AT&T's new streaming box offered to Directv Now customers for testing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
One thing that would be interesting is if this new HS27 was able to do Sat AND IP, to a point that if your Sat loses signal (rain/snow or obstruction I guess) it would kick over to Internet base so you could still watch TV.
Or what if they would just let you have DTV over IP for free if you have DTV over SatelliteTV? Then you could use the C71KW at the same time as the SatelliteTV DVR's and receivers?

Or what if they would just let you have DTV over IP for free if you have DTV over SatelliteTV? Then you could use the C71KW at the same time as the SatelliteTV DVR's and receivers?
Good idea, so obviously it won't happen.

Or those that already have D* Sat, get D* Now free.

It would be nice if they would contact Employees about testing thier products, those that are interested anyways .... naw, that won't happen either.

I like what I am seeing, especially the remote control having numbers, iptv with channel numbers would make things a lot easier for older folks, especially my old man who is not tech savvy, every time he runs into an issue he calls me... I tried to have him switch to streaming but it was way too complicated, it would save him tons since he only watched a select number of cable channels.

With that said, the future is cloud dvr.

One thing that would be interesting is if this new HS27 was able to do Sat AND IP, to a point that if your Sat loses signal (rain/snow or obstruction I guess) it would kick over to Internet base so you could still watch TV.

The problem is that the IP stream will likely be behind the satellite stream (the closer to "live" it is the more impact a brief network hiccup has on the stream) so that might not work too well. Its possible, but they would probably tell people who are interested in that "hey you can avoid rain fade entirely with the IP product" - then those customers will want to put up a dish as backup for when their internet goes out! :D

As for giving the IP product "for free" to satellite customers, dream on! People would just find ways to abuse it to have Directv in two locations.

Reactions: reddice
The problem is that the IP stream will likely be behind the satellite stream (the closer to "live" it is the more impact a brief network hiccup has on the stream) so that might not work too well. Its possible, but they would probably tell people who are interested in that "hey you can avoid rain fade entirely with the IP product" - then those customers will want to put up a dish as backup for when their internet goes out! :D

As for giving the IP product "for free" to satellite customers, dream on! People would just find ways to abuse it to have Directv in two locations.
fwiw, D* Does allow service in more than 1 location.

How is the DTV Everywhere App going to work with DTV over IP? I think they said the DTV Everywhere App would get the DTV Now interface. Couldn't they put the DTV Everywhere App on the C71KW and maybe even the C71K if that one has Android TV?

fwiw, D* Does allow service in more than 1 location.

It is against their terms of service. That they look the other way in many cases doesn't mean they are going to make it easier for people to do by giving satellite customers the IP offering for free.

It is against their terms of service. That they look the other way in many cases doesn't mean they are going to make it easier for people to do by giving satellite customers the IP offering for free.
I didn't say ANY of what you posted ....

Many people have explained that they have a cottage or vacation home that they have a 2nd set up and D* is Fine with it.
Thats NOT what the Account Stacking is about.

So..basically, AT&T started out with IPTV (Uverse) but a few years back started pushing everyone to Directv because Uverse was a strain on the infrastructure (or something like that). Now, they are trying to push everyone back to Uverse (or something like it) instead of satellite?

So..basically, AT&T started out with IPTV (Uverse) but a few years back started pushing everyone to Directv because Uverse was a strain on the infrastructure (or something like that). Now, they are trying to push everyone back to Uverse (or something like it) instead of satellite?
No..its a streaming box with a cable like interface...uverse was dsl

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

No..its a streaming box with a cable like interface...uverse was dsl

Uverse was DSL, but Uverse TV was basically IPTV with dedicated hardware - same as what the upcoming 'Directv via IP' will be. You could also get it via AT&T fiber, so it didn't only work with DSL but it was designed to work with DSL and had to live within the limitations for minimum service levels for their DSL.

Since it was only offered via AT&T connections it was essentially a private IPTV offering which I believe is regulated like cable (i.e. requirements for what locals are provided, franchise fees, etc.) The new service will be available to anyone, not only AT&T customers, so it won't fall under cable regulations.

Reactions: Jimbo
I get that IP delivery is the future and, in theory, I'm OK with that. The problem is the Cloud DVR and the 'very' limited storage and time limits available. Let's face it, they won't keep thousands of copies of the same program for customers. The DVR 'recording' is simply a pointer to a show that lives on a server somewhere (not much different than an icon on a computer desktop that 'points' at a file somewhere else on the system). Therefore there is no reason to so severely limit the amount of recordings and have artificial time limits for watching them (30-90 days, depending on the streaming service). Until there is a lot more storage included in the base price DirecTV via IP or DirecTV Now will not be welcome in my home. It's simply too limiting for my viewing habits.

Uverse was DSL, but Uverse TV was basically IPTV with dedicated hardware - same as what the upcoming 'Directv via IP' will be. You could also get it via AT&T fiber, so it didn't only work with DSL but it was designed to work with DSL and had to live within the limitations for minimum service levels for their DSL.

Since it was only offered via AT&T connections it was essentially a private IPTV offering which I believe is regulated like cable (i.e. requirements for what locals are provided, franchise fees, etc.) The new service will be available to anyone, not only AT&T customers, so it won't fall under cable regulations.
I meant that uverse was an internet provider with slow speeds

This will not go good here my wife would have a hard time understanding streaming direc or anything else’s.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)