At&t's future plan for Satellite service?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I live in a rural area, been with DirecTV since 1995, the only "real" high speed internet here is two wireless "WISP" providers. While service has improved somewhat in the last 12 years, it is no where near stable enough or fast enough to support full time streaming HDTV.

Time Warner is the cable provider for the small town (pop 2500) right near me, and another small nearby town, No HD, No Internet service, No DVR, basically 50 or so SD only channels.

Frontier recently bought out Verizon here for the Landline Phone system, again no internet or tv service, just old fashioned landline phone service, with crappier customer service now.

Most of the population of my rural county of 20K have Satellite TV (DISH or Direct) from what I have seen, I would like to know what percentage of DirecTV customers are in rural areas without reliable internet such as mine?

I don't see how AT&T can even think about shutting down its DirecTV Satellite Service in coming years without leaving a good amount of its customer base without TV service, unless some Massive Nationwide rural internet expansion happens, which I highly doubt.

I live in a rural area, been with DirecTV since 1995, the only "real" high speed internet here is two wireless "WISP" providers. While service has improved somewhat in the last 12 years, it is no where near stable enough or fast enough to support full time streaming HDTV.

Time Warner is the cable provider for the small town (pop 2500) right near me, and another small nearby town, No HD, No Internet service, No DVR, basically 50 or so SD only channels.

Frontier recently bought out Verizon here for the Landline Phone system, again no internet or tv service, just old fashioned landline phone service, with crappier customer service now.

Most of the population of my rural county of 20K have Satellite TV (DISH or Direct) from what I have seen, I would like to know what percentage of DirecTV customers are in rural areas without reliable internet such as mine?

I don't see how AT&T can even think about shutting down its DirecTV Satellite Service in coming years without leaving a good amount of its customer base without TV service, unless some Massive Nationwide rural internet expansion happens, which I highly doubt.
I highly doubt that they will shut down the actual Sat side of things ....
They will get D* Now stable and continue it as long as its working ...
I mentioned before that the D* Now was an option for people, not something that would replace its format.
There are many reasons for that, many which have been mentioned already.

I highly doubt that they will shut down the actual Sat side of things ....
They will get D* Now stable and continue it as long as its working ...
I mentioned before that the D* Now was an option for people, not something that would replace its format.
There are many reasons for that, many which have been mentioned already.
Look up PowerLine interney

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Broadband access speeds are still only part of the equation, you still have to work out the engineering problems with distribution of content at scale.

There have been a few good quotes in articles about MLB Advance Media, the company behind MLB.tv that became the infrastructure provider for NHL.tv, WatchESPN, PlayStation Vue, HBO NOW, WWE Network, and others.

From http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/4/9090897/mlb-bam-live-streaming-internet-tv-nhl-hbo-now-espn

"What people forget is that the internet, as a technology, was never designed to do something like this — deliver flawless video simultaneously to millions of people." Inzerillo explains. "I liken it to trying to live on Mercury. The planet is completely inhospitable. Every day all you’re doing is [fighting] a battle for survival in a place that really does not want you. Streaming video on the internet is sort of like that."

"The thing about broadcast television is, today people probably think of it as stodgy old engineers with big beer bellies and a pocket protector," says Inzerillo. "But the truth is that there are a lot of things about the way they do it, the technology and the philosophy, that make it incredibly stable and scalable."

And from https://www.thestreet.com/story/134...-to-build-a-new-streaming-sports-service.html

MLBAM's Bowman ... said the non-baseball streaming business generates roughly 30 percent of MLBAM's overall revenue.

MLBAM is not likely to bid on the package of Thursday night football games currently being offered by the National Football League, Bowman said, largely because the technology doesn't exist to offer what he said were 10 million concurrent video streams at one time without degrading the viewer experience.

From http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2016/02/19/Media/MLBAM-OTT.aspx

Asked if a streaming service like Apple or Google would be awarded rights to something like "Thursday Night Football," Bowman said, "No. To do 10 million concurrent streams in the U.S.? No one's done them. The most we've ever done in terms of concurrency is we've kissed 2 million concurrents, and that's for some of our partners, not for baseball."

Can these engineering obstacles be overcome? Sure. The problem is that you're going to spend hundreds of billions of dollars in upgrading infrastructure only to try to get back to delivering the same service you already offer today through other means. If cable and satellite companies retool their pricing model to compete with Internet streaming options, it's going to take away the most compelling reason the majority of people leave traditional video companies for an OTT solution.

Broadband access speeds are still only part of the equation, you still have to work out the engineering problems with distribution of content at scale.

There have been a few good quotes in articles about MLB Advance Media, the company behind MLB.tv that became the infrastructure provider for NHL.tv, WatchESPN, PlayStation Vue, HBO NOW, WWE Network, and others.

From http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/4/9090897/mlb-bam-live-streaming-internet-tv-nhl-hbo-now-espn

And from https://www.thestreet.com/story/134...-to-build-a-new-streaming-sports-service.html

From http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2016/02/19/Media/MLBAM-OTT.aspx

Can these engineering obstacles be overcome? Sure. The problem is that you're going to spend hundreds of billions of dollars in upgrading infrastructure only to try to get back to delivering the same service you already offer today through other means. If cable and satellite companies retool their pricing model to compete with Internet streaming options, it's going to take away the most compelling reason the majority of people leave traditional video companies for an OTT solution.
The savings from satellite deployment will pay for it

its not happening. Period. Not for the foreseeable future.
There may be technology on the white board. Its implementation after years of beta testing, will be lengthy.
For rural areas, decades. If at all. The 48 Contiguous states comprise over 2.6 million square miles. Granted we occupy a small portion of that land area, but to get the internet to these far flung places means the uninhabited ares must be traversed either by wired plant. Or towers and hardware must be constructed to facilitate delivery of the services

The savings from satellite deployment will pay for it

No way. A satellite costs $1.5 billion including one third of that for pay load fees.
To bring the kind of high speed internet to every single residence in the country would cost 50 times that.

No way. A satellite costs $1.5 billion including one third of that for pay load fees.
To bring the kind of high speed internet to every single residence in the country would cost 50 times that.
The backbone exists..the final mile will be cellular or PowerLine

The backbone exists..the final mile will be cellular or PowerLine

Sure is taking all of the teleco's a long time on that "last mile" in rural areas if that's all that's left. I've been waiting on a last mile for decent speeds for 10 years.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Truth is they don't care..they just want to make money..
Right, which is why they're creating options.

DirecTV NOW is just going after a different customer base, the same as Cricket in the wireless space.

Think about all the multi-feed commercial accounts and sports bars that have DirecTV service - Internet delivery would present a logistical challenge and major expense. The satellite operations costs aren't going anywhere and it kinda doesn't matter; according to the financial reports from DirecTV the uplink facilities, networks to collect locals, satellite amortization, insurance, licensing, etc only represent 3% of their direct costs tied to revenue.

Satellites just aren't all that expensive in the grand scheme of delivering TV.

Right, which is why they're creating options.

Think about all the multi-feed commercial accounts and sports bars that have DirecTV service - Internet delivery would present a logistical challenge and major expense. The satellite operations costs aren't going anywhere and it kinda doesn't matter; according to the financial reports from DirecTV the uplink facilities, networks to collect locals, satellite amortization, insurance, licensing, etc only represent 3% of their direct costs tied to revenue.

Satellites just aren't all that expensive in the grand scheme of delivering TV.
Internet means more consumer choice..actual pick and choose what channels you want..

I have now 50 mg service, more than I need, and a voip phone line after taxes and fees cost me $95.
That's about $40 more than I wanted.
I would be happy with 25 mg, but the company claims they don't have that speed, even though I had it for 6 months or longer earlier.
If I want to lower my speed/bill, they only have option of 10 mg ... and it only saves me like $10 a month.

So you trade one expense (D* in this case) for more expensive internet.
Where's the savings ?
Savings?..is a cell phone really cheaper than a landline?..remember you had one landline for everybody in your family but you know have a cellphone for everyone..the younger generation is turning away from traditional cable..Internet is just another hook..if you look way way back at the history of att..they owned a radio and television backbone (before satellite) that fed all the radio and television stations..the internet is really just an extension of that..they are looking beyond tv..kinda scary to allow a phone company that much access to our lives..more opportunities to sell more information with Internet compared to satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts