markets for Directv Now, if they ever plan to offer such a feature they'd probably wait until all their markets are covered so it is easier to advertise without asterisks. Even then it won't be as seamless as some might want since the streaming would run well behind the satellite. It would also reduce the incentive customers to get their dish fixed if it automatically cut over to streaming but doing that streaming isn't free for Directv.
Won’t they need to have the locals in the main markets in HD on the internet if they want DTV over IP to be exactly like DTV over satelliteTV?

They still don't have locals streaming in all markets for Directv Now, if they ever plan to offer such a feature they'd probably wait until all their markets are covered so it is easier to advertise without asterisks. Even then it won't be as seamless as some might want since the streaming would run well behind the satellite. It would also reduce the incentive customers to get their dish fixed if it automatically cut over to streaming but doing that streaming isn't free for Directv.

Even with my old HR24 offers me the ability to "watch from beginning" the current program via streaming on most of the channels, so I really don't think it would be too difficult to switch to streaming on those channels when the satellite goes down. I guess I can just manually do it if there is potential for it to be going out.

Won’t they need to have the locals in the main markets in HD on the internet if they want DTV over IP to be exactly like DTV over satelliteTV?

They will, but it seems they still have markets missing from Directv Now so I almost wonder if some of the delays in the Directv via IP is getting all the contracts in place so it really is the same channel lineup and just a different delivery method.

Even with my old HR24 offers me the ability to "watch from beginning" the current program via streaming on most of the channels, so I really don't think it would be too difficult to switch to streaming on those channels when the satellite goes down. I guess I can just manually do it if there is potential for it to be going out.

Imagine if you have a big storm hitting NYC or some other densely populated area during prime viewing hours and it automatically starts up hundreds of thousands of streams at once. Their infrastructure will have to be able to handle that sort of scenario for the Directv via IP product to be a success, but this isn't something they could have been capable of doing a couple years ago. So saying "I don't think it would be too difficult" is not accurate. Sure, it wouldn't be difficult to have the software in the Genies go to a stream, but the successful delivery of those streams is anything but "not too difficult". This isn't Netflix, they can't buffer many minutes ahead to hide any network issues, live streaming is a whole different animal.

Reactions: navychop
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)